Kid size?

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Lynne,

I know what you're saying but patience has its limits.

I'm happy to "play" with the English language if anyone wants to join in the game.

In the meantime, we all know the answer to the question "what is a cot?"

Fluffy
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

Alan,
My post was in good spirt; your post was the most obnoxious, unnecessary reply I have ever read on a forum.

Whever your personal feelings are towards the evolution of the English language, I was under the impression that this forum was to help manage your guests...and I would assume that that would inclue branching out and appealing to the broadest target market of potential clients, which does include those who do not reside in the UK.

From Webster's Dictonary of the English Language:
cot (kot) n. a light portable bad, esp. one of canvas stretched on a frame.

crib (krib) n. 1. a child's bed with enclosed sides. 2. a manger for fodder
[/b]
paolo

Post by paolo »

Alan,

Steady on old chap!

Musetta,

Alan has his moments and this was one of them. He doesn't bear you any ill-feeling, it just comes across that way. He's very fluffy really.

Thanks for pointing out those differences - I always refer to a cot and have many American enquiries. So all this time they have probably not visualised the right thing. Maybe that is why I get so few toddlers!
Paolo
Lay My Hat
DivineMrsM

Post by DivineMrsM »

Not trying to cause a scrap or anything, but is the Webster's dictionary an English or American one? Just curious <is ducking>! :)
Lynne
for Metropolitan Retreat in London https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/6712284
and
Le Cheval Blanc in France https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/6714302
enid

Post by enid »

your post was the most obnoxious, unnecessary reply I have ever read on a forum
It was a bit harsh and I think your points were very useful Musetta - but I do know Alan and he is a softy (as well as a fluffy) really.

These postings came as we had just said goodnight to our American friends who are leaving us tomorrow after a week spent mostly teasing each other about the language differences. (My husband is still chuckling Alan and Lynne).

But seriously - we do need to be reminded that if we want to hit as wide an audience as possible we need to be aware of global terminology - after all Alan - there are many English people who happily murder the English language on a daily basis!

P.S. Do you rmemeber Martin and Rowan's laugh in when they used to say - 'Look that up in your Funk and Wagnalls!!! - I was the only person I know who owned one ( still have it) and it's a great encyclopoedic dictionary despite the funny spelling occasionally.
:lol:
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

For once, I was being un-Fluffy and for that I apologise.

My posting was in support of the English language and for that I have no apologies to make.

Alan
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

There are no hard feelings :-) (as far as I know anyway!) I did not realize what a can of worms I opened!

The reason I did point it out is becasue, while most Americans do know that there are many language differences, I am telling you, that they DO NOT realize that "crib" and "cot" have different meanings unless they have been to the UK with children. (we do, however, know that a buggy is a stroller and a nappy is a diaper, mention a dummy (paci.)or a dribbler (bib) though and you will get a blank stare. really.) It really would be a shame to put off a guest over a misunderstanding! (and, as far as the origional post, it would explain why it would be normal to put a three year old child on a "cot".)

F.Y.I. Yes, Webster's is pubished in New York...so I grabbed a dictonary published in the UK....

Collins Italian-English English-Italian Dictorary
Collins London and Glasgow
Printed in Great Britain by Collins Clear-Type Press
1954, Latest Reprint 1973

Crib (crib) n. lettino per bimbo

That, of course, translated, is tiny bed for small child.

I will not bother to go get dictonaries for the French and German translations and from other European publishers - many will say the same (and I am sure some will not)...which brings me to the point that is is not just ugly Americans *gasp* that may be confused...but European, non-English-as-a-first language guests who may be translating as well.
Ju

Post by Ju »

You do have to be careful using the word crib for UK visitors though. A crib is a small bed used for babies up to about 6 months. They are the sort of rocking things you can put next to a parents bed. You could not put a one year old in one, it would not be safe.

By the way the oxford english definition of "cot" is British - a small bed with high sides especially for a baby or small child. US a small folding bed

I use the word cot on my website, and it had not occured to me that US visitors might not understand.

Ju
janskov

Post by janskov »

oh dear.... I am in trouble too.
Would "baby bed" be sufficiently wrong to be undestood by all?
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Maybe a picture/photo of said device on your own website may clarify to all ?
cromercrabholiday

Post by cromercrabholiday »

Maybe we should be developing American versions of our sites that you can reach by selecting the little stars and stripes :lol: