Reduction in council tax for holiday homes

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
Nightowl

Post by Nightowl »

yeah, we pay residential rates; we are Lewisham council.... I'm just worried that they are going to say, nope, you owe us another few thousand instead of giving us a discount and a rebate... .....
Nightowl
Forever going one step forwards and two
backwards......
windrush

Post by windrush »

Nightowl wrote:yeah, we pay residential rates; we are Lewisham council.... I'm just worried that they are going to say, nope, you owe us another few thousand instead of giving us a discount and a rebate... .....
Same here, I'm nervous about enquiring about it and having to give them our details in case it sets an unstoppable process in motion, whether we want it or not ...
Val

rate relief

Post by Val »

I'm pretty sure this is a nationwide scheme covering the whole of England and from what I can tell from reading the site for Wales, covers Wales aswell. It doesn't seem to be discretionary from council to council but the same across the board. Have you looked at www.businesslink.gov.uk , as mentioned at the beginning of this thread?
kg1

Post by kg1 »

Nightowl wrote:yeah, we pay residential rates; we are Lewisham council.... I'm just worried that they are going to say, nope, you owe us another few thousand instead of giving us a discount and a rebate... .....
Hampshire CC were really helpful & did say that legally we shoul be paying Business rates.

Nightowl - why don't you just call them & pretend that you are considering purchasing a property for holiday let & would it be elligible for business rates.
apexblue

Post by apexblue »

We've just changed 2 of ours to BR but Wales do not include the first 140 days and even though 1 has been a holiday let from July 10 is only classed as BR from Dec 10. Is this the norm?
It is better to remain quiet and have one think you are stupid, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt....

The biggest mistake we make in life is thinking we have time.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

No its not, but I seem to remember from another thread that Wales follow different rules......... :roll:
Nightowl

Post by Nightowl »

kyreniagirl wrote:
Hampshire CC were really helpful & did say that legally we shoul be paying Business rates.

Nightowl - why don't you just call them & pretend that you are considering purchasing a property for holiday let & would it be elligible for business rates.
Yeah, I've got that one on me list.....
Nightowl
Forever going one step forwards and two
backwards......
ianh100

Post by ianh100 »

I know this is an old thread. We are about to add a second property, we currently get 100% rebate using SBRR. The rateable value of our current property is £2,200, the new one will be a little more. Not sure if more than £2600 as it is not currently on business rates.

I am struggling to make sense of what the impact will be, do we lose all our SBRR on both or does it reduce?
SusanMay

Post by SusanMay »

Ianh100,

Reading the Government website I understand why you are struggling!

"You can get small business rate relief if the rateable value of each of your other properties is less than £2,600.

The rateable values of the properties are added together and the relief applied to the main property.

You’ll keep getting any existing relief for one year when you get a second property."

So my interpretation is that it will depend on the rateable value of your new property. If is is under £2.6K you'll continue to get relief on one property (not sure which would classify as "main one" though) and if it is more then you won't get any. Perhaps you should ring them....

Btw, I see you are in Sherborne. I went to Lord Digby's High School there a long time ago (it doesn't exist anymore but was in Sherborne House).
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

I have two properties and only get rate relief on one. I know some members here got round receiving it on one only by owning a property each.

I think Susan May has interpreted it correctly in relation to the rateable value having a bearing on whether you receive it at all.

Edit, I see if you apply the rateable value statement to the receipt of relief for a further year, that suggests that if property number two is over the value, that's when you'd still receive it on property one for a further year.