Keywords

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
canda

Keywords

Post by canda »

Does anybody know, if I decide on my keywords, then want to change them in the future (after my site has been published), will I be penalised by the search engines?

Canda
thisfrenchlife

Post by thisfrenchlife »

Hi Canda

Although keywords are important they are not as important to search engines as they used to be.

It is the actual words on the page and the title of each page that is key.

So you want to place keywords within the sentance used to descibe your page's title.

You also need to consider the words used in headlines as these are also used by Google to reference a page.

Another trick is to place your actual address in the footer of every page as this obviously references your area.

This site I put together uses many of these features and if you view the source I have not placed that many keywords in the page.

http://www.giteindordogne.com/

But do a search for 'Gite in Villefranche du Perigord' and the site should be on the first page.

Any questions just fire away.

Regards

Craig

PS - forgot to answer your question... I don't think you will be punished but you'd be better spending your time putting a page together about something local to add to your site.

http://www.thisfrenchlife.com/
canda

Post by canda »

Craig

Thanks for your suggestions. Have already put our address on the footer on each page and am working on page titles. Will work through your other points and hopefully it won't be too long now until I am ready to publish>

Canda
marcus

Post by marcus »

Craig,

In your opinion which is more important - having the right keywords within the document, or the document having inbound links from high ranked and relevant pages?

Or both equally important?

Cheers
Marcus
thisfrenchlife

Post by thisfrenchlife »

marcus wrote:In your opinion which is more important - having the right keywords within the document, or the document having inbound links from high ranked and relevant pages?

Or both equally important?

Cheers
Marcus
Hi Marcus

I really think it comes down to writing articles for your site because this will feature keywords and also get people to link to you.

If you think which sites are the most popular on the internet you are thinking of the BBC and The Guardian.

Of course you can't match them for the amount of pages they have but think what is at the heart of their success.

They produce articles that people are willing to link to - and that is what Google loves.

So if you write articles about the local market, shops, festivals these will naturally feature keywords related to the area.

Most people search on areas of a country, cities or towns so you want to have these as keywords to make you stand out from the crowd.

And as you provide interesting articles more people will link to them from other sites, you become an authority for your area of France, Spain, Italy etc... and Google keeps coming back to check if you have updated your site.

All I suggest to people is to find an hour or two a week to visit a place, write about it, take a photo and then put it on your website.

Before you know it you will have a lot of keyword rich pages, interlinked so that Google can crawl along, and people linking to your site without even asking for a reciprocal link.

Any questions, please feel free to ask.

Regards

Craig
craigkillick

Post by craigkillick »

Agree with Craig.

Also, if you get incoming links, with no reciprical links, they are more benficial to the search engine rankings.