Feedback requested

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
A little bit of England

Review

Post by A little bit of England »

Hi Burdy

Thanks for the review - I hadn't picked up the typo on viewed.

A previous incarnation of the site had a dozen or so pictures in a Flash gallery, but Analytics showed that only about 5% of visitors bothered to access it, so I decided to just have the 5 in a Javascript lightbox. There is little point in publishing pictures at any higher resolution that 96dpi as that is screen resolution. Any higher slows the page load without any increase in quality

There really isn't much else to photograph for the site, most of the previous pictures showed the local area, which is semi-desert and arid mountainside so not very colourful. Most of the house is my private accommodation and only the two rooms shown, plus a small basic lounge area without much photographic appeal (bookshelf, fridge, microwave, TV, cupboard and sofa) and a large landing with a small computer desk and computer on it, are for guest use.

No, the pictures are not out of focus, it's down to camera shake caused by very shaky hands (not due to alcohol!!). I have a friend who keeps promising to come and take some good ones, but hasn't managed it in 2 years.

The small outside space is a concreted yard. Not photogenic. It is enclosed on 3 sides and gets the sun all day, container plants do not do well even with an irrigation system, so it is mostly used for drying the washing. To be honest, I prefer my guests to be elsewhere during the day as it is not practical to provide much in the way of facilities.

I am getting mixed reviews about the watermarking of the background from other forums - some love it, some hate it. I will probably change it for some sort of vellum or parchment effect and see how that looks. I am working on redoing the right side tabs - they have not really been well received. The Google Font headers on each page are up for review as well. I will post it again when I have finished.

Nice review. Thanks again.
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most. Samuel Langhorne Clemens
A little bit of England

A thank you

A very big thank you to all those who took the trouble to look at the site and to make reasoned comments.

Based on the feedback, the site has now been modified to answer some of those criticisms, however I have no intention of changing my tariff - I am dealing with a completely different market sector to some others here.

Yes, I made some criticisms, not an attack, on another posters site - it breaks all the rules for strategic web site design and must be a nightmare to SEO with practically no content of the first 2 pages and no linking between pages. I did request a thread to post a full, reasoned and balanced review, based on my technical expertise and SEO experience, but received no reply.

Although some of you have been supportive and even helpful, there are too many posters on here that are totally up themselves. I may pop in from time to time, but it is unlikely I shall become a regular poster here.

Once again, thank you to those who took the time to make proper, reasoned and balanced comment.
Jimbo

Re: A thank you

Post by Jimbo »

A little bit of England wrote:... there are too many posters on here that are totally up themselves.
I can't say this offensive comment relates in any way to my experience of the professional, talented, helpful and warm-hearted regular members whom I've known on here for some years. Although it might be true of a tiny number of new members who've joined, burned brightly and spitefully and quickly disappeared and, for whom, LMH membership seems to be only about me, me and more me.

Like any human relationship, what you get out of any forum equates pretty much to what you're willing to put in. And I've always been acutely aware that I need LMH and its collective wisdom far more than LMH needs me.

Jim
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I'm so pleased I wasted time looking at ALPOE's website last weekend. Another one who just comes onto this forum looking for praise for their (in this case, quite horrible) website and unable to take criticism. Good riddance.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Jimbo wrote: Like any human relationship, what you get out of any forum equates pretty much to what you're willing to put in. And I've always been acutely aware that I need LMH and its collective wisdom far more than LMH needs me.

Jim
Hear hear. :D
A little bit of England

la vache! wrote:I'm so pleased I wasted time looking at ALPOE's website last weekend. Another one who just comes onto this forum looking for praise for their (in this case, quite horrible) website and unable to take criticism. Good riddance.
Glad it wasn't mine.

I rest my case.
A little bit of England

Jimbo wrote:
A little bit of England wrote:... there are too many posters on here that are totally up themselves.
I can't say this offensive comment relates in any way to my experience of the professional, talented, helpful and warm-hearted regular members whom I've known on here for some years. Although it might be true of a tiny number of new members who've joined, burned brightly and spitefully and quickly disappeared and, for whom, LMH membership seems to be only about me, me and more me.

Like any human relationship, what you get out of any forum equates pretty much to what you're willing to put in. And I've always been acutely aware that I need LMH and its collective wisdom far more than LMH needs me.

Jim
Never been one to join an exclusive mutual backslapping society.

Read Shakespeare's 'Cymbeline', Act 2, Scene 1, Cloten speaking to the first lord.
A little bit of England

You all seem to be pretty much hooked in to this "As ye sow, so shall ye reap" thing.

Funny that

So am I.
A little bit of England

Guest Book spam

Shortly after I started posting on here, my Guest book received some fairly innocuous and childish spam. The poster's IP address traced back to Lugo, in Galicia.

I am not pointing the finger at anyone, just posting public information that I feel other users here may need to be aware of.

The spam has been removed and the spammer's IP has been blocked.
CSE

Post by CSE »

Ok I have had enough of this...first you criticise me and the website, neither of which I asked for. Now incredibly are you accusing me of Spamming you?
I personally would not give you the time of day. I have more important things to do.
There are tricks to change addresses you should know that. It is you you states that you are web savvy and all of that.
I agree all the previous posters views.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Sorry I & I that you have been treated this way. We all have better things to do I'm sure. It's time for us all to walk away from this one and not dignify it with any more responses. :roll:
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Jimbo wrote:
A little bit of England wrote:
... there are too many posters on here that are totally up themselves.

Totally offensive Jimbo! Youre right.
Sorry I & I that you have been treated this way. We all have better things to do I'm sure. It's time for us all to walk away from this one and not dignify it with any more responses.
Well said Deb!! Totally agree!!
A little bit of England

casasantoestevo wrote:Ok I have had enough of this...first you criticise me and the website, neither of which I asked for. Now incredibly are you accusing me of Spamming you?
I personally would not give you the time of day. I have more important things to do.
There are tricks to change addresses you should know that. It is you you states that you are web savvy and all of that.
I agree all the previous posters views.
I never accused anyone of anything. In fact I specifically stated that I was not pointing a finger. I never mentioned you or your web site in any of my posts, but as you seem to be able to recognise yourselves from the descriptions they must be fairly accurate.

Check your IP address, if it is 81.39.100.45, then you have been hacked, if not, then I was right in not accusing you. Either way, I am the aggrieved party here. As I stated, it was for public information for those with a guestbook on their site. If you can't accept things at face value, then that is your problem. I am fed up defending myself against personal attacks because I had the temerity to question some posters´comments. I always look for the best in people but it has been hard to find here sometimes. That is not aimed at you either, unless you choose to be the target.
paolo

Post by paolo »

A little bit of England wrote:it is unlikely I shall become a regular poster here.
Let me confirm that. Bye-bye.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
lorca

Post by lorca »

I just thought I ought to point out that under English law the comment you have posted on your guestbook is potentially libellous. Not just to the person you have wrongly accused of posting the previous comment, but also the owners of any other properties that could fall under that description.

Of course this would probably not hold much weight - put perhaps it might make you pause? Unlikely I know - either way it certainly seriously breaks the rules of this forum, in spirit if not in fact.
If not now, when?