Website (just about) finished. Could you take a look?

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
lasourcetranquille

Website (just about) finished. Could you take a look?

Post by lasourcetranquille »

At long last, 4 months late, our gite is just about ready. We've had the GdF visit and we've managed to get 4 épis, and 4 étoiles from the prefecture so we're happy. We now have to start marketing as I've been able to take pictures of the place finished at last.

The website uses a CMS (content management system) that is not specifically designed for lettings websites but it can be tailored pretty well to fit. It's not perfect, but it is so easy to keep up to date etc.

I'd love some reviews if you have time to have a play with it, although there are a couple of things to bear in mind:

- I'm still waiting for the links from our local tourist office for the booking engine, so that isn't there at the moment.
- I'm still filling in the attractions map, and adding stuff to the attractions links. And the coming events is growing slowly.

I've tried to add a few reviews on sites here over the last couple of months, so as not to be seen as a fly-by-night, and I've been very grateful for help given to me in the France section of this forum. The name of the gite came from advice on here too!

So any comments welcome, typos missed etc or bits that are just plain confusing or don't work would be gratefully received. It's the first link in my signature (the second runs the same CMS but obviously looks a bit different - just shows how flexible it is!)
CSE

Post by CSE »

Here is my views on your website:
The language translation does not work
The first page looks more like a blog than a website for a Gîte. By that I mean the news items below the main article are not really related to the business at the moment.
The website seems to load quite slowly, I wonder if anybody else has the same trouble?
The description meta tag is a bit too small.
Your website uses frames it is said that harms SEO.
I looked a few pages to try and get an overall impression.
The events page: The calendar confusingly states 15 Nov. Having dug deeper I find that the events lists are not on those dates.
I only looked at one gallery page. I personally don’t understand the need for star ratings or the links below. Again it reminds me of a blog. As an alternative I would remove these and try and make the photos larger. The photos I looked at are clear and present the property in a good light.
The description of the rooms, for me, lacks that certain something. I don’t mean you should use a lot of over the top flowery words, but the house looks wonderful so I am suggesting a amplification of the description.
The coding seems to through up a lot of errors.
http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http% ... ne&group=0
There are a lot of CCS errors.
http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/vali ... lle.com%2F
Reading them I think maybe the declaration for the CCS level could be incorrect. Hence the errors in the “radius doesn't exist” error being issued often.

You have a nice property.
I am sure others will have some other pointers about the website.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
lasourcetranquille

Thanks for that Ian & Irene.

The language translation is not an automatic one - I need to translate each page and I've been working on the English version first - I'll get around to the other versions when I get the chance. As it stands every article has English, some have French, and only the intro exists in the other languages.

The first page has been building as we've created the gite - it has been a bit of blog but I guess now I can remove those articles from the home page. I'm trying to avoid it looking too much like a blog so any other hints very welcome!

The only frame is the facebook widget - it is that which is throwing up all the validation errors too (along with the marquee which isn't strictly supported). Not sure how I can fix that.

Which calendar page is throwing up Nov 15th? Mine shows the correct date...

I take your point about the gallery - will see if I can edit that template.

Will look into rewriting the prose for the rooms - it was all a bit rushed once the rooms were ready!

I'll see if I can change the CSS coding - it should be version 4 I think.

Thanks again for looking - it's a developing site!
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

'La Source Tranquille' is a powerfully evocative name that suggests an intoxicating mix of bees humming, birds singing, water lapping and a pile of books with a frosted white in the warm shade of a tree. Does it for me but might be off-putting to some potential guests (maybe with children) looking for a more active holiday, who might be frightened of disturbing the calm. It's something that we'd recognise because we major on peace and tranquillity, as befits our isolated location, but also need a wider appeal to fill our gites. Which is why our website front page includes both a busy shot of a family having fun in the pool and a prominent link to a 'peace and quiet' page - suggesting that guests can have it both ways by tailoring our property's flexibility and space to their individual needs.

I'd also limit attention on your property's history because I believe such information is of more interest to the owner than (sadly) to their incoming guests. Indeed, it may suggest a hastily finished property that was, until recently, a disordered building site, rather than one that's been happily chugging along for years with many contented visitors.

It looks to be a charming property. I wish you well with rentals.

Jim
CSE

Post by CSE »

Just a quick reply… maybe more later…

This is the date photo I was talking about:
http://www.lasourcetranquille.com/image ... events.png

There is nothing you can do about the face book frame. It is really annoying that the one fame mans that the whole website is not compatible with web standards. We have the same hitch for obtaining the standard too, with a book marking fame.

We find that guest will always has questions about the house when they arrive. We bought ours restored. However I have a thought; maybe have some photos ready to show the guests when asked about the work involved. 100s are not necessary, just the highlights!
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Just had a quick look and whilst things look promising (and a lovely property!) I was a bit overwhelmed by so much information and the renovation.

I would personally want to pare the content right down to the necessary, so the renovation must take a back seat now and allow the site to be just about renting your place and telling the viewer about the area etc.

I'm not a fan of scrolling content as I find it distracts my eye. I prefer it to scroll with a mouse over rather than the other way round.

I click on Gites and accommodation but it's the same page? I then feel this content is duplicated within the gallery as well. Clicking on so many albums is also a lot of work, just to see a room by room basis. The kitchen for example has 3 photos that are near enough identical.

Sorry, I don't want to dishearten you, but I feel that you've got lost a little in too much detail.
lasourcetranquille

Many thanks for the comments. We're in the transition from it being a building site to now being a functional gite so your perspectives are great on getting the site into the right state.

Jimbo,

We can't really offer active holidays as we don't have a pool, or tennis, or a beach nearby. Our target market is families or couples who wish to explore the region round us, be it Paris (only 50 minutes away by train) or Picardie with its cathedrals and battle sites. I will try and get some photos with people in them showing them enjoying the place too though.

Ian & Irene,

That image is just an icon - it could be dateless but it had to show something to show it related to a calendar!

Nemo,

I take your point about duplication. I've moved the project link to the bottom of the menu so as not to make it so prominent. The images of all the rooms are viewable under accommodation as a slideshow type thing. I've left the gallery link there as an extra really - do you think I should disable that link? I will also see if I can edit the templates for the gallery pages.

I've tried to pare the menu down slightly to make it less daunting. Do you think I should just leave the headings there or is it ok?

Thanks again for all the comments. Keep them coming!
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Design is so varied and in many ways a personal viewpoint on things. I personally like to look at others sites and then home in on what it is I like. For me less is more!

So keep relevant headings, but if you think some might be better as sub headings then drop them down in priority accordingly.

I think the icons are not necessary, especially the calendar one. It's misleading and leads you to believe there's either a fault or all the events are 15th Nov - my birthday! The property/area images should be doing the talking I think rather than these icons.

Well done, I'll try to remember to come back at a later date to see the site once you have made it less like a blog and the renovations have come off the front page!
lasourcetranquille

Nemo,

I've removed the blog type posts from the front page regarding the renovation - Are the articles left there ok or should some of them go too?

I've also edited the calendar icon to remove the date - if I'd known it was your birthday I'd have put a cake on there too!

Thanks again
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

The front page is fine now I think. Do the events that you have listed have specific dates that you can state? I'm not clear without looking in a lot more depth when they are?

I know I started listing events month by month and then realised how time consuming it was! I am developing a new site and then plan to only do links to general info rather than specifics. But if you have the time I'm sure it's very useful for your guests!
lasourcetranquille

Good point - it's there in calendar view but the articles themselves don't have the dates. I'll edit them and add the date.

Thanks for that. We're getting there!
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

I've come late to this thread and I'd like to pay a compliment that has nothing to do with the website itself:

Too often we get requests for website reviews which result in a lot of discussion between contributors and website owner, who then defends their website.

In this thread (and, in fairness, it has happened before), its great to watch the website change as a result of the comments. That's a great use of everyone's time, and shows that LMH website reviews are one of the great features of this forum.
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
lasourcetranquille

e-richard,

That's very kind of you to say. I'm with the many regulars on this one who say that if you can't take criticism then don't ask for opinions. It's too easy to build something that you think is perfect and easy to navigate having missed some glaring design fault or error. Having read through the comments made by the regulars in this section in other postings I know I can value their opinions, as on other sites I normally agree with them!

I have already had a great deal of help from LMH members in setting up our gite, from the name to the size of the beds, so am very happy to continue receiving that help.

Any more tips gratefully received!
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

e-richard wrote:... its great to watch the website change as a result of the comments. That's a great use of everyone's time, and shows that LMH website reviews are one of the great features of this forum.
Yes. Everybody building a website has strengths and weaknesses and putting your site through the LMH mincer will rapidly identify and (if you choose) rectify the badly thought out stuff. And you quickly get the whole shooting match up to commercial speed with targeted input from people who really know their stuff.

Like Richard, I believe the website review section is one of the most valuable areas of this forum. Sadly, misuse of this resource by a minority of people seeking reviews has resulted in fewer members being willing to contribute their comments. And that has been to everybody's detriment.

Jim
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Just don't take what I say as gospel! I have as much to learn as anybody and wouldn't dream of putting my current website up for exposure, as it is nothing other than a very functional site rather than one I like.... :wink:

However, we all have an eye and as Richard and Jim have said if you can accept the thoughts of others (and my you were changing things far quicker than I would have managed) then progress can be made quickly.

Would be nice for you if others gave some more opinions though!