Rice Paddy Villa inThailand & Photo Gallery Ideas

For topics that are specific to a country not covered above, please go here.
ricepaddy

Rice Paddy Villa inThailand & Photo Gallery Ideas

Post by ricepaddy »

We have now uploaded a detailed photo gallery featuring Rice Paddy Villa and its rural surroundings among the rice fields of Northeast Thailand. Our Thai holiday villa aims to blend the antique and the modern, using reclaimed architectural elements from old Thai houses as well as modern facilities indoors. We invite you all to visit us at - whether vicariously via the web, or in person!

For those interested, our gallery of photos was made using JAlbum - a free application with many skins (which alter the gallery "look and feel") to choose from (we are not related to them in any way!). We chose the Chameleon skin - whilst not as visually impressive as some of the other offerings, it is fully configurable and generates individual pages for each photo, rather than combining them all in a flash format album - meaning you can later alter the code on each page as you like. This may be of interest to those planning to update or add a gallery to thier own vacation rental site.
Experience an eclectic and fully catered holiday in rural Thailand at our private pool villa http://www.ricepaddyvilla.com
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Robert McAfee Brown wrote:
Storytelling is the most powerful way to put ideas into the world.
Some years ago, with another photographer, I produced a travelling photographic exhibition which was designed to be sequenced a particular way to aid the viewers' understanding of the project. In one prestigious gallery, the creative director chose to ignore our sequencing instructions and hung the pictures in an arbitrary fashion. We were furious and demanded that the show be re-hung or taken down; eventually, but with ill grace, the director complied.

Sequencing and captioning photographs, so that they make narrative sense and tell the story that you want them to, is as much an art as the picture-taking itself. I find this gallery where a viewer dodges around from being in a paddy field with a water buffalo, then in the kitchen, then in a bowl of fruit, to be confusing. I would prefer either to start with tight detail and gradually move outwards ('the reveal') or start with wide scenics and move inwards ('the focus') rather than look at a seemingly random mosaic of shots. In other words, to be taken on a logical journey by the owner, displaying the property and its location to best advantage.

This is not to denigrate the photographs, many of which are of high-quality and very beautiful. Simply to suggest that a bit of narrative structure - visual storytelling - to the gallery would much enhance the appeal of this property (IMO).

Jim
CSE

Post by CSE »

By coincidence I am too experimenting with JAlbum for future use on my website.
In addition to Jimbo's excellent advice I would also suggest you add good title/descriptions for each photo. I understand that this can be done with some Jalbum skins and not with others. The alternative maybe to change some of the titles of the photos to be more descriptive.
Nice photos.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
revdev

Post by revdev »

Ricepaddy,

Just a few quick words of encouragement. I think the furniture/decor of your villa is fantastic and really fits in well with the house. Well done to whoever put it all together!

cheers
See the job, do the job!
http://www.premiumturkishvillas.co.uk
lorca

Post by lorca »

I think both your place and your photos are stunning!

The only other thing I would say about the album is that it´s quite hard to navigate - not sure how to get out of it and back to the home page for example, but it´s probably just me being stupid :oops:

Edit - I´ve now found the little round button at the top - it was me being stupid....but I may not be the only one - could it be made a bit more obvious?
If not now, when?