Checking website after alterations

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
la vache!

Checking website after alterations

Post by la vache! »

I don't know if anyone can help, I decided to stop hassling my webmaster for small alterations to my website and do them myself using Dreamweaver. I did the alterations, checked they looked OK before FTPing them and the site still looks OK to me on my laptop. However, I spoke to my webman recently and he said it looked a bit of a mess to him. We both use PC's but mine is a widescreen laptop and I don't know if that is the reason it looks OK on mine but not on his.
What I would like to know is if there is anyway of checking what pages look like using different browsers or is there something I can do to make allowances for a widescreen if this is the problem? I seem to remember reading something about this on LMH before, but I have no idea where it is.
I can't really start repairing the damage until I know what the damage looks like!
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

Susan, I have to scroll sideways to fit on my screen for the home and some other pages. I'm sure one of the techies will tell you what the "fits all screen width" should be. Your price and availability page fits okay if you want to get the properties from that and base the others on it.

I don't know what it looked like before but there seems a lot of photos on the "Cottages and Testimonials" (spelling?) maybe a page per property?

The Local attractions page seems to go a bit haywire at the bottom with text/photos. PM me with your email and I'll send you a screen shot of what it looks like on my computer or can you look on a friends/neighbours machine?

I'm sure you'll get there!!
A-two

Post by A-two »

Susan,
I find your site very refreshing, and I would hardly call it "a mess". Did you alter the top of the home page to add the date? It's just that if I click back and forth from homepage to cottages, the main title jumps up and down and I don't remember it doing that before. Also, the menu underneath the main title varies from page to page and you have lost it altogether on some pages, only now appearing at the bottom of the page. I would prefer to see it consistent on all pages at the top, as it is on the home page. Was it always like that? I'm a real novice at Dreamweaver, but you could fix it by copying the top of the home page, then opening up every other page and paste them across one by one, , then all the pages will line up when you click page to page. In Dreamweaver, you ought to be able to preview in different browsers.

Now, I bet you're going to tell me it has nothing to do with this!
Waves from America
mvus

Post by mvus »

Your Contact Us and Francais on the right have gone AWOL off the header on the homepage. I have a 17 LCD monitor 1280px wide and the page only just fits but you have to scroll when you first open. Most people have 1024 so you would only get half the page on a screen
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Thanks everyone, for all your help! I think the main reason things got screwed up was because I wanted to add the menu to the top of the page. It was originally at the bottom and I couldn't figure out how to get it on the side, where I would ideally like it. So I tried to squeeze it in the top and must have consequently knocked out what was there before (the date and the francais). I only got around to doing it on the Home page and Cottages page - I haven't had time to do the others yet, but I think I should have waited before FTPing so that all the pages remained consistent.
Sue I've pm'd you, as on my screen and the the others I've seen at work and friends, the text looks OK on the locality page. I suppose I just need to check the pixel width of each page before trying to cram everything in. I need to go back and do the DW tutorial properly. I'm still getting enquiries from the site, so it can't be that off-putting, but it would be nice to get it right!
ashtondav

Post by ashtondav »

Susan

This site is quite good for testing various resolution screens but probably doesn't give you all you want.

http://www.yournew.com/resolution_test.htm

Cheers

Tudor
www.frigiliana-apartment.com
Sometimes i sits and thinks - and sometimes i just sits...
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

Susan, didn't get a PM from you??? Wonder if it is working okay, I sent you one too.
enid

Post by enid »

Nothing more to add but just to confirm that it doesn't fit on my screen either but I'm sure you'll get there soon - so much easier if you don't have to rely on someone else to make amendments - and to say what a lovely site it is - well done!
marcus

Post by marcus »

Susan,

When I looked at how your page is made up I can see that everything is in tables, and the width of the table is fixed at 1114 pixels (and then 1116 and others further down the page - there are several tables rather than one on the page)
So on screens smaller than that it will need to scroll.
I'm not sure about dreamweaver but there will be some kind of 'table properties' cell where the width is set.
Ideally if you are using a table for layout you should set it as % - ie width=100%, which will force it to be the width of the screen available, rather than be pixel specific.
To complicate matters it is possible the size is being 'forced' by the cells within the table which also have fixed widths, which in turn are possibly being forced by picture sizes.
End result - you will need to find the cause first but need to get rid of the fixed table and cell widths.
Cheers, hope that helps
Marcus
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Thanks Marcus,
It is more difficult than I thought - I have just spent 2 hours re-sizing all the damaged pages, only to find that things are now worse! I have re-sized them to the width that my original webmaster had them, but it still isn't working. The trouble is, because I have a widescreen, everything looks fine.
I have now had to ask him for help, which I hate to do, as I have never been incompetent at anything before! But until I can see what everyone else is seeing, there is no point in me continuing to amend things on the website. I am so fed up with this, as logically it should work, and I have no idea above what I have already tried of how to rectify things myself.
But thankyou anyway for having a look! I think things are now worse than they were a couple of days before I started changing things!
mvus

Post by mvus »

Before you make any major alterations to a site, it is always a good idea to back-up the files first to a duplicate folder so if it all goes pear shaped you can just go back. I'm sure your webman will have a copy so it would only be a matter of seconds to correct the probelm
gummus

Post by gummus »

Hi Susan

I am no expert on dreamweaver but used to build my site, on the bottom of the work area window you can resize your work area and see what going to fit on the screen as you produce your content, also if their are several columns within the tables one may have been made to auto stretch

PS nice looking site
Wishing I was there
marcus

Post by marcus »

Susan,

I copied your code into Dreamweaver and frontPage this morning and I think the problem is not very serious.
In FrontPage (easier) you can right click on each of the tables, select table properties, and then where 'specify width' is ticked simply remove the tick

In DreamWeaver I couldn't see the same command, but if you go into 'code view' you can simply remove the words 'width = 1116" and so on for each of the tables (all of them, including the menu, and the title)

Both of these methods appeared to work fine

As mentioned above you can change the size of your 'active window' - another simple way is if you simply resize the window itself by dragging it smaller (you might need to double click on the title bar first, to enable you to do this) - as you drag the window smaller you will see whether the contents adjust or not to smaller screens.

I know people here don't like FrontPage and always recommend Dreamweaver, but FrontPage does have its good points, simplicity of use being one. I'd maybe try that first if you have FrontPage - a well designed page will move between the two systems easily later on if necessary (I alternate between the two with the same files completely freely)

Good luck
Marcus
ps I hope I haven't impinged on your copyright by downloading your page!
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Thankyou all very much for your help, Marcus, don't worry about copyright, I just really appreciate you finding the time to have a look at the site. What was puzzling me it that one page I haven't really messed around with (the prices for example) has the same page width but still fits I think. I will have another go today - I think I ran before I could walk on this one. PJA you are so right about keeping copies as backup.
Marcus, should the width be 1024, or should I just remove the size completely?
marcus

Post by marcus »

Hi

If possible avoid page size altogether - otherwise people with big screens, like yourself, will find it looks too narrow and those with 800 screens will still need to scroll

Even better of course rewrite it in CSS but we'll leave that for today...

Have fun