Do you supply towels?

YES
88%
NO
12%

Total votes: 67

la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Yes, but I offer accommodation without bed linen and towels for French people for short stays as that is what they are used to, and many would rather pay a lower price and bring their own. For people coming from abroad, I'd never dare propose them as extras, but most stays from overseas are for a week or more.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Horrified at my laundry costs, I reduced my prices slightly, and added optional laundry charges. I have French staying now for two weeks who have brought their own. Much to the relief of my apartment manager, as my laundry and cleaning lady has broken her foot, and M is having to do it herself. I did my own cleaning and most of the laundry when we left on Saturday, as her kids had D&V, which with a long journey ahead is normally well worth the cleaning fee. I have reinstated the linen and towels for the mainly UK winter rentals, except for short breaks of less than 5 nights. Most French visitors enquire first, and if they wish to rent without linen, I can give them a discount code which deducts the cost of the laundry.
Martha

Post by Martha »

Yes, I wonder if advertising a discount for bringing towels, rather than an extra charge for providing them, might be a better way to go?
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
Essar

Towels

Post by Essar »

Here in Bournemouth their seems to be a mixed-bag of offerings, some SC's advertise bed-linen & towels extra, one agent includes the bed-linen in the price and its delivered to the guests in sealed plastic bags (no towels though) but offer a discount if they don't want it, others include everything.
When we first started out our agency provided bed-linen & towels through a subsidiary at extra cost to guest, when we moved agents they insisted we provide it but charged it as a "no choice" extra.
Now that we do our own cleaning & laundry we include bed-linen & towels in the holiday rental, we have had French guests and they never asked about a discount.
Incidentally, we have just set our new rate and have also included "Free" Wi-Fi.
We think everything should be included (bed-linen, towels, cleaning, utilities, Wi-Fi), we don't like having to quote for a week and then say that this is extra and that is extra.
"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note"
"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise"
"As for my amnesia, I've had it as long as I can remember"
la vache!

Re: Towels

Post by la vache! »

Essar wrote: Now that we do our own cleaning & laundry we include bed-linen & towels in the holiday rental, we have had French guests and they never asked about a discount.
Yes, but the French are travelling abroad, possibly flying. My point was that when they are in France, always travelling by car, they are very used to supplying their own towels and linen, or paying extra for it. For me, to offer a competitive price for a weekend let, I advertise the price without bed linen and towels, as do most gite owners in France.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Martha wrote:Yes, I wonder if advertising a discount for bringing towels, rather than an extra charge for providing them, might be a better way to go?
I feel more comfortable about doing it this way. I've still kept linen as an extra for short breaks though.
Windy

Post by Windy »

We provide sheets and towels (fluffy ones naturally) and charge a compulsory £40 cleaning, laundry, linen and towels fee of £40. About 3 people a year across our four lodges ask if it can be waived if they bring their own towels and do their own cleaning. We politely say no.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I wish I could get my cleaning, laundry linen and towels done for 40€, never mind £40. For four people it is more likely to be 100-110€
Windy

Post by Windy »

Ah but a beer where you are costs about 40 euros :-)
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

And beer is cheap where we are compared to other more well-known ski resorts frequented by Brits. . :wink:
waterwitch

Post by waterwitch »

I don't supply towels at either of our two properties - the bigger one sleeps up to 7 and I am dependent on laundy services so the cost would be astronomical.

For the smaller cottage I offer to supply the towels at an additional cost - £10.00 for 4 people. I pass this straight on to my cleaner who has to wash and lug them around (we can just about carry a sack with 4 sets of towels). Only oversea's bookings tend to bother asking for them.

Many cottages in my area still charge extra for gas and electricity and the village shop does good business selling the meter cards at exorbitant cost.

I don't think it unreasonable to charge extra for optional towels but would never be keen to book accommodation with essential gas and electricity extra.
charles cawley

Post by charles cawley »

In our area, people expect towels. However, it can be possible to get away with just one reasonable sized towel. For large lets (8 +), the balance is split between those providing and those not.

Many consider providing towels a basic necsssity for quality. Quality attracts more income so the cost should be covered.

Charging for extras such as towels, using electric coin meters risk giving the impression of down market operations. For some, coin meters smack of poverty and distrust. With emphasis on 'some'.

With the changing market and more people staying in the UK or their respective countries, they may be expecting what is provided in their hotels when they used to fly off to the sun. If the economy turns bad and people have less to spend, they will want even more for less.
No web-site for now.
Advice about holiday letting
BreconBeaconsAccomm

Post by BreconBeaconsAccomm »

We run two properties, one more basic bunkhouse style property, and one more luxurious Townhouse!

For the bunkhouse we don't offer towels, for the Townhouse we do. I think that as long as people are aware either way then they really don't seem to mind. It surely depends on the type or property and the level of service/luxury you are offering?
roxytoo

Post by roxytoo »

I include everything except Wi Fi (but will probably offer that free when other properties catch on!) and the air con. I thought long and hard about putting the air con on a meter but after our first guests just left, in 9 days they have used 44euros worth............... so I am glad I did! What with changeovers costing up towards 100euros now and spanish tax at 24% it's getting to the point of is it worth it...........
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

We provide towels and bed linen and quote one price that includes everything. Mainly because that is how we like it when we go away.

When we travel by car with two children and have all the luggage, toys and beach gear in the back it would be a push to get a load of bath and hand towels in as well. We are travelling lighter as the children get older and so I imagine that the type of guests that you get will make a difference - all adults or older children would find it easier to bring their own towels.
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth