Does anyone else have this problem?

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
Kaz D

Does anyone else have this problem?

Post by Kaz D »

I get loads of enquiries but very few convert into bookings. When I receive an enquiry by email, I reply almost immediately saying the house is available for the dates they want and asking them to let me know if they want to reserve those dates. If the enquiry is in English I also ask them to let me know if they need any further information about the house or area. (if in another language and I've used google translator I keep the reply short and sweet!)

Then I hear nothing further. A few days later I send a chaser email asking if they would like to make the booking or if they need any more information and I still hear nothing back! It also surprises me especially the enquiries I get where they say something like "please let us know if your lovely house is available" I can understand if they decide to go to a different location or a different property but why don't they let me know?

Is it just me?? :(
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

I never ask if they want to reserve the dates - not in the initial response or in the chasing email - or only if they have already said they intend to book.

'your lovely house' is, in my experience, the way Americans especially enquire about accommodation. It doesn't actually mean that they are in any way more enthusiastic and likely to book than someone who doesn't say it.

One possible answer is that the source of your enquiries: listings sites, your own website? you don't say, does not give a clear enough picture of your property and the area i.e. what type of holiday enquirers can expect. I don't think you give any links where we can see your property so it is impossible to say if this is the reason. One website we were on at the beginning produced huge quantities of useless enquiries and never a booking. In the end it was literally wasting our time and we came off it so maybe you are just on the wrong websites?

We adjust our website continuously to reflect questions from enquirers and comments by guests and I believe this has helped our conversion rate to rise.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

For me, it is like window shopping or browsing in a shop. I wouldn't expect to tell a shop assistant why I'm walking out without buying something I've tried on, so I don't expect a response to my response. I've had the same enquiry for different properties and they are often exactly the same, saying 'your property looks lovely' so I think people often enquire on a job lot basis.
The ration of bookings to enquiries is quite low, but that's business!
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

If I get a response along the lines of "thanks but no thanks", for whatever reason given, then that's a special occasion, and I always send a "thanks for letting us know, keep us in mind etc etc" reply. Even if I've spent some time hand-crafting an initial reply to specific points, I still don't expect a response - and I'm never disappointed!
Kaz D

Post by Kaz D »

Thanks for your replies. Here is a link to our advert on Owners Direct. We are also with Spain-Holiday and Homelidays

http://www.ownersdirect.co.uk/spain/s17172.htm
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

Well, it looks a nice place and your prices are pretty competitive I would say.

I think it's just human nature that's giving you problems! We all suffer from people enquiring and then not taking it further. They probably make lots of enquiries. You're definitely not alone.

I'm with Greenbarn on this - someone actually letting you know is practically a champagne moment and I always thank them. Except for one who just wrote in block capitals DEMASIADO CARO!!! (Too expensive). I didn't bother replying to that one.

TC
Debut novelist at http://tinyurl.com/or89jle

http://wivenhoewriters.blogspot.co.uk/
Contributor to anthology 'In a Word: Murder'
brenda

Post by brenda »

I know I am in the minority - this subject has been discussed so many times - but I never send chase up emails.

Nor would I assume from an initial enquiry that people want to book so would never mention this in my response email.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Brenda wrote:I know I am in the minority - this subject has been discussed so many times - but I never send chase up emails.

Nor would I assume from an initial enquiry that people want to book so would never mention this in my response email.
Me neither, on both counts. I don't like seeming pushy (or desperate, for that matter!)
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I don't chase up either.
I had an enquiry on Friday evening from someone who was definitely booking, but needed to sort out travel arrangements, replied with info they required. She replied saying she wanted to sort it before the weekend was out, more questions about trains etc, but still no sign of the booking.
Marks

Post by Marks »

Brenda wrote:Nor would I assume from an initial enquiry that people want to book so would never mention this in my response email.
I don't understand what you mean?
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

the past couple of years, I had a very high conversion rate...this year? NO!! I'm spending SO much time answering emails and very few bookings in comparison. My own theory is that people are looking and THEN looking at air fare, which has been horrendously high this year for cross-Atlantic flights anyway. I'm sending the same responses and answering the same questions as always, so I can't think of anything else. Total bookings aren't that far off...just LOADS of emails.
brenda

Post by brenda »

Marks - The OP says that she writes about about booking when replying to a first enquiry - and again in her chase up email. I just meant that to me an enquiry is just that - an enquiry - so I would not talk about booking when replying to their first email.

Sorry of that doesn´t make sense - although other people seem to have understood my meaning.
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

Well to be honest I was puzzled as well. When replying to an enquiry, what do you talk about if you daon't mention booking?

My first reponse is something like this:

Thank you for your interest in our apartment. Yes, the dates you refer to are still available.

Please let me know if you wish to book and I will send you the booking form. Don't hesitate to ask if you have any further questions.

What's wrong with that?

TC
Debut novelist at http://tinyurl.com/or89jle

http://wivenhoewriters.blogspot.co.uk/
Contributor to anthology 'In a Word: Murder'
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I too have misunderstood Brenda, all my enquiries are given the link to book, as it is also where they can check up to date availability.
brenda

Post by brenda »

Topcat - nowhere did I say that mentioning booking was wrong. I just meant that it is not how I do things.

Anyway, sorry Kaz - rather than have replies to my post hijack your thread I´ll take my leave.