Insuring gas heating

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
davhill

Insuring gas heating

Post by davhill »

Evenin' All,

The time has come to insure the gas central heating in Valley View, Kendal. It's a simple system - Ideal Isar HE30 boiler, three radiators and a condensate pump, that's all.

The system was installed (badly) under the Warmfront scheme. The main seals croaked three times, turning the boiler into a water feature. Then, an engineer from Ideal correctly identified the problem (failed mini expansion chamber) and it's been fine since.

Now, the Warmfront cover is about to run out. Homeserve apparently won't insure flats, let, sublet or commercially used premises, so I can't go there.

So, any ideas/recommendations? Is it appropriate to just have a local engineer sort of on call? Or do any of you use a UK company and find them exemplary?

Any advice greatly appreciated, thanks.

David
Property owner in Burneside, Kendal, Cumbria
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

http://www.ssehomeservices.co.uk/mainte ... lords.aspx

We have our home policy with them. In December our radiator developed a leak. It wasn't urgent as hubby had managed to stop it temporarily. Despite masses of snow they came out within 2 hours.
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

Insure gas central heating? We just have an annual contract with British Gas - they do an annual service and come out if it breaks down.
golfing girl

Post by golfing girl »

Hi, we are local to you and we use English lakes gas and plumbing, they are based in kendal...check them out
I wish I was on the golf course
davhill

Post by davhill »

Thank you, folks :D

So far, I've found English Lakes' web site and will be in touch with them. Unfortunately, SSE don't cover my area. I've also discovered that the company insuring the flat can do cover for boiler breakdown. Don't know about Brit Gas yet...I'll investigate.

Thanks again,

David
davhill

Post by davhill »

Thanks Phil,

Three in favour, one against...interesting.

The fact is, the boiler in Valley View is one that, on website reviews, got a very low score. The same type of boiler, in my home, has been very troublesome and I felt that some sort of breakdown cover was a necessity. This is especially so as the boiler has been a bit of a piglet in the past.

The good news is that I've now got cover with the English Lakes lot, for £12 a month. This gives me 24/7 callout cover and they know it's a holiday let (not all will cover such use.)

All the guy did was to take the cover off the boiler to check he could take it on - all very easy and utterly painless.

So, so far, so good.