Please let us know what you think of our new site?!

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
BreconBeaconsAccomm

Please let us know what you think of our new site?!

Post by BreconBeaconsAccomm »

Hi Everyone,

We are looking for some constructive (independent!) feedback for a new website we have just had made for one of our two properties! We are looking at getting a similar one made for our second property, so please let us know your thoughts!

This is the link to our new site: www.stayatno10.co.uk

Thanks in advance!
revdev

Post by revdev »

What an enormous place! I like your website very much, very crisp and professional.

My only comment would be some of the photo's look a little "cold"...formal dining table, kitchen, kitchen table for example. If you dressed these with dinnerware, flowers, bottle of wine it may just soften the look a little.

Apart from that, congrats on a great site :)
See the job, do the job!
http://www.premiumturkishvillas.co.uk
CSE

Post by CSE »

I can see this website is a package so the scripting should be up to scratch. I have found virtually no errors so they have done their work very well.
However you may be missing out on some SEO.

A few of your pages have the same title, even if they are about different aspects of your business. This should be changed so that each page has a different page title.
The website is hosted in the US it is said that this could also affect your SEO.
One last point to help with your SEO is some photos do not have alt text. Some do but they do not describe the photos.

Non SEO comment:
Are the photos in the description pages meant to open up in lightbox (or similar style) I hover over them and the image brightens up a bit but nothing happens. It is as if the link is not working.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Clive in Abruzzo

Post by Clive in Abruzzo »

I found that I was able to do this which probably isn't too brilliant:

Easily fixed though I think - it's just a bug in the scrolly bit of the slide show.

Regarding the updates in the RH column the ellipses don't work for the simply reason that they're not linked to anything.

The block of images is great but needs one more to complete the final line.

Other than that a stonkingly good website.
Circé

Post by Circé »

I may be being dumb, but I couldn't find out where I'd park my car(s) or whether I could take my dog(s).
Martha

Post by Martha »

Very nice! A bit more about transport would be good. Can I get the train there? Do I need a car? Looks great though.
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
Maurmc

Post by Maurmc »

Beautiful place!

I agree with revdev about "softening" the look a little. I would also like to see how many bedrooms there are on the first page.

Welcome to LMH! I'm sure you'll find lots of help & info here.
If you always do what you've always done then you'll always get what you've always got.

Apartment Mil Palmeras
Martha

Post by Martha »

You could try a texture in the background to soften the look a little, or perhaps a warmer colour in the gradients?
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

I guess you have the same problem as we do in Wales - an unimpressive outside compared with the inside (although of course ours is nowhere near as lovely as yours). If the house is impressive from the outside then you need to include a photo - it begs the question as to why you are not doing so.

I think you definitely need to say that you are in the middle of Brecon - a town centre location has huge benefits for some people we have found because of being within walking distance of shops and restaurants. Not everyone is looking for a country mansion! Just saying you are in the Brecon Beacons implies you are in a rural location.

Also something about the size of the house/how many bedrooms and beds is essential on the home page.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Margaret wrote:I guess you have the same problem as we do in Wales - an unimpressive outside compared with the inside (although of course ours is nowhere near as lovely as yours). If the house is impressive from the outside then you need to include a photo - it begs the question as to why you are not doing so.
Perceptive comment (as so often from Margaret). Too many interiors for me, because I always need to be enticed first by the location and then by the property. So, the vital 'grab my attention' picture on the front page showing a dining room/table - followed by more interiors - doesn't get me excited.

Don't get me wrong. This isn't the same as saying that the interior photographs aren't of excellent quality or that the property isn't lovely, but rather that you've got to get me on the bus to Brecon before you start to seduce me with interesting interiors. For me, it's always location, location, location. But, perhaps, not for others?

My favourite Welsh cousin lives near Brecon, so I know the area has photographic possibilities.

Jim
donafe

Nice looking website but might be a bit slow

Post by donafe »

I just opened the website and for a moment I thought that Mr Cameron has ran out of cash and decided to turn N10 into a holiday rental :-)

The property does look impressive on the website.

I've got few thoughts on the website.

1. The slide show: some people might prefer to flick through the pictures with a mouse click. Also, you might consider an option to start/stop slideshow.
2. Have you tried different effects like fade in/fade out instead of slide?
3. The response does seem to be a bit slow: I can't say whether it's your provider or the app but it's worth looking into. Aim for a snappy response - I think users would appreciate that
4. The pictures in the "STAY AT NO 10" section are great and the light box does the job just fine when you click on a picture
5. The website gracefully degrades when the JavaScript is off but there a couple of things you might want to look into: the front page slide show, the directions page (no map - you can use static google map)

The floor plan looks like a maze :-)

I think it's a good website but the biggest problem is the response time - maybe it's just me.
lasourcetranquille

Post by lasourcetranquille »

Nice looking site, very professional looking. For me on IE9 I can't get the slideshow (presume that's what it is) on the home page won't load - I just get the apple timer turning...
964kevin

Post by 964kevin »

For me on Firefox it all works very well.

I like the layout, the crisp feel and if I were in the market at this end, would consider staying.

One thing I'm less keen on are the tariff arrangements, are they the sole prices.

Other than that I quite like it.

Kevin
http://www.encantada-vacation.com

Our little piece of Florida, never get tired of being there. Love it and the people to bits.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Very impressive, it looks fabulous. I agree with the other comments and would just add that in a couple of bedroom shots the beds aren't made (you can clearly see the labels of the pillows without cases and in another there are pillows piled up on a little bed and no pillows on the double bed)/
Ju

Post by Ju »

Nice website and good photos.

I would like to see how many bedrooms and how many you sleep clearly on the front page. It is vital information, and it is also something that people looking for larger properties search for on google, so using the term "sleeps 14" on all pages makes sense.