Being your own guest

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Christine Kenyon

Being your own guest

Post by Christine Kenyon »

We've just had a 3 day break at one of our cottages. We had to book of course (!) but I wondered how many other folk do this.

As well as a relaxing break, we've found that:

1. We've got to know the neighbours better - and had a meal with some of them this week.
2. We've found (and sorted out) some of the draughts that you never notice when you're whizzing round cleaning.
3. We thought we'd covered all the kitchen equipment which might be needed. Shock horror when we discovered there wasn't a potato masher. Probably a very British thing, but I can't mash spuds without one!
4. We can now describe in detail walks from the cottage and recommend some good spots for a meal out.
5. We leave a very positive comment in the visitor book ....!!

Christine (aka the MYstery Shopper)
tansy

Post by tansy »

That is a very important thing....stay in your own house - we lived in our Utah Beach house for 6 months whilst house hunting for our main home...I'm ashamed to say I've never spent a night in the other one...now we're selling it.

But the diference I feel towards the Utah house is quite incredible as I know all it's quirks and am VERY confident that everything is there and works...the other one I have to take everyone at their word - which is difficult at times when you get conflicting observations!

but you mention potato masher - this is the message I had from the Canadians that stayed for 2 weeks in September booking again for same 2 weeks next year..

We (obviously) thoroughly enjoyed our stay this year. So sorry about not putting anything in the book. We had appointed my father-in-law to leave our comments, but only found out as we were leaving that he had not done so! Anyway, we loved the location and the house and are very much looking forward to next year!

We found the kitchen was quite workable and only really missed one thing. We had quite a bit of trouble finding was a potato masher, but eventually managed to find one at one of the markets and left it behind for future guests. (I guess the French are not like the Brits when it comes to mashed potatoes.)

We are looking forward to another great holiday in 2005!
tansy

Post by tansy »

That is a very important thing....stay in your own house - we lived in our Utah Beach house for 6 months whilst house hunting for our main home...I'm ashamed to say I've never spent a night in the other one...now we're selling it.

But the difference I feel towards the Utah house is quite incredible as I know all it's quirks and am VERY confident that everything is there and works...the other one I have to take everyone at their word - which is difficult at times when you get conflicting observations!

but you mention potato masher - this is the message I had from the Canadians that stayed for 2 weeks in September booking again for same 2 weeks next year..

We (obviously) thoroughly enjoyed our stay this year. So sorry about not putting anything in the book. We had appointed my father-in-law to leave our comments, but only found out as we were leaving that he had not done so! Anyway, we loved the location and the house and are very much looking forward to next year!

We found the kitchen was quite workable and only really missed one thing. We had quite a bit of trouble finding was a potato masher, but eventually managed to find one at one of the markets and left it behind for future guests. (I guess the French are not like the Brits when it comes to mashed potatoes.)

We are looking forward to another great holiday in 2005![/quote]
paolo

Post by paolo »

Christine,

I think that is a great idea. Unless we have lived properly in our properties it's hard to think of it from the guest's perspective. And this is a good way to iron out any quirks that don't merit a mention when guests leave but might have annoyed them anyway - squeaky hinges, stuck windows, malfunctioning machines.

Talking to the neighbours is a good one too. They may resent the traffic of people coming and going, and there may be noise issues too. Always a good thing to keep the neighbours onside, and sometimes that just means a sympathetic ear for mild grievances.

I am going to see if I have any availability now...
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

I've just turned down a two week booking for my place as we've had 30 solid weeks of driving 60 miles every saturday to change over and not being able to enjoy our property. 4 workmen wanted to let the cottage and frankly, I was dubious they would treat the place with the respect holidaymakers would.
We spend the winter in the village, shop locally, eat and drink in the pubs, have been invited to join the football team draw, go to the community club bingo, in all try to throw ourselves into the local life without (hopefully) being pushy. this has paid off with help when needed with blocked drains, letting in workmen, handing over keys and general goodwill of the villagers.
I too know the little niggles of our place and have taken pains to put them right. You're so spot on - you have to live it before you really know it.
We take my dad (75) up to the cottage to stay over and it gives me a glow of pride when he say's "well, I think you'd be hard to please if you didn't enjoy a break here"....
musicmonkey

Post by musicmonkey »

We enjoy staying in our house as often as school holidays permit, and leave a note in the visitors book. The only problem I find, is that particularly on a short break, one inevitably finds all those 'little' jobs to do (and some bigger ones). The other thing is, that the more friends we make in our area, the less time there is to discover all the things we are yet to visit!

Our most recent visit to the house was rather different. Just hubby and I went on the overnight Friday ferry to Le Havre (won't be able to do that anymore though if the rumours are true) and went straight to Rouen for breakfast. Spent the day there, then over to house. Up early next morning and travelled North to investigate Barneville, Valognes, Ste Mère Eglise, etc. then back for a snack before a visit to local friends. Pack next morning and leisurely return home. Now that's the way to do it as you can justify to yourself that a weekend doesn't allow you enough time to do any jobs.
tansy

Post by tansy »

You are all so right re neighbours as well...I forgot to mention ours...any problems at all our holiday makers can go to them - they don't speak a word of English but are so keen to help and will always call us...but for folk with children if there is an accident or anything it must be a reassurance to be able to go to someone next door who will call us and the emergency departments if necessary or help with a doctor etc etc.

Utah Beach is quite a distance from a town - we are just a cluster of about 30 houses - 75% of them closed for up to 50 weeks of the year!

I always tell our guests to go them as 1st port of call - they will call us on a land line...and if I can I introduce everyone I always do.

Our Dutch friend who speaks 4 languages walks on the beach everyday with her 2 Newfoundlands always manages to meet our guests (she talks to everyone on the beach as matter of course!), - she always tells me when I meet her with my dogs how our guests are getting on - if they are enjoying themselves, if they like the house etc. The whole of this summer there was only one set she didn't meet & yes they left the house in a state!

In fact our neighbours son is getting married next week - not only have we been invited we are moving into our house for 4 days with 6-8 of their relatives staying with us...

Neighbours for us are worth their weight in gold.
paolo

Post by paolo »

Our Dutch friend who speaks 4 languages walks on the beach everyday with her 2 Newfoundlands always manages to meet our guests
You've struck gold there. The Dutch are wonderful people. Did I tell you I'm half Dutch?
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Dave Kinder

Being Your Own Guest

Post by Dave Kinder »

We too spend as much as school holidays allow in our house - about 5 weeks per year. Although we spend two weeks in the summer we especially enjoy going out of season and seeing the village without the summer influx of visitors.

During the out of season visits we have found more time to have a close look at what we need to do in the house for the following year as well as having more time to get to know the neighbours.

Doing those essential jobs - decorating, gardening, etc, etc - is also easier when the you don't have the sun blazing down, cold beers in the 'fridge and a sun-lounger with your name on it!!