Loose covers for sunbeds?

For anything to do with the garden and pool
lorca

Post by lorca »

pepsipuss wrote:
Jimbo wrote:Supplementary technical question for Pepsi and lorca:

I was impressed with your neat idea for a pillowcase-like design with a flap that would double as a retainer by being hooked over the top of the chair. But does this mean that only one side of the cover can be used? Or is there a modification that you've incorporated to enable both sides to be used? Sorry, probably glaringly obvious to you girls, but I'm only a bloke in a strange land!

Jim
Unfortunately that is the case Jim, but it might be able to be designed so that the flap doubles back on itself and goes over the other side as well. I will play with a small piece of fabric later on and see if it works. It would probably defeat my machine if it was in towelling but someone with a more industrial machine would be able to get it through.
In theory this should work if the flap is double, but it would be a bit harder to get the cushion inside. I´ll have a go and see. Maybe we should go into business Pepsi :wink: ??
If not now, when?
pepsipuss

Post by pepsipuss »

lorca wrote: In theory this should work if the flap is double, but it would be a bit harder to get the cushion inside. I´ll have a go and see. Maybe we should go into business Pepsi :wink: ??
I got distracted - arrival of visitors (friends not clients), too much to talk about, lots of eating and drinking etc, so haven't got round to my trial yet. I usually make mine quite loose because it is much quicker for getting them on and off - that might help.

Going into business??? We must both be gluttons for punishment - I am always up for new ideas even in retirement! :shock:
For true domestic harmony it is essential that dogs know their place, which is below all cats

LMH Accommodation Offers Report
www.villa-rental-andalucia.com
http://www.fincalaserenidad.com
lorca

Post by lorca »

pepsipuss wrote:
lorca wrote: I am always up for new ideas even in retirement! :shock:
mmm...so what you do is called retirement is it? :? :wink:...and there was I hoping that life might get a bit easier.....
If not now, when?
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

I wish you girls would stop nattering and get on with refining the design!

Only kidding, I appreciate your help! But I'm beginning to wonder if a reversible strap near the top of the cover wouldn't be a better option to make both sides available. What might be best in that case to close the cover? Studs? Velcro? Rivets?

Jim
pepsipuss

Post by pepsipuss »

Jimbo wrote: But I'm beginning to wonder if a reversible strap near the top of the cover wouldn't be a better option to make both sides available. What might be best in that case to close the cover? Studs? Velcro? Rivets?

Jim
I have been thinking about it too, Jim. I think in towelling the fold back might be too thick. But if you do the regular pillow case style (where the flap goes inside) you could have a band (possibly heavy duty elastic?) which you sew about 20cm from the top into the seam and which therefore could go either side.
For true domestic harmony it is essential that dogs know their place, which is below all cats

RichardHenshall

Post by RichardHenshall »

We inherited some (permanently) fabric covered sunlounger cushions with an elastic strap as you seem to be proposing and would comment that the elastic loses its elasticity and, even before that, there is little to prevent the cushion sliding down the chair back, though it does reduce the tendency to blow away.

If you think of a life preserver, there is a strap from the back of the neck/collar to the strap around the waist. I think something similar would be needed (from the middle of the top edge of the cover to the middle of the elastic strap), though this would still be easily reversible.

Fitting these at both ends of the cover would secure the cover/cushion to the sunlounger.
lorca

Post by lorca »

OK another thought. You could make a long tube (say 35cm longer than the cushion) with ties on either side of the end of the tube. Put the cover on the cushion, fold the end over and put ties at either side of the cover so that you can tie the flap down. You cold then untie them, turn the cushion over and re-tie them so the flap is on the other side.

I´m sure that makes no sense at all although I know what I mean (I´ve had a couple of glasses of wine so I´ll try and explain it better tomorrow... :roll: )
If not now, when?
pepsipuss

Post by pepsipuss »

lorca wrote:
I´m sure that makes no sense at all although I know what I mean (I´ve had a couple of glasses of wine so I´ll try and explain it better tomorrow... :roll: )
It does make some kind of sense to me but then I too have had one or two glasses plus several people for a very long late lunch... :oops: :oops: :oops:

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

pepsipuss wrote:
lorca wrote: I´m sure that makes no sense at all although I know what I mean (I´ve had a couple of glasses of wine so I´ll try and explain it better tomorrow... :roll: )
It does make some kind of sense to me but then I too have had one or two glasses plus several people for a very long late lunch... :oops: :oops: :oops:
Oh no! Now you girls are nattering - and drinking. This doesn't augur well for the integrity of my loose covers. Will I appear on Dragon's Den with my flaky design, only to be savaged by Deborah the Dire who will say 'I can't invest in you Jimbo, because I think you're a toss-pot'. The horror!

Jim

PS: Thanks Richard for your input. Good to get a bit of male discipline amongst the drinking classes!
lorca

Post by lorca »

one for you Jimbo :wink:

Ernest Hemingway said

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.

Can´t explain it any better this morning - so as the man said I´ll have to try and make it myself and post a photo
If not now, when?
pepsipuss

Post by pepsipuss »

OK. I know you think we have forgotten all about your problem Jimbo, but thought you might like an update. I have finally got round to some new covers and am putting a double flap for the envelope, on the outside as previously suggested by Lorca.

In order to do this I had to cut both sides to an identical length (normally with an envelope style you just make one side longer and that is the side which folds over).

So what I have done is to sew two flaps of equal length to ONE side of the fabric. Then when in place you either fold both to one side in order not to have a spare flap showing, or in the case of using the other side you actually have to leave the first flap on the visible side or the cushion would be visible at the top. As my fabric is the same on both sides this does not present a problem and the only concession I have had to make to appearance is that I needed to put tape rather than a turned hem on the secondary side as there is no way of disguising the hem when turned to the other side...

... hope you are all keeping up and would like to reassure you that today I have NOT been drinking :shock: :shock: :shock:

At the moment the prototype is at the pinned together stage. Will photograph the details when done (assuming it works :roll:)

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Sorry, Pepsi, only just spotted your post.

My grand scheme for loose covers was put on hold when Mrs Jimbo returned after a spell in the UK and took against the idea - believing that a gradual change to mesh-type loungers equipped with big swimming towels that she could launder easily was a better solution. After a frank exchange of views (aka: a bit of a barney), I conceded and that's currently what we are implementing.

But thanks to you and lorca for your help. Still not convinced by the mesh/towel option but we'll see what the guests say.
Jim
pepsipuss

Post by pepsipuss »

Good luck with it Jim - it is certainly an easier alternative and I can't see any reason for complaint.

Are you going for the heavy mesh ones which usually come in heavy white plastic or the aluminium frames? We have the latter at home and our experience is that the mesh lasts about a season and a half - it seems to degrade in the sun and weaken at the edges and tear away from the frame. Very disappointed with them. The other ones (where the mesh is usually blue or green) seem to stand the test of time much better - we have several friends who have them.

fincafern

Post by fincafern »

I tried some of the mesh beds too and they lasted only one season. They still get stains on them rom lotions etc.,

We cover our chair seats and beds with toldo fabric ( awning) which is heavy duty and water repellant so the beds can stay out in rain. The other advantage is that they are sun resistant and hold their colours. Mine are now in their 4th season and I have just turned them all inside out hoping to do another 4 seasons.

The disadvantage is the high cost of the material but we have just made covers to match for 10 luxury type deck chair loungers and they came to about 12 euros each.
The original chairs lasted only half a season before turning a revolting shade of puce in the sun.It was a question of covering the chairs or throwing them away.
All fabrics are matching or coordinating colours with sun shades or awnings in the same material. I used a plain and a different striped version to break the monotony.
The awnings have survived 10 years in all weathers outside all year around which is where I got the idea from in the first place.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

pepsipuss wrote: Are you going for the heavy mesh ones which usually come in heavy white plastic or the aluminium frames?
When we started back in 2005, we applied the principles of our existing business - buy the best quality that you can afford, look after it properly and you'll get years of faithful service to repay your investment. Sadly, although the principle is sound for cameras and tripods, it hasn't worked with outdoor furniture. A combination of ferocious sunshine and guest hammering does for them all - cheap and expensive alike. But, the cheap stuff, you can at least replace after a couple of seasons with a clear conscience. The expensive stuff - faded, mottled, frayed, damaged - you're forced to soldier on with because it's too big an investment to easily discard.

I question whether expensive, but getting tatty, quality furniture that's past its sell by date looks better than a gleaming row of cheapish new aluminium mesh longers and chairs. So - with a heavy heart - I'm leaning towards the disposable route (and turning all my former convictions on their head).
Jim