57% of properties are well above average........

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
greenbarn

57% of properties are well above average........

Post by greenbarn »

I'm sure my inadequate grasp of statistical maths has clouded my understanding, but there's some interesting reading in the latest "Quality Update" from Visit England (a rather nice, expensively glossy 16 page A5 booklet that Postie dropped on me).

In an article about forthcoming tinkering with the standards - more of which anon - there's a graph showing the breakdown of self-catering properties by star rating as of April 2011. I'm assuming this is just for England rather than all of the UK. There's a total of 12,565 properties, of which 7,224 are 4 star, with about 1,300 of those having a Gold Award. The numbers of 1 and 2 star properties can really be discounted, being 7 and 216 respectively, and there are 3,783 3 star and 1,335 5 star (about half of which have a Gold Award, making them the best of the best.)

That means that there are twice as many 4 star as 3 star, and I'm not sure what that lot really tells me, except that a 4 star rating doesn't serve as much of a differentiator. The figures are somewhat skewed, as realistically an owner with a property that would only command a 1 or 2 star rating is far more likely to forgo a rating than end up with a 1 or 2 star tag.

What it does mean is that the standards are out of step with reality, and it seems that VB/VE/QIT have woken up to this and are implementing changes, the most significant of which being the ratio of bathrooms to guests. They don't say what the new figures will be, but currently there is a minimum number of bathrooms to guests ratio of 1:8 for 4 star, and 1:6 for 5 star. Yes, you read that right; staggering isn't it? A freezer will also be a requirement at 4 star.

It will be interesting to see what effect this has on the distribution of the ratings, but I can foresee a lot of properties taking a tumble from their existing status. Of course, if the owners continue to advertise their downgraded properties with the previous rating, VE won't actually do anything about it.... pace, Windy!
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

I'm guessing that I'm misunderstanding something here because I can't see that making any difference to the ratings.

If I'm reading things right, you must have at least 1 bathroom if your property sleeps 8 guests (at least 2 if it sleeps 16), or at least 1 bathroom if you're sleep 6 guests, to retain 4 and 5 stars respectively.

Surely most (or perhaps surely 'all'?!) 4 or 5 star properties would provide at least this already?

Or am I missing something?
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Hi KC.
The 1:8 and 1:6 are the existing ratios which are due to change when VE finalise the standards this year. However, even if they settle on a rather more realistic level of say 1:4 as a minimum for 4 star, it's only going to affect properties that sleep more than 4, so you're right that it won't have a massive effect on the numbers of 4 star.
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

Hmmm... but you said you could "foresee a lot of properties taking a tumble from their existing status"...?
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

kendalcottages wrote:Hmmm... but you said you could "foresee a lot of properties taking a tumble from their existing status"...?
Wishful thinking, I'm afraid; it's only going to weed out under-equipped larger properties, although there will also be a new requirement for provision of a freezer at 4 star level where currently it's only necessary to have an ice compartment in the fridge.
The only way there'll be a more realistic distribution of ratings is if VE change the "pass mark" on their scoring, and that doesn't seem to be in the pipeline. As a government organisation touting the merits of the UK to international tourists, it does of course suit them to be able to trumpet the number of places of "an Excellent standard". Anyone remember when an A-Level pass was a significant achievement?
Windy

Post by Windy »

be interesting to see what effect this has on the distribution of the ratings, but I can foresee a lot of properties taking a tumble from their existing status. Of course, if the owners continue to advertise their downgraded properties with the previous rating, VE won't actually do anything about it.... pace, Windy!
Ha!

Been on hols - self-catering of course - interesting experience ;-)

I have yet to receive any glossy mag from VE but maybe they've crossed me off their Christmas card list following my less than complimentary comments on their own awful forum. It might be that they are just incompetent of course - I've also been waiting for a reply about why my property is not on their interactive maps for 2 months now.

We have a relatively large freezer section in a fridge freezer. Perfectly adequate for a couple of pizzas, oven chips, frozen peas and ice - you know the sort of stuff you might buy for a week's stay rather than to stock up for the next month. We deliberately chose that configuration as a full sized freezer is a waste of space if you are staying for 3-7 nights as do most of our guests.

From what you say it sounds as though we'd automagically lose our 4 star rating as a result.

How ludicrous would THAT be?

Mind you - don't tell VE but we don't have tie backs on all of our curtains either :-)
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Windy wrote: We have a relatively large freezer section in a fridge freezer. Perfectly adequate for a couple of pizzas, oven chips, frozen peas and ice - you know the sort of stuff you might buy for a week's stay rather than to stock up for the next month. We deliberately chose that configuration as a full sized freezer is a waste of space if you are staying for 3-7 nights as do most of our guests.

From what you say it sounds as though we'd automagically lose our 4 star rating as a result.

How ludicrous would THAT be?
I'm with you on that one Windy. We have a 60/40 fridge/freezer and the freezer section barely gets used. I have put packages in just to give the freezer something to try and freeze rather than just empty space. I think a large fridge with a small freezer section, especially in properties that sleep 4 or less is easily adequate, especially as so many people could be just on a short break as well.

What's wrong with buying fresh local produce for goodness sake rather than frozen stuff? Eating out? Won't the guests be doing that half the time anyway? :roll:
charles cawley

Post by charles cawley »

About twice a month people visit our office to ask if we can work for them and about twice a month we go through the same bruising routine:

Yes, of course we would love to see if we could be of service.

After a discussion of how we work etc all seems Rosy. Then, we either are shown pictures on a camera or are asked to look at a web site.

Twice a month my heart sinks. Up comes Ercole Furniture or similar in dark brown which looks like as if it belongs in an old folks home. Chintz often makes a showing. Clashing colours, clutter, and Laura Ashley are common. Cottagy interiors with corn dollies, and other dated styles make a showing.

After an awkward moment, I normally say that certain styles of decoration drive away many people who would otherwise book. The normal explanation about taste 'being nothing to do with it' and the need to remove personal likes from making a cottage pay its way follows. Then, in 50% of the cases, the homeowners then say, but it has a 4 or 5 star Visit Britain rating.

Meanwhile a local cottage owner with a sleep 17 which is clearly at least 4 star and touching 5 star, has been rated only 3 star. I feel quite angry on her behalf. We market this cottage at 4 star and are quite happy to say that it is close to 5 star.

QED. The ratings are still worth having, but the system does let through some simply awful cottages. I simply do not believe the improvement claims because their tick box system has failed to keep up and now creates some quite obvious, frequent glaring anomalies and injustices.
No web-site for now.
Advice about holiday letting
Windy

Post by Windy »

A freezer will also be a requirement at 4 star.
GB - the downloadable document on quality standards clearly states that

4 star
• Freezer space available (3*** icebox in a fridge is acceptable).

5 Star
• Freezer provided within the unit (icebox not acceptable at this level).

the same info is given on the AKH site.

I didn't seem to receive the issue of Quality Update you refer to so i wonder if you could clarify exactly what they said about this change?
kg1

Post by kg1 »

Charles - I think it's not so much a question of taste but of targeting your market. Our house (website on my profile) is too chintzy for my taste but it suits very well our target guests - older groups with a dog. They appreciate somewhere comfortable & homely to come back to, they don't want minimalism & wooden floors. Each to their own I think.

The reason we didn't go down the VE route was their insistance on nets curtains - yukk!

Yes - I'm back. 2/3 weeks without BB, God Bless SKY. Only managed to survive because I have a Blackberry which works on 3G. To be fair to SKY this is the first real problem we've had with them
charles cawley

Post by charles cawley »

The aim is not to put off older guests but to make the best of several niche markets.

The taste preference of older people (65s plus?) tends to be rather different from the rest of the market. Cottage owners who have followed our advice have been surprised that their older repeat visitors often rather like the changes.

Relying on nice things in visitors books and feedback from guests who have stayed does not show how much you might be losing out from the rest of the market which can take very much against what they see as old folks home or nans' taste in decorating. You can get the best of both worlds, by focusing for one you could lose out on the other which is a growing market where catering for an older clientelle is, sadly almost by definition a declining market.

People like to make a place their own, even if it is only for three days. Other people's taste rather than a blank canvass, can make this more difficult. All's okay if the owners estimate of what constitutes homely matches the guests... but if not, then you are confined to a taste niche. Some find a blank canvas a bit challenging, but it can be safer to risk the accusation of dull or over plain decor to a fussy highly defined period taste layout.

However, if you get good occupancy long may it continue. Why spoil a good formula if it works?

As for nets... VB is also keen on cushions with ties on kitchen chairs... both of these will certainly stop many people from booking. They are red flags equal to tired sofas and cheap worn bedding.

Most cottages in our area have to target several niches to survive; as things get more tough so more cottages may find such an approach worth considering.
No web-site for now.
kg1

Post by kg1 »

Charles - yes I take your point about putting off other types of guests, but we do quite well with families in the school holidays so it can't be too bad. Maybe it's where it is rather than what it is for the families. Either way, if it ain't broke don't fix it!!

Your advice is always worth listening to though. Thankyou.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I hate nets too, but am surprised by people having equally strong feelings about cushions on wooden chairs. Is it the hygeine aspect, or does it just look twee? I don't have them in the cottages as the chairs are OK, but I have them on my chairs in the kitchen which are more uncomfortable, but then I don't have a fat bum.
Circé

Post by Circé »

ah, maybe a pic of the bum is called for too (see the loo roll folding thread!)
charles cawley

Post by charles cawley »

Cushions attached by ties to chairs appear to some as twee and fussy. They also say something about the chairs.

Although it may well be possible there have been instances of people falling off chairs because the cushions have slipped... I have yet to see this happen. They also add to clutter and nearly always feature fussy flowery patterns; in most cases these date from fashions of a quarter a century ago.

Rather like carpets in loos, it is also worth considering keeping textiles to a minimum in Kitchens. Water / spills do not really mix well with textiles.

There's no absolute logic to all this... certain people, for instance, have an ideological hatred of hanging baskets, though that band is small enough to ignore. (Personally, I am not too keen on them, but my other half is, rather proving the point).

If you are catering for elderly and intend to maximise this market, it is well worth studying and providing internal decor and extras reflecting the 1980s when fussy and twee was mainstream.
No web-site for now.