Are we putting people off?

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
Bellywobble

Are we putting people off?

Post by Bellywobble »

What a fantastic site! I have just found it and have spent the evening trawling through posts. My son is desperaete to get on the computer, but this site is just so helpful, i don't think he'll get on till next week!
We have a small appartment in the grounds of our home, which we advertise through a holiday rentals company. We get a fair number of enquiries that don't turn into bookings.
We have a very friendly dog, but it is not possible to fence her in to keep her away from guests. We don't mention her on the ad, but always mention her as we respond to an enquiry.I think this may be putting people off. Should we mention her in the ad? Any advice on how to market her? We do stress she is friendly, not a barker, kept in at night and doesn't go into the appartment.I do appreciate that some people just don't like dogs, but how do I know if that's the reason they are not booking, or if it's something else?Do you think I should e mail the "non bookers" to ask them? I would be very grateful for your thoughts.
On a similar subject, the lounge in the appartment is very small. The other rooms are a good size. I would like to state "small lounge" in the ad, but my husband is resisting me. He just wants bookings and doesn't want to put anyone off. I would rather be very honest, so people are not disappointed as they walk through the door! Again I would be grateful for your opinions.I have another question too, but I'll post it separately, or we'll all be here till next week!
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

If you have photos, I would have thought that the size of the lounge is obvious. Re the dog, its your home, if the dog is no problem why mention it? I have the same problem, I have dogs and cats, but in peak season try to keep them in as much as possible (difficult when BBQs are cooked every night). However,most of our guests have pets themselves and actually like fact that there are animals here. I don't mention it on the website, but there are references to the animals in the 'guest book' on the website.
Bellywobble

Post by Bellywobble »

Thanks Susan.
I always mention that we have her, mainly in case someone has an allergy or phobia. One man did e mail and say he couldn't come as his wife has a severe allergy, but he did appreciate being warned.
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

Kayley,
Anyone who has an allergy or phobia should ask. And would ask.
Best,
Alexia.
judyc

Post by judyc »

Hi Kayley

I have two golden retrievers and have put a photo of them into our adverts. My thinking is that anyone who doesn't like dogs will instantly see they are there without me making a bit issue of it.

I think it has worked in our favour in that three bookings have been made by people who have specifically mentioned that they chose us because of the dogs!

Judy
Bellywobble

Post by Bellywobble »

Thank you, Judy.

I've just had a quick look at your web site and wow, what a stunning first picture!Absolutely beautiful!
judyc

Post by judyc »

Hi Kayley

Ironically, our is the one website where we haven't yet got the dogs showing. Photos have all been delivered to son-in-law and now him to have time for major overhaul of site.

Have a look at www.visitfrance.co.uk property number 3761 to see 'the boys'!
Ju

Post by Ju »

I am interested in this as we are looking into getting a family dog.

Is there anything we can do before hand to make things less disruptive for the guests? One thing I don't like is dogs who jump up, can this be trained out?

I was thinking that if we get a dog soon we will have time to train it a bit before the first guests arrive in May, is this realistic?

Ju
Bellywobble

Post by Bellywobble »

judyc, I've had a quick look and still can't see the dogs. I must be going wrong somewhere.

ju, Yes you can train them not to jump up and can do this quite quickly. I used a small squirty bottle of water. As soon as her feet left the floor I gave a quick squirt in the face and said "down". By the third time, I only had to reach for the bottle and she thought better of it!This works because dogs don't like it, but it's painless for them.
Another thing that helps is to always ignore the dog for five minutes when you return home. This helps the dog to learn not to demand attention as soon as people arrive. After 5 mins and only if he or she is calm, then make a fuss of her.The most difficult thing with this is getting other people to go along with this!
I never allow my dog into the appartment and guests are told that she's not allowed in. This ensures that there's no doggy smell or hair for the next guests.Some guests would allow her onto the furniture. We did have one long term guest who allowed her to sleep on the new, cream, cane, sofa that we put under the porch for his comfort! New cushions were required.
I also provide dog treats for guests to give her, in the hope they don't feed her sugary rubbish.
Regular flea drops and worm treatments are also a necessity and it goes without saying that guests should never be faced with a turd!
I hope this helps and good luck with your new family member.
Ju

Post by Ju »

Thanks for the advice, much apreciated.

We alreay have cats, which are not allowed in the rental property, but some guests do need to be reminded of the rule. Mind you the same rule applies to the children. Maybe I should get a squirty bottle for them! :lol:

Ju
Bellywobble

Post by Bellywobble »

Great idea, wish I'd thought of it when mine were small! :D
cromercrabholiday

Post by cromercrabholiday »

Our home cats rule the roost - sleep where they like, demand notice, food and water. The younger one also destroys carpets and shoe laces. I have suggested the dustbin but the two ladies of the house disagree.

However, they are both Burmese, which breed acts half-dog. Unlike mogs, they are both very friendly. They also have the advantage of not needing daily walks and haven't ever been in a cattery - we just speak nicely to a neighbour, who feeds them.

John
kasperdoggie

Post by kasperdoggie »

Dear Kayley,

I delurked just to post about the doggie question :) In my experience, while you may be losing guests who are allergic or dislike dogs, you may be gaining those who are dog lovers. When we look for a property on our vacation, a cottage/b&b with a resident dog will always win over the one without, all other amenities being equal. I know quite a few dog people who get doggie withdrawal on their holidays and are very happy to play with the resident canine. In my experience as a guest and as the owner, dog-lovers do book the dog-friendly properties given the opportunity and if other important amenities are present.
Bellywobble

Post by Bellywobble »

Thanks for delurking. That's very encouraging and something I hadn't thought of. WE¡ll definately put a photo of her on our website when we get it together.
Linda Freese

Post by Linda Freese »

Hi Hayley

I too am on the Costa del Sol and bookings this year have been much slower than in previous years so I wouldn´t panic just yet! Perhaps it would be an idea to post your advert on here so that other LMH members can give their input into your ad? Perhaps it has nothing to do with your dog but might have something to do with your photos or your copy? Just an idea!

Linda