Please can you review my site vacvertes.com

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
gam

Post by gam »

la vache! wrote:Don't most people update their browser to the most recent version?
Yes, they ought to but you can't rely on that - there will be potential guests using ridiculously out of date browsers. A big problem for them due to vulnerabilities but also a big problem for web designers trying to ensure maximum compatibility.

In my case, FF 3.6.20 happens to be the latest release from just a few days ago, for version 3, which is my preferred version. When they stop supporting/updating version 3 I'll possibly abandon FF as I don't like the later versions.
lasourcetranquille

Post by lasourcetranquille »

It's a very nice looking website so well done! Couple of really minor points:
  • I've always thought of the saying 'blue and green should never be seen'. You've picked blue as the main colour of the site, so I'd be tempted to change the green bars at top and bottom.
  • The pictures link strangely. I'd expect to click on a picture and a) either get a bigger version of the image or b) go to the gallery featuring that image. However what you do get is that no matter what image you click on you get taken to the main gallery page. For example, an image on your step-inside page says it links to http://www.vacvertes.com/step-inside/gallery but it just opens the http://www.vacvertes.com/gallery page. You should link to a bookmarked part of the gallery at least.
  • I'd be tempted to have the map linked from the bottom border zoomed out a little more than you have - just to place the village in context, a bit more like the one on your location page.
  • There is an error at the bottom of your links page with the link to gitesdefrance.info
  • You should code the email link in the bottom to be the same as the email link at the side - filling in the subject etc..
  • Could you have a separate contact us page rather than just the little form on the rates page?
  • One major thing - you've spelt 'bienvenue' with no 'e' on your menu bar!
Tiny things - congrats on the website. Hope that helps
Circé

Post by Circé »

la vache! wrote:How odd, it looks the same to me in Explorer and FF. Don't most people update their browser to the most recent version?
Assume that, and you risk wiping out a significant potential market. A lot of internet users just trundle along until they are forced to upgrade whatever the thingummybob is.
donafe

Post by donafe »

Anna,

Looking at your site with FireBug for FF 3.6.20. The html looks like this:

<header>
<a></a>
<h1>
<a></a>
</header>
<a></a>
<nav></nav>

in FF 6.0 (and probably the rest of the browsers):

<header>
<a></a>
<nav></nav>
</header>

As you can see, in FF 3.6.20 the <nav> element is outside the <header> element which is wrong.
Point it out to the guys who are going to fix it and it should be help.

They should have a look at the tags used - a few html5 tags and FF 3.6.20 might be having difficulties understanding them.

FF 3.6 is a very popular browser - it's important for your site to work correctly in it.
Chambo

Post by Chambo »

Thank you all for your comments and again, for taking the time to have a look and send me your thoughts.

Donafe – sorry, I worded that badly. You only said nice things and mentioned a useful tip – I just meant that if there is anyone out there who wants to say something negative, that’s OK too! And thank you for the coding information, I’ll pass that on to my brother.

Casasantoestevo – I totally agree that I need to reduce some space to see the French version clearer on the home page. However, I cannot see the ‘H6’ coding in the html section on wordpress. I think I’ll have to keep this as another definite for when the designer is back from holiday! Thank you for your kind words, though – I am a complete novice on SEO and this coding, so I have to trust the experts!

Gam – so happy you found this mistake! I don’t want to miss out on anyone, so I’ll be nagging my brother (website designer) when he is back from holidays.

Lasource – Fair point about the blue and green (I know the same phrase but about red and green!). I just wanted a very plain colour scheme and something that sums up the Limousin. Which, erm, is most definitely, blue and green (everywhere!). Interesting point about the photos – I thought the same thing a while ago and then forgot about it. I’ll see if my rubbish expertise can fix that – yes, I would want to see a big picture too. The gitesdeFrance link – my mistake – I need to work out this coding thing! The email link – I’m sorry but I’m not quite sure what you mean? Oh thank you for the bienvenue mistake!! I’ll try and work out later how to change the titles – whoops! Thank you again for your list of clear points.

Well, I’m on to all of the above – I have a child with a 3rd birthday and moving house to deal with in the next 2 days but once we are all set up again, I’ll sort it out. Thank you to those who took the trouble to have a look at my site and comment, I really, really appreciate it.
Village holiday house, for large groups: Limousin, 30 minutes south of Limoges. http://www.vacvertes.com
https://www.facebook.com/VacancesVertes ... ef=tn_tnmn
www.chambers-maids-brecon.com
Chambo

Post by Chambo »

Just to say that the designer has fixed the problem with the old versions of firefox, thank you so much for letting me know about it Gam and to everyone else for your help and suggestions!

I've just moved house and am finally 'set up' again, so I will be working my way through the rest of your suggestions this week.
Brilliant, thank you all so much,
Anna
Village holiday house, for large groups: Limousin, 30 minutes south of Limoges. http://www.vacvertes.com
https://www.facebook.com/VacancesVertes ... ef=tn_tnmn
www.chambers-maids-brecon.com