How important are TVs

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
aillis

How important are TVs

Post by aillis »

We have Tvs in 2 of the houses but the rest don't have them as I think its a better holiday without them, but am noticing this year a few potential clients not booking because of lack of tv. Its a bit like 10yrs ago people wouldn't book if there was no micro wave ( even had one client bring one with them ) So now they are standard item I just think some people want't know they are in France staying with a bunch of English speakers watching English tv the super markets all have english sections for food
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

We gave in a put TVs with satellite freeview in our gites a couple of years ago. It wouldn't bother me personally if I went somewhere without TV, but the weather in Brittany can be a little variable so it can be an advantage here sometimes. Also for guests who like sporting events, such as Wimbledon, it has been a real plus, as it is for listening to the radio. If people don't want the TV, or don't want the kids to watch, they just unplug it. I don't think anyone has not booked because it is there. It seems to be something that more and more people expect as standard nowadays.
roxytoo

tv

Post by roxytoo »

I agree, I lost bookings in the early stages of renting out because we didn't have sky, we had Spanish TV but that wasn't enough! I don't really understand it as when we ourselves are there we don't have time to watch it!!
LaLuz

Post by LaLuz »

This is a difficult one for us. Our house is our holiday home and we only rent out when we're not using it ourselves.

I don't want sky TV in the house as I have to put up with enough arguments between the kids (and husband if football's on) when I'm at home.

We have a TV but only for dvd's. We do have a good selection of dvd's available, I think there was about 70 at the last count and they suit all ages.

To my knowledge we've never lost a booking through the lack of a TV and it's not something I'm usually asked about at enquiry stage.

A man who has realised he will be on holiday for the world cup final has asked me to source him local bars who will be showing the game, but he didn't mention our TV.
enid

Post by enid »

We keep having this debate here - one other factor is that we have 2 gites and would have to pay the 116 eurios license fee for both of them - at the moement the Tvs are in there but with no aeriels dst for watching DVDs which are free to borrow. But personally I am succumbing to having English TV when we move back into the house in March - so then I may put it in the gites too - the gites are under the same roof as the house so perhaps I could do it with a wireless connection?!
gh

Re: How important are TVs

Post by gh »

aillis wrote:We have Tvs in 2 of the houses but the rest don't have them as I think its a better holiday without them, but am noticing this year a few potential clients not booking because of lack of tv. Its a bit like 10yrs ago people wouldn't book if there was no micro wave ( even had one client bring one with them ) So now they are standard item I just think some people want't know they are in France staying with a bunch of English speakers watching English tv the super markets all have english sections for food

Perhaps they want one this year as the World Cup is on?
aillis

Post by aillis »

Hi susan when you say you put in freeview is that the sky digibox which from memory is about £250 or a general freebox which gets the beebITV and ch4 which costs about 120€

What bugged me was it was for the 6 week peak period when there are loads of children and they all play together so is beneficial and we have high repeat levels for those weeks so some parents appreciate it.

The trick with the license is to pay cash and give another name and address
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

aillis,
I think its a better holiday without them
Your holiday or their's?

Alan
aillis

Post by aillis »

i think its pathetic that TV is the over riding concern of parents to keep the children amused we have between 800-1000 people stay in a year and so its like doing a post grad thesis on parenting, but I guess we will put in a few more of the boxes this year.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Aillis,
it was a Sky digibox, but it wasn't that expensive, even new it was about £145 + the card (£20) but as all my houses are in a longere, they can use the same dish, which was a saving. You can pick up a lot of stuff on Ebay, I think Paolo did when he moved to France last year. I don't think many people use the TV in the summer when its nice weather and all the kids play outside together, but I think it can swing things for the spring and autumn bookings when the weather is dodgy and for older people who come away without kids.
CostaBlanca

TV

Post by CostaBlanca »

Hi,

I think some parents with young children really value having a TV as it can keep the kids occupied:
- in the mornings while parents enjoy a lie-in (it is the their holiday as well)
- while they are preparing meals
- in the afternoons when it is too hot outside
- etc. etc..

On the other hand, I had a family last year with 3 college students staying in the villa. They never turned on the TV and said that they had the best (probably the last) family holiday ever as they played lots of games, cards, Trivial persuits, etc. together.

Maria
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Last year I did get a few comments (not complaints) about the lack of TV/DVD - mainly for kids. So over the winter I installed satellite dish with freeview and new DVD player, and added this to my advertising. So far this year, bookings are down a little.

Is there a connection ? :roll:
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

aillis,

It may be pathetic but, if that's what they want it's up to us to supply.

Alan
cromercrabholiday

Post by cromercrabholiday »

Alan Knighting wrote:aillis,

It may be pathetic but, if that's what they want it's up to us to supply.

Alan
Well said, Alan - I seem to remember that the customer is always right. We are not here to educate our guests, just to take their money!

John
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Can anyone fill me in on receiving French TV? I know nothing. A couple of renters have requested it.

Although we're in Switzerland no-one's worried about Swiss TV and it's a pain having to pay the licence (any TV, whether capable of receiving Swiss TV or not, has to have an eyewateringly expensive licence).

There's not much about receiving Sky we haven't experienced - originally because we needed BBC Radio 4, then every guy working on the conversion out from the UK needed Sky sport channels 24/7, resulting eventually in 8 digiboxes humming away in a hot cupboard. Amazes us what people pay for Sky - the current working solution for us seems to be digiboxes for around £50-60 on eBay and official 3yr Sky viewing cards for around £20 (whatever the temptation, don't get them on eBay).

Goat
Last edited by Mountain Goat on Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.