dateblocker

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
Andy789

Post by Andy789 »

First up dateblocker - indeed you can embed it into your listing with us. Anyone listed with us that has dateblocker can read our help section here

http://www.getawayearth.com/help.php?st=topic8ac

Felicity, you're too kind :oops:

Helen, we're looking into it, get back to you soon.

Viks: "How do sites like this afford to be free? It seems very good.". Thank you! Answer: We have a great developer who manages to deal with the hundreds of ideas we throw at him and turn them into something useful! And he's a friend and kind with his invoicing :D

But setting the site up is the easy part really. Making something interesting enough to grab the attention of a potential renter, that's another matter. More coming soon...

By the way, even if we're closed to free lifetime listings, you can still register your interest with us on the "new user" link from the home page. We'll then be in touch when we're ready with the latest changes. No obligation for the future. And you never know, we might offer you a laymyhat special!

Hope you all have a great weekend.
Maxd

Post by Maxd »

Nice to see you are using Dateblocker still. We have had no time to support it too much. The original idea was to get people's availability so we could then sell on people's property once we had their availabilty.

We have something new coming up soon that will hopefully connect 5 or 6 of the largest apartment rentals sites in Europe. The meeting is in the next 2 weeks. If we can sort it out it will be a pretty massive transformation for calendars. Not much good for villa owners but if you do urban apartments it could be good.

I have to admit it is pretty dumb filling in 50 calendars, there has to be a will to rectify this, everyone knows it makes sense. Better just upload once and that info is seeded out everywhere.

Lets hope everyone is in agreement!
Elcarmoli

Dateblocker down?

Post by Elcarmoli »

Is anyone else having trouble connecting to the dateblocker site? We have been having trouble with our broadband so I can't work out if if is their site or our connection?
www.holidaymurcia.com - Spacious Apartment in Spain
www.rhumhor.com - Lochside Holiday Lodge, sleeps up to 11 people

Member of Associaton of Scotland's Self-Caterers
Windy

Post by Windy »

Fine for me just now - it does have period connection issues but it's not bad for a free service
Elcarmoli

Post by Elcarmoli »

Thanks for checking Windy, I agree I find it a great free service. It is back for me now, so could well have been our broadband connection - it is a bit temperamental at the moment.

AMC

Post by AMC »

i'm amazed that this is such a big issue, there are other sites out there that offer free calendars and you can put them on a number of sites, update one and they all update simultaneously.
I thought this was fairly common, or maybe i am not 'street wise' and was unaware of the issues here.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

For those using Dateblocker, has anyone been able to add any dates for 2013? The menu does not go past 2012 and if you enter a 2013 date manually, it says out of range.
Elcarmoli

Post by Elcarmoli »

I had this problem too and found the way round it was to open up the calendar showing the 2013 months and click directly onto the days to block them out. Not ideal but any other way doesn't seem to work. I did email them to let them know a couple of weeks ago but haven't heard back.

Harborfields

Post by Harborfields »

I have had the problem, too, and have also contacted them (twice) but with no response. Thanks for the work-around.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Thanks for the work around. I've used it for 3 years without evening knowing you could click on the calendar itself.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

I notice that the domain dateblocker.com is due to expire on 28th Nov 2012. It seems like they no longer maintain it so would not be surprised if it vanishes. Will wait and see what happens but it may be worth having alternative ready to roll if it does vanish.
Elcarmoli

Post by Elcarmoli »

Thanks for the heads up, I really hope they renew their domain but will look for a back-up just in case...

Windy

Post by Windy »

Well it's now 29th November and the site is still up.

... but a Whois I just ran is still showing

Database last updated on: 2012-04-26 13:27:51.093
Domain Expires on: 2012-11-28 04:55:58.0
Information Updated: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 22:24:22 UTC

I guess we won't know until it's 29th wherever the server that runs these things is hosted and everything has been updated....

Fingers crossed!
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

I decided to bite the bullet and find an alternative that does not rely on an external website. After testing some freebies, which were spoiled by advertising, I found www.ajaxavailabilitycalendar.com and now have it installed and running on 2 websites. It took a bit of tweaking to make it work as I wanted but at least now I am no longer dependant on Dateblocker or any other site hosting my calendar.
Windy

Post by Windy »

Thanks - that could be VERY useful if Dateblocker bites the dust!