Your web address in post strap line

To suggest improvements and additions to the forum, or ask about technical difficulties using the forum.
wallypott

Your web address in post strap line

Post by wallypott »

My brain has deserted me this morning, so I know there is a thread somewhere on this subject but I can't find it.

I have found myself frustrated on several occasions, and increasingly so, by people, particularly very occasional or new posters not having a link to their site anywhere. Now I understand why you might not want it on your posts, but is there any reason not to have it in your profile?

For people who are prolific posters there isn't really a problem because regular followers can glean enough information to "know" them and their situation, but today I was trying to help someone who has posted three times (in a year) and has no link. And this week we all gave loads of advice and asked several times for the poster to add a link, which was completely ignored. If we had the information we needed it would have been properly possible.

Paolo can you not have some kind of "rule" about this? So people have to have your authorisation to not link anywhere? I can appreciate that it's rather proscriptive, but sometimes I think posters are having a laugh as they drive down their one way street.
CSE

Post by CSE »

I sort of agree with you, but if they do not add a link they may not get the same sort of responses as those with. I am always cautious of first time posters after having been burnt this year. On the other hand we have all been FTP at one time or another.
I personally hate it when the poster never responds, or simply adds a short reply which does not inform us what they have taken on board.

Edit: Found the thread..I think!
viewtopic.php?t=15390&start=0&postdays= ... highlight=
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
paolo

Post by paolo »

Yes, it is explained in that link. You only have to link if you are discussing a service like a listing site.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

viewtopic.php?t=15626&highlight=

Maybe some of the posters here should give us a website link?
Its so much easier to then give credence to their recommendations :)
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

A couple of things:

1. Some people might not have a link. For example, if they are just tentatively looking into becoming owners.

2. Some people might not want to link. For example, if they are posting for the first time, asking a question about a legal issue and/or complaint about their property, and seeking advice.
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.
wallypott

Post by wallypott »

KC - for point 1. I can see that completely, but my point is really that when you are trying to help someone with a problem and you have no idea of the country, size or location of accommodation, they have never really posted before etc It is difficult to give any meaningful advice, and in fact your advice might be plain old wrong when the facts finally (if ever) emerge.

I think we are all happy to give advice and suggestions to people starting out or thinking about doing so, and generally these people always seem to say what they are about, so that is not really the problem.
2. Some people might not want to link. For example, if they are posting for the first time, asking a question about a legal issue and/or complaint about their property, and seeking advice.
But if we don't have any (or enough) info how can we comment? How can we tell they are genuine? How can we know if the complaint is justified or not?

Sorry, but this has made helping in any meaningful way difficult twice in the last week. Alternatively perhaps I am just on a short fuse. Double goldfish death overnight, and rescue bird death yesterday! Large group of bolshy teenage students this morning and whinging kids this weekend.
angela59

Post by angela59 »

Wallypott,

Sometimes people are looking for general advice without getting too technical.

Angela59
Angela59
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

I can certainly see where you are coming from, wallypott. And yes, it can sometimes be difficult to give people advice if they give insufficient information in the first instance.

Perhaps it's just best to give people the benefit of the doubt at first, I don't know... not everyone is forum savvy.
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.
wallypott

Post by wallypott »

Hi Angela

Thanks for posting your web link anyway. But the advice some of us gave turned out to be misguided because you didn't really want general advice, you needed advice specific to your situation. So the advice I gave turned out to be wrong. It won't be the first or last time, no doubt.

KC - I do give everyone the benefit of the doubt to start with, honestly. But it is preferable to give an informed opinion where possible. I didn't really mean this to be a personal attack on any particular posters, but it is a relatively new thing (I think) since people have not had to have their link somewhere.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

angela59 wrote: Sometimes people are looking for general advice without getting too technical.
Yes I understand what you mean, as I have read the thread with your recent troubles, but the problem is that sometimes a small amount of additional information can dramatically change an answer given.

A link can be put into your profile rather than within your signature which makes a difference I believe for search engines (perhaps someone techy can explain!). We are not being nosy but in the main we are giving helpful and very useful advice and appreciate the recipients being up front with us and giving us the relevant information we need in order to best help them.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

It used to bother me when some posters (one in particular who was quite vocal at criticising Other People's Websites) didn't link to theirs, but I don't care much now. In fact I've taken my own link off now, for various reasons. But I agree, if new posters post about an issue, it is handy to have an idea of location, at the very least.
angela59

Post by angela59 »

I have now included the location of my property on the profile page, however I did not include the website as it is not my own - I use a property management company. If I am to be honest even though I have followed this forum over the years I haven't posted too much hence I am a little nervous of giving too much information.
Angela59
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

angela59 wrote: If I am to be honest even though I have followed this forum over the years I haven't posted too much hence I am a little nervous of giving too much information.
Can I ask why? Whilst it is good that many of us have been here for some time, it is always good to have new blood. It keeps a forum alive.
angela59

Post by angela59 »

Hi Nemo,

I am a private person - I don't even do Facebook!
Angela59
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Yes facebook stretches all privacy boundaries! I have an account that a friend opened for me, but it's not used much and I do have it set to completely private!

Privacy here is fine if you just want to browse, but as soon as you want to have meaningful discussions/help, then the problem becomes that more information is probably needed than perhaps you or others like you might be prepared to give. (I mean that in a kind way BTW :wink: )