Turning Enquiries into bookings

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.

How many enquiries to generate a booking ?

1 to 5 Enquiries
67%
6 to 10 enquiries
17%
10 to 20 Enquiries
12%
More than 20 Enquiries for every booking
5%

Total votes: 42

kevincohr

Turning Enquiries into bookings

Post by kevincohr »

Not every enquiry turns into a booking. I am interested in finding out, on average, what percentage of enquiries turn into bookings. Also, do you have any techniques you can share to convert enquiries into bookings ?

Thanks,

Kevin
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

Kevin, I have had very few enquiries who don't book. I let one slip by last weekend as I was away from my answer machine and didn't return the call within 24 hours and they fixed up elsewhere :cry: .

I keep a fully up to date availability calendar and feel most people have made their minds up to book by the time they ring or email.

I'd just advise being on the ball with returning calls etc, sure others will have advice and think Paolo may have some advice on this topic on the main LMY site.
DivineMrsM

Post by DivineMrsM »

I do the same as Sue. I know there are pros and cons to availability calendars, but we are fully booked from end of May through to September bar 2wks in Sept (a recent cancellation due to two of the party becoming pregnant!). As Sue says, when people do contact you then they know already that you have the availability they require.

Having said that, I did send an additional mail to a previous enquirer (who hadn't checked the availability in advance - there are a few) to tell her about the cancellation, and she has responded with a further enquiry for May...

Out of interest (I should probably start a new thread for this), do people use an online calendar such as rentors.org or do they run their own?
Lynne
for Metropolitan Retreat in London https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/6712284
and
Le Cheval Blanc in France https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/6714302
Clexane

Post by Clexane »

Kevin,

Different rental listing sites seem to have different conversion rates. With Abritel and Perfect Places I expect to convert nearly all bookings. H-R is not to bad and I expect to convert most bookings. Vrbo is another story and my expectation is much fewer of those will convert - they seem to encourage mass enquiries.
So you wanted a holiday home in france ...

www.villaemmanuelle.com
Clexane

Post by Clexane »

The best technique without a doubt for us is to get on the phone soon after enquiry and sell the property with enthusiasm. If you love your property and location (as we do) it is an easy sell!
So you wanted a holiday home in france ...

www.villaemmanuelle.com
gh

Post by gh »

I my experience you may get enquiries to ask specific questions, some have no dates on the enquiry and ask questions along the lines of:
are the owners on site
is the pool secluded
do you have close neighbours
have you such'n'such week free (booked on the calander)
etc etc
all clearly defined on the site but they still ask, so not really an enquiry. :shock:

When I count our enquiries up, including all the numpty one's
I come to a convertion rate of 1 booking per 3 enquiries
Like Clexane I call them if a number is on the enquiry and do the business.
roxytoo

conversion

Post by roxytoo »

I think it also has to do with where you are! My conversion rate is quite low even though I get back to people within the hour mostimes, sometimes I wonder if I get back too quick and it comes over as being desparate!! But I do think its also due to the sheer number of people buying and renting where we are, I heard yesterday that 5 million homes will be built from Torrevieja to Cartegena and then I think I'm on a sinking ship! Still as long as I can rent until I move over permantely I will be happy!
TriciaM

Post by TriciaM »

I am the poor **** who has to reply to more than 20 to secure a booking. A result of the massive influx of new STR owners in Florida.

BUT, I don't discount. My place is quality, so pay quality! Well I might not be that blunt to the enquirers, but you get the gist...
kasperdoggie

Post by kasperdoggie »

Hello and delurk ;)

I have a similar low-ish conversion rate - about 15-20% annually. We are on Cape Cod which has a very short high season and pretty much dead in off season (although we still manage to squeeze 20 weeks worth of bookings) and has a huge inventory of homes for rent in the summer. Cyberrentals alone has 1360 properties for this 65 mile long peninsula, so we get a lot of inquires but realistically can book 15-20 weeks annualy only (unless a winter renter comes along, but I don't count as part of the statistics) .

Julia.
reddevil

Re: conversion

Post by reddevil »

meishka wrote: I heard yesterday that 5 million homes will be built from Torrevieja to Cartegena and then I think I'm on a sinking ship!!
meishka, can i ask where you heard/read this news. i am close to you and this would affect me too :cry:
--------------------------------------------------
What would you attempt to do if you knew you would not fail?
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

meishka,
I don't think that can possibly be true.
If it were true, we'd all be on a sinking ship.
Best,
Alexia.
roxytoo

spain

Post by roxytoo »

Hi sorry taking so long to get back to you, computer has had a dreaded trojan/virus in the form of adware punisher/surfsidekick so beware everybody! am on sons computer at the mo, mine is most definetly ill and can't get it fixed till end of week!

I heard it on another forum that I visit a lot and not sure if I can say here so if you would like pm me and I will give you the link!