Do DVD players or satellite TV make a difference?

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

I notice that more and more owners are including DVD players and satellite digiboxes in their properties. I include French TVs, video players and a free library of video tapes.

Do owners find that including DVD players and/or satellite digiboxes makes any difference to their enquiries and booking? Do visitors bring their own DVD’s with them or do they expect to find a selection on site?

I assume that the digiboxes are run without a card and that the satellite stations are only those that are free to view and that they are UK stations. Which stations are they? Also, is it possible to receive stations from other countries (e.g. France, Germany, Spain) using the same equipment? If so, how is it achieved?

Alan
paolo

Post by paolo »

Alan,

I don't know about digiboxes, but I recently had to get a video player for my new house and since the combined video and DVD player was so cheap I got that. I also have a library of films on video. I only have a couple of unwanted cast-offs on DVD.

I think that having a DVD player just sounds good in your ad or when responding to an enquiry. It may be the final straw needed to seal the booking. In reality I don't think it adds anything over a video player, unless your guests are the sort to travel with their own DVDs (especially to anaesthetise the children).

I couldn't tell you if I was watching a DVD or video, but I'm told I am in a small minority.

My houses are in France and have a satellite system that includes free channels in practically every language, just none of the channels you would actually want to watch. Some of my American guests have asked before booking if I have CNN - seems to be a bit of a lifeline. Luckily I do.

I admire owners who have decided not to have any TV at all - on the basis that people shouldn't come to a beautiful part of the world to watch television. They usually claim it has no effect on bookings, and in fact guests remark on how lovely it was not to have one.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Linda Freese

Post by Linda Freese »

Hi Alan

I think it depends where your property is located. We have ours on the Costa del Sol and since installing a SKY satellite system, our bookings have definitely increased. This is probably due to the fact that the majority of our guests are British, and do enjoy watching the "Eastenders" omnibus on a Sunday afternoon!

Linda :lol:
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Thanks Linda,

I suspect that means they watch ITV2 and that means you have full "Sky" on your box?

I'm in South West France.

Alan
Maggiem

Post by Maggiem »

paolo wrote: I admire owners who have decided not to have any TV at all - on the basis that people shouldn't come to a beautiful part of the world to watch television. They usually claim it has no effect on bookings, and in fact guests remark on how lovely it was not to have one.
We don't have a TV at our apartment, or at our own holiday home in the Mayenne, which we don't let! Our balcony overlooks the Bay of Cannes, which has to be better than any TV programme. We've only ever had one family ask about a TV. They were coming from Australia with their 2 teenagers, for their 'holiday of a lifetime' and wanted to know the size of the screen, how many channels it received, did it have satellite etc. etc! Fortunately, we were already booked for their chosen fortnight as I'm quite positive they weren't the right guests for us, and our apartment wasn't right for them!
Many of our guests say how lovely it is not to have a TV, and how relaxing it is to be able to read in peace.
Maggie
tansy

TV's & DVD's

Post by tansy »

When we came to France we did without the TV for almost over a year until September 11th...we then gave up!

We have on our west coast house we pick up BBC etc from Jersey....once 10 kms inland you are then into the satellite world! We have sky boxes - Sky actually did an amnesty for a while - pay (I can't remember the exact price) £14.99 & you get all the free to view for 2 years which includes BBC 1 & 2, 3 & 4, News 24, ITV 1,2,3 ( at the moment) & 4. Channel 4 & 5 Sky News CNN and a few others. This offer has now finished - we wait now to hear what is the next thing we have to do in 18 months.

DVD - (you learn as you make blunders)...we bought loads of DVD's in the States last year ( so much cheaper), then discovered we couldn't play them in Europe, you need a universal DVD player - this is important especially if you are going to have guests from across the pond..they are available in Europe you just need to ask if it is for Europe only or universal - zones is another term....don't be conned, we got a player (made in Turkey of all places), for 50Euros in our local GITEM store - but some electrical retailers will tell you it's 300Euros +...so beware! It is possible to download software from the internet for free - but I couldn't get my head round it.

DVD's - I'm sure you are all aware that most of the DVD's are in English - just select the language...we offer our guests membership at our local rental shop.

We did have American guests from Houston Texas who arrived with a case load of DVD's to watch - 30 plus...I hate to say it they were guests from hell - flooded the house 3 times...(I won't tell you how but the loo and their products they liked to use were part of the equation) even the ceiling came down in the cellar. Everyday they called us at least 2 times a day with something different - (in the end my husband said to Ed "Ahhhh Houston calling - you have a problem!") - they couldn't watch DVD's was one of the calls - it was necessary to swop the players over.

The answer I am trying to give is yes, TV, Satellite and DVD's seem to be very important - many times I've had in guest book how the test match was enjoyed by Dad while the kids enjoyed the beach! We've also had a lot of senior management stay who have commented that keeping up with what is going on even while on holiday has been good. Those that don't want to know about TV don't switch it on.

We also leave loads of children's VCR tapes - a whole Walt Disney library for those rainy days or when Mum needs a couple of hours to read a trashy novel or something...they get used lots!!
paolo

Post by paolo »

I have to admit, although we bring up our children without television (yes, just like the 20th century never happened!) during our recent stay in a cottage in Cornwall they were both very out of sorts and it was a great relief to scrabble about in a cupboard and find a tape of 'Chitty Chitty Bang Bang'. That shut them up good and proper. So don't forget to stock something for the kids, like Tansy says. The parents will be grateful.

(Isn't Chitty Bang Bang a good film? I haven't really seen it before - wouldn't mind watching the rest of it).
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Christine Kenyon

Post by Christine Kenyon »

We've just "updated" the TV and have bought one with a video and DVD player. The feedback so far has been good.

We've bought a few videos and DVDs for the cottage and advised people to bring their own as well. These include "pretty" videos about the Lake District (so that they know what they're missing when it rains!!) and DVDs and videos (including some for kids). I bought these on special offer at the local supermarket so they weren't expensive. We're also taping films from the TV and leaving them in the cottage - probably a legal "no-no" but we're doing it anyway. The only sad thing is that when I look at the overall collection of videos in particular it looks I'm a Hugh Grant fanatic! Help ......

Christine
www.stybarrowcottage.co.uk
www.troutbeckcottage.co.uk
paolo

Post by paolo »

Nothing wrong with Hugh Grant on a rainy day...
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

Christine... ditto for Tom Hanks in my cottage!! Mind - i don't think I would have "Ladykillers" if you gave me it free. woeful........

I've got some classical CD's - you know where you preview a couple then send away and cancel but get to keep them? They seem popular. I've also made sure I've got some childrens videos and tapes in too. Along with the Marx Brothers, Father Ted and a couple of Newcastle United videos what more could a holiday maker want :lol:
Christine Kenyon

The UK Saturday newspapers can be useful for a cheap way of getting DVDs. We now have Brassed Off and Gregory's Girl courtesey of the Mirror, one from the Times and one from the Guardian (but I can't remember the names!). But the most we've paid is £1.10 - and we run a village store which sells newspapers and magazines so it's a win-win situation!

Christine
http://www.stybarrowcottage.co.uk
http://www.troutbeckcottage.co.uk
Christine Kenyon

Hi, Soodyer. I love the idea of the Newcastle Utd video. Not sure that Carlisle Utd has the same ring to it!

Another thread on videos, DVDs, etc - does anyone include reference to the fact that it's up to the guest to "police" the age limits on the videos and DVDs (eg, parental guidance, over 15 only)? I'm probably being too "PC" in our "PC" world, but I just wondered. I'm just waiting for the first over-anxious parent to say that 4 year old Johnny was upset by the Porridge video :twisted:

Christine
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

No, I don't "police" the videos but I do remove any terrible paperbacks (Danielle Steele etc!!!) guest leave in the bookcase in case people think they are mine!!!
Christine Kenyon

WHAT!! And you leave the Newcastle Utd video :roll:
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

HA!! on Newcastle's current form (beaten 4-0 saturday) I should be ashamed and remove it, but it is my husbands.... honest!