Do DVD players or satellite TV make a difference?

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

I've asked my resident expert (husband - architect) to explain the difference between the generic term "floor lamp" and the sub-category "up-light". Halogen lights are so strong that they are thrown up (hence, "up-light") onto the ceiling to be reflected down. The Ikea lamp that we all have is a floor lamp which throws a lot of the light up and also diffuses it sideways- it is a kind of hybrid. This is not something I ever wanted to know, BTW.
Best,
Alexia.
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

Ah, my "uplighter" at home is a posh IKEA one, was around £40 and is halogen so I think that qualifies!! Those £8 ones I have seen in pubs, restaurants, b&b's in the UK and across Europe. I can just see peoples reaction same as ours "wow, they're cheap, I don't know if I need them but I must buy them" :)

I think with the furniture at IKEA it depends if you go for the very cheapie stuff. We bought decently priced pine wardrobes and dressers about 10 years ago, used them here then they fit into a cottage better. They are in perfect condition and look great. The dodgy stuff used to be from MFI - had a cheap melamine dresser when we were first married. When you pulled the drawer front it often came off in your hand.

In bed and breakfasts that white melamine stuff from the 70's is an unforgivable sin in my book!

Sorry to be off topic Brooke, but these threads seem to evolve and have a life of their own, don't they?
Christine Kenyon

Post by Christine Kenyon »

Help, Sue! Someone's switched the lights off. Or else it's an invasion of the Corsican electricity company and we've no electricity. Anyway, I can't see the pics of (your no doubt, beautiful) uplighter/floor lamp. What am I doing wrong?

Christine
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Christine,

I used to be unable to see pictures that people posted, until I discovered that it was because I had told my browser to only accept images hosted on the site I was browsing. I did that because it drastically cuts down on ads, but I missed our LayMyHat posted pictures too much! :)
Brooke
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

It's still there!! That's not my lovely posh one though, it was just from a google image search :)
Isnt' google wonderful!
DivineMrsM

Post by DivineMrsM »

On the subject of Ikea, I posted elsewhere about the fact that lots of the furnishings at my sister's place were bought there and everyone loves them - especially the beds. Apart from the super-cheap stuff (yes, we have those lights in our home too...!) then it really can be good quality - honest!!

Anyway. Back to the plot. We have lots and lots of DVDs and videos at le Cheval Blanc. Mostly from my own collection that we have watched and have no great desire to watch again. That's not to say that they're rubbish mind you :lol: .

We don't charge a rental fee for the DVDs etc. To be honest, I don't think my sister even checks them against an inventory. Probably should :? .

Sue - have you tried those plastic tube cable organiser thingies from :cough: Ikea? Cheap as chips and tidies everything up.
Lynne
for Metropolitan Retreat in London https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/6712284
and
Le Cheval Blanc in France https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/6714302
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

Must try the cable organisers, thanks!
The lack of power points is the biggest issue which can't really be solved neatly without a rewire. :(
smudge

Post by smudge »

We've always been againts having TV's, but last yr we decided to put a TV nd DVD player in all our gites. I'm glad we did, with the terrible weather we had last yr it really made a differance to our guests, and it always breaks the ice too. I have a fairly large collection of DVD's which I lend to guests, i put a list of all the films in each gite and the guests come to me whenever they want one.

In the past most of our guests said how lovely it was not having TV but now I think maybe you nee them.
I do agree though that people don't go to a beautiful country to watch TV
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I was dead against putting a TV in our new apartment, we usually enjoy doing other things. However when we were in Canada at Easter we became addicted to 'That 70's show' which we now miss terribly.
ourinns

Post by ourinns »

We put DVD players in a couple of rooms as a bit of an experiment and have found that, for the most part, those staying with us (so far: we've only had them a few months) don't have any interest in them. However, it's not the case that everyone is coming here for the scenery and the couple that were here for the rugby used it all the time.

Going by the trial so far, we suspect that during the summer they'll hardly be used because people are here then for the scenery and the heat. In the winter we get a slightly different profile of guests who are, in the main, not here for the scenery as such so should use them a lot more.

Arnold
tansy

Post by tansy »

Arnold - couldn't agree more...having just returned from a holiday, the best part of it was not having a tv...and we were away during the swingometer period! PHEW!!!!
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I've just spoke to a TV/DVD addict friend who is obviuosly taking an unhealthy interest in how much we will be charging for our apartment, as he's been trawling websites of other property in the area. He has just asked me why no-one has TV's. Personally we're ususally out skiing all day, then out for a meal in the evening and too tired to watch TV later, but maybe those with young families would appreciate it.