Relentlessly negative response to enquiry

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
windrush

Relentlessly negative response to enquiry

Post by windrush »

I'm sure we all get enquiries that just don't fit the bill, but I got this one today that ticks multiple "no" boxes.

"Hi, I came across your website and I'm wondering if your cottage is available for the weekend starting 7th October 2011 (Friday) for 6 adults and 1 baby? If so, is it available for 2 nights? Alternatively, do you have any other cottages that are available to recommend for that weekend at Bourton-on-the-Water?"

Where to start. This is over-occupancy, we don't offer lets shorter than a week, our changeover day is Saturday, those dates are booked anyway, we don't have any other properties. So my reply was basically a long list of "I'm sorry, but ... I'm sorry, but ..." and I feel a bit bad for the guy. I tried to think of a few positives I could add in, but there just weren't any :(
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

I get those from time to time. I guess you don't necessarily need to list all the reasons why they can't book.

Just a "I'm sorry but we are already fully booked." would have done the trick, I guess... :?:

I wouldn't feel too sorry for them. It probably just means they haven't really read your details, and instead just fired their query off to as many people as possible...
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.
kg1

Post by kg1 »

Our latest hopeful was 6 adults (we sleep 5) 2 dogs & 1 child for 1 night. Ah bless!!
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

The worst I had was two years ago. Our adverts are very clear that we only accept 6 people, and I had a request for 9 adults and 4 children. Where do they think they're going to sleep!

TC
Bridg1t

Re: Relentlessly negative response to enquiry

Post by Bridg1t »

Hi, I got very similar enquiry, also yesterday, (and am in Oxford). It was 6 adults and 2 (!) babies though- I take 4 max and the time was booked. The English was very poor and they'd put a series of noughts as the phone number. I didn't respond on this occasion, as I thought it looked scammy. I often send a canned response along the lines of:

".....thank you....I regret I cannot accommodate you on this occasion because ......., but please contact me in the future....have a lovely visit"

If the enquiry is way off the mark though, I ignore it!
windrush

Post by windrush »

Topcat wrote:The worst I had was two years ago. Our adverts are very clear that we only accept 6 people, and I had a request for 9 adults and 4 children. Where do they think they're going to sleep!

TC
Sounds like the party of 10 who tried to book our place on the basis that "the children can share the single beds" :roll:
Riverside

Post by Riverside »

Also had a similar enquiry this week! A lady originally wanted two nights that went over a changeover day, so effectively knocking out a fortnight (despite only taking 1 week bookings at that time of year). Several text messages and phone calls later over a few days and she said she would like 4 nights if that makes it better. I said sorry, no, we can't take a four night booking at Easter that means we lose so much money over the course of a fortnight.

A few days have passed and she's filled in the booking form saying 'she'll just have to book a week then, as I have no choice'. The problem now being there's six people, and our maximum is a strict 4, why didn't she mention this sooner? It could have saved a lot of hassle.
windrush

Post by windrush »

Riverside wrote:
A few days have passed and she's filled in the booking form saying 'she'll just have to book a week then, as I have no choice'. The problem now being there's six people, and our maximum is a strict 4, why didn't she mention this sooner? It could have saved a lot of hassle.
This is kind of why I give all the reasons why not in my first reply. It has happened that I've just said "Sorry, we're booked" only for them to come back with alternative dates. Then I have to explain the other reasons why we can't take their booking, as you say it's just unnecessary hassle.
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

Fair point, windrush...
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I'm quite used to having enquiries for over occupancy from the French, an email I received today even shocked me. For my 6 bed house sleeping 12 - an enquiry for a weekend in December, for 12 adults, 11 children and 4 babies :shock: