Enquierer expected us to hold until they made their decision

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

I do the same as GG. But even though I think I spell it out clearly I still had one family who thought that the 5 day period for returning the deposit was actually a 5 day period for them to decide if they really wanted it or not. There was a lot of confusion with that family, but they did book in the end and were perfect guests.

TC
Marks

Post by Marks »

Giddy Goat wrote:Having committed to giving group 1 a deadline of date X, I stick to that, and ask group 2 if they are happy for me to notify them if the first booking does not materialise.
So much the same as me except that I would mark the calendar as unavailable. If it were me looking for accommodation I wouldn't wait until an owner confirmed one way or the other about an earlier enquiry, I would be off to look for something else but then everyone is different.
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Yes, me too Mark but if I still hankered after the first property, I wouldn't necessarily book my second choice while I waited. I might well take a chance.

I guess guests' behaviour on that score really depends on how specific they are as to area, the look of the property and what it offers.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Dotty

Post by Dotty »

I do the same as GG too - except that if they come through HL which has an unknown option on the calendar I do usually mark it as unknown. It doesn't block off other searches for those dates so I can still get enquiries through, but I feel that it gives them some reassurance that I am holding it, but I'm VERY quick to flip it back to available if they don't send booking forms and payment on time. Other listing sites I leave as available until its a definite booking.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Ditto GG. I learnt the hard way that marking dates as unavailable just because people have said they want to book is the way to lose bookings.

I have had several lately - I have been replying very quickly to peoples enquiries, they decide to book immediately and then they change their mind a day or two later, sometimes without telling me! I think they go home (as they've usually been at work) and then have discussions which leads to a change of mind.

I think there are quite a few people who decide on a particular property and are happy to wait 24 hours if availability needs confirming due to a provisional booking that may not materialise.

I have one week left in October, have had 5 enquiries, 2 definite bookings, but no forms yet returned or monies paid. That week is therefore available on every listing site until I have the money!
Marks

Post by Marks »

Last question on this from me as want to understand in case my system can be improved.

Nemo has sent two booking forms out for the same week. What happens if two payments arrive in your account at the same time?
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Not ideal! This would only happen to me if the first person decided to go ahead with their booking having not replied/responded to an email reminder. So if I had given person A a follow up and they didn't immediately respond and I have therefore allowed person B to book, then I would refund person A. They would know that they are out of time in terms of potentially holding the booking.