Lightbox photo galleries

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
la vache!

Lightbox photo galleries

Post by la vache! »

Does anyone use a 'readymade' lightbox gallery for their websites? I downloaded Visuallightbox and it is dead easy and quick to use, but the free version displays the photos on their site with their watermark. It is easy because I don't need to resize all my photos twice and then add all the code, it really is a drag and ftp on my part. Is it too much the cheap and cheerful option?
CSE

Post by CSE »

I am getting to grips with

It is easy to make a album, but me being me wants something different. Hence the getting to grips with it.
http://highslide.com/

There is even an online editor.
http://highslide.com/editor/

Cost for a commercial website is only 29USD.
I ma trying some others but this one is leading the way for me at the moment.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Windy

Post by Windy »

I use Lightbox 2 on my sites - totally free and not hard once you have read the instructions

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicinde ... /index.htm

You do have to have two versions of each image and write the code though.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I managed to make the Lightbox 2 code work on a test page of my site - thanks for your advice on that, Windy. It is just such a long process to do all the photo editing and I don't have time to to it all at the moment, hence the "looking for shortcuts" post!
I'll have a look at highslide, Ian, thanks. It is cheaper than the one I found.
Windy

Post by Windy »

Well if you don't find what you are looking for, in windows you can resize a whole batch with a couple of clicks using the powertoy Imageresizer, and on the Mac you can do the same using the aptly named ImageResizer.

After than it's not too onerous for me.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Thanks John, I'll try that. I think the biggest problem for me is my fault, finding all the original photos that I have smaller images on my website for at the moment!
Windy

Post by Windy »

Well that's not going to be sorted out by a new lightbox :-)

Lightbox2 is a bit heavy on the coding side and takes a bit of getting used to so i can see why you might want a version that "just does it".

If you do find one that works for you let us know!
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Windy wrote:Well that's not going to be sorted out by a new lightbox :-)
No, I know, I just thought that by adding a separate gallery page I could start from scratch, rather than having to find the corresponding originals of the smaller photos already on the website. Image file organisation on my PC is not my strong point :roll:
Windy

Post by Windy »

Well if you ftp the photos on your web site back to your local hard drive you could resize them ....
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Windy wrote:Well if you ftp the photos on your web site back to your local hard drive you could resize them ....
I didn't think you could resize photos back up?
Windy

Post by Windy »

Ah sorry - I though t you were talking about making thumbnails from the pictures you already used.
CarolineH

Post by CarolineH »

I have a folder in my website directory on my pc (that I don't upload to the server) called "originals". I put the photos in there before I start to resize them for the site, then I should be able to find the good pictures if I need them again for something else.

Just a thought, (there have been occasions when I have broken this rule, and of course, it's always the best photo that you can't find!) hope this helps.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

CarolineH wrote:I have a folder in my website directory on my pc (that I don't upload to the server) called "originals". I put the photos in there before I start to resize them for the site, then I should be able to find the good pictures if I need them again for something else.
Just a thought, (there have been occasions when I have broken this rule, and of course, it's always the best photo that you can't find!) hope this helps.
I have a photo file of originals, but unfortunately I haven't kept it updated as I'm always in a rush when I do everything. I also have serveral Picasa files which I have used for listing sites, which are more up to date/ Time to go through all my photos and start again, I think!
CSE

Post by CSE »

If you have photos on any website like Picasa then Highslide can handle those too.
I have not tried that, but I have read that.

Lightbox is a donation. I tried that but I could not customize it the way I wanted it.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
964kevin

Post by 964kevin »

Windy wrote:I use Lightbox 2 on my sites - totally free and not hard once you have read the instructions

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicinde ... /index.htm

You do have to have two versions of each image and write the code though.
I think thats what I am using, Its pretty easy once going, one icon, one large pic, trying to use the same sized images each time...

Kevin
http://www.encantada-vacation.com

Our little piece of Florida, never get tired of being there. Love it and the people to bits.