Scared new member!! New website....

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
KathyG

Scared new member!! New website....

Post by KathyG »

Hi all,

What I'm scared of is all of you looking at my website in horror!! It's the first site I've ever designed and it's nowhere near finished yet but could I have some feedback on how I'm doing? Will initially just be for family and friends so isn't yet on public show.....fortunately!

http://www.estuaryhouse.co.uk

Thank you!

Kathy
Chalky

Post by Chalky »

Hi Kathy,

I think it's excellent. I'm not too keen on the background colour, but it's a matter of personal taste. You've got all the right information and pictures to support the words, and your 'Places to visit' page is great. You've put in the right links, so people can move around the site easily.

Apart from the background colour :wink: , if I was going to change anything it would be the double use of the word 'spectacular' in the introduction, and the photo of the dining room, which makes the room look rather narrow. Ideally I would also remove the detailed instructions on how to get there, and send these separately to guests, but as you are presently aiming the site at friends and relly's, in that context it's okay.
Chalky

Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Kathy,

I quite like the backgound colour but I would much prefer it if it was much lighter, with a very limited use of a darker version as a highlight and contrasted with white areas.

Alan
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Phew! Well that wasn't too bad!!

Thank you both for your comments, I have thought I'd probably change the colour of the background so now I guess I ought to! And I take your point Chalky about 'spectacular' and I'll go and have a look at the dining room photo in a minute.

Thank you both!

Kathy
enid

Post by enid »

I think it is a great site - loaded quickly on my poor old dial up connection. All the information I needed was there and an easy to read font . I only have one problem and that is the background colour - too strong for me and I feel it detracts from the photos especially the views. Well done - I hope you'll post again when it's finished.
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Thank you Enid, it does look like the background colour will have to go!!

I will definitely post back when all's finished, having the difficult job of finding someone to manage changeovers at the moment!

Thank you for your message, all very helpful so far.

Kathy
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

I think you are doing an excellent job so far!!!I would maybe try and take some more pictures of the living room from different angles as it looks rather long and thin and possibly a bit cramped for 12- different angled shots could help quite a bit here.Other than that-brill :lol:
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

I am going to be brave. You might want to reconsider using the word 'estuary'. To be honest it conjures up in my mind visions of a dirty river or stagnant water, and mud flats. Otherwise sort out the background, and you are on your way.
Cheers
PC
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Thank you Fraise, we're over there again next week so I'll try and take some more photos, maybe I could borrow someone's wide-angle lens - that might help!

And Paul......... not sure what to say! But it is on an estuary!!
The sea is just round the corner though, but I can't say it overlooks the sea when it's not really true.
Don't the pictures show you how beautiful an estuary can be? And mud flats are very attractive to birdy people........!

Kathy
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Hi "brave" Paul, I know what you mean !! Our house is on the Gironde Estuary and I wrestle with the same problem- still haven't really found an answer :roll:
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Fraise,

The WWW button on your posts don't seem to work, I also tried the website address from your profile and nothing happened!?

Kathy
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

kathyg,

All I am saying is, it's about perception. You know it's beautiful because you fell in love with it, and you have first hand knowledge. But the E word conjures up other images to me and maybe to others.
Cheers
PC
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Fraise,

Its fine at my end. kathyg, are you using a pop up blocker, if so that maybe the prob?
Cheers
PC
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Paul,

Yes pop-up blocker was the problem - thanks!

As for the dreaded E word, I suppose it all depends on your previous experience of E's!! Maybe I should call it a river, the French call it the sea, on maps they don't seem to differentiate between rivers, the sea and E's!! The word in French isn't very pretty so we need to call the house something else anyway.......it currently has no name!

Thank you all for your input, very helpful.
Right, must go and change that dreaded lilac background!!

Kathy
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

How about, water side?
Cheers
PC