Photos

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
Bellywobble

Photos

Post by Bellywobble »

I'm in the very early stages of puting a website together and need lots of photos of the area.
I'm not a very good photographer and it's been raining for days, which doesn't help, so I was wondering if it is possible to scan in pictures from postcards?
I hope that's not too daft a question, I really know nothing about what I'm doing.
Alan Knighting

Re: Photos

Post by Alan Knighting »

kayley wrote:I'm in the very early stages of puting a website together and need lots of photos of the area.
I'm not a very good photographer and it's been raining for days, which doesn't help, so I was wondering if it is possible to scan in pictures from postcards?
I hope that's not too daft a question, I really know nothing about what I'm doing.
You can, but the results are often less than spectacular; to a large extent it depends on the quality of the original.

What you are proposing is a breach of copyright and you could land yourself in a lot of trouble if you're not careful.

Alan
Bellywobble

Post by Bellywobble »

There goes another "good" idea. :oops:
ashtondav

Post by ashtondav »

K

The sun will shine soon on the CDS. Get yourself a digital camera, a photo editing package (adobe etc) and start taking picture after picture. You will soon become good at editing your photos and they will look superb.

Cheers

Tudor
Sometimes i sits and thinks - and sometimes i just sits...
Chalky

Post by Chalky »

it's been raining for days, which doesn't help
It may not help your photography, but it will certainly help replenish the much-depleted reservoirs :wink:
Chalky

craigkillick

Post by craigkillick »

You may (it is a big may) find some relevant photos on:

http://www.istockphoto.com (small costs involved)

or

http://www.sxc.hu/

Good for a start perhaps until you can get some good shots.
Bellywobble

Post by Bellywobble »

Thanks Craig.

There are some nice photos on the first site that I may well use. Very cheap too.
Clexane

Post by Clexane »

You may be able to copy some of the net as a short term measure. There are lots of photos that people publish of their holidays as well as the information sites for the area. Just make sure that they are not labeled as copyright.
So you wanted a holiday home in france ...

www.villaemmanuelle.com
reddevil

Post by reddevil »

clexane,
FYI even photos that are not marked copyright, are actually copyright and potentially subject to legal action.
I don't suppose any webmaster would be happy to see his prize photo appear on somebody else's site.
What the chances are of getting found out and the getting prosecuted though?
Just wanted to clear a point.
--------------------------------------------------
What would you attempt to do if you knew you would not fail?
Bellywobble

Post by Bellywobble »

Can someone help please?
I've just been onto www.istockphoto.com and registered with them as I wanted to buy some photos to use on my web site. Before getting to the purchase part, there's a great long list of terms and conditions. From what I can see, if a purchase a picture, I can't publish it! If this is the case, there's no point in me doing it.
Can someone take a look please and let me know if I'm reading this correctly?
Ju

Post by Ju »

From the legal section of the website I found this:
Permitted Standard License Uses:

iii - on–line or electronic publications, including web pages to a maximum of 800 x 600 pixel

Which means you can use the photos on your website. What you can't do is print the picture onto (say) a t-shirt and then sell the t-shirt. This does not stop you printing the image onto a promotional t-shirt which you then give away to your clients.

Hope this clears it up.

Ju

PS I'm not a legal expert, I looked into this because I want to use photos from here for another website.
Bellywobble

Post by Bellywobble »

Thank you very much. I hadn't seen that bit. I can get on with it now.
Bellywobble

Post by Bellywobble »

As an update. Having now paid and downloaded, there is a very clear notice saying that the photos can be used on a website, Just wish they had said so earlier!