Location Maps

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
la vache!

Location Maps

Post by la vache! »

I know this thread has come up before, but there are a couple of sites I have seen on LMH who have Michelin road maps to show the location of the property. I have tried everything I can think of to copy the maps off the Michelin site, but I'm sure due to copyright they are protected with non copiable code. Does anyone know of any similar maps which are available from the internet? I've tried mapquest and mappy but they can't even locate my property.
Is breach of copyright likely to be found if maps are used on personal websites and if so, how serious would it be?
janskov

Post by janskov »

I had placed map on my site – without knowing that it was copyrighted.
It was spotted by the owner and I off course removed it immediately.
Since then I have been careful and are at the moment using a map from the CIA pages. They are public domain.
moose

Post by moose »

I haven't posted my website as its not yet finished but a friend did my location map (if you want to have a look its www.laruette.com) and here's how:

www.viamichelin.com. put in the search, make a copy of the map then put a hyperlink from the image to the result on Viamichelin.

Hope this'll make sense to some of you as its all gobblygook to me at the moment!
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Thanks Moose, I have just PM'd you about this, I will give it a try. I tested the hyperlink on e-mail, but it didn't work, but maybe it does on the website,
thanks,
Susan
TravelPixel

Post by TravelPixel »

the new fad in maps is to use the google local API. We have some on our site in the expert guides. You can add markers and overlays to the map, although it does require a fairly good coding knowledge.

search for google local on gooogle!

Dave
Martha

Post by Martha »

Unforunately though, Google Local doesn't currently cover France. Or Spain, I think.

If you have a look in the viamichelin site, they have an FAQ which covers linking to their maps...you need to create an account to link to a direct map, but I don't think this costs anything.

I was also thinking of linking to the AA site as it does printable directions throughout Europe. Perhaps you can link directly to the route? I'll let you know what I find
TravelPixel

Post by TravelPixel »

its true it doesnt cover france or spain in the same detail as the uk or us but you can use overlays if you are looking to use google local on your site.

Most areas have good 'satellite' detail .

8)
AndyLucia

Post by AndyLucia »

Just a quick heads up about Google Maps (or Google Local, as they used to call it). Within the past few weeks they have dramatically improved the quality of the images they use in much of Europe and especially round the Med. I'm starting to add them to our site, the first one is here http://www.andaluciarentals.co.uk/Prope ... 010617.htm, which is our main property; if you click on satellite view you'll see how impressive the detail now is!
AndyLucia
If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all!!
Martha

Post by Martha »

Well that's a great location! :D

Good to know. I am a bit worried about this though - our property is in the middle of a lovely wood, and I'm concerned about security.

Is a website advertising a lovely home with a DVD and TV etc in it, complete with map showing how it's close to a town but surrounded by forest, really a good idea?

It's a bit of a burglar's dream scenario, especially as by the nature of it, it's bound to be empty in off season. I was thinking of sending this information only to people who have already booked.

What do people think? Advice most welcome!!! :D
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

Firebug, I totally agree with you, as we are in a similar remote location, and I too am paranoid about attracting burglars. I'm not too worried about opportunists who may break in and run off with the TV etc, but those (and they do exist) who turn up with a large van and clean you out :( .

On all my advertising I only say that we are in a village "near Forges-les-Eaux", I don't even mention the name of the village, and I only send out location maps once people have paid their final balance 8 weeks before their rental.

Better to be safe than sorry!!!
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

I do the same as Catherine, I only hand out the actual location after the final payment has been made. These maps are great but I wouldn't put one on my site because of security issues, similarily. I don't have a map /floorplan on general release either- too tempting. I do send a plan if a party have booked and I think the layout will help them sort out bedrooms etc :roll:

www.thepetitmanoir.com
AndyLucia

Post by AndyLucia »

On the whole that's the same with us. Detailed instructions are sent out only after they've booked and paid their deposit! But this property should be ok, as it is just around the corner from the Immobiliaria who handle some of our property management issues.

We do have another property, which is in a secluded wooded area next to the beach, to which I may be adding a map; but that is only because we have some kitesurfers who have long term use of the villa at a reduced rate, on the understanding that they stay elsewhere when we have a 'proper' booking!
AndyLucia
If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all!!
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Couldn't you take a screenshot and save the image?

I've debated putting a detailed map on our website, but in the end we decided we didn't want to give away our location, even if it would take significant sleuthing to find us from a partial map.
Brooke
Martha

Post by Martha »

Thanks - it's good to know that I'm not just being paranoid. :)

I think I'll put a map showing approximate location only - we are ten minutes walk from the lifts which is the main thing for people to know, and that's a big radius for someone to look for a house in.
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

We too only send out a detailed location map and full address once the deposit has been paid.