holiday-rentals.com's new format

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

Nobody has commented on HR's new format.
Does anyone like it?
My reading of it is that the new directors have thrown out the format that Marcelle & her team spent 8 years perfecting & substituted something that dispenses with the most elementary rule for web sites: simplicity. The new web pages are a mess of cluttered information that deters the visitor to the page. Nothing flows anymore. It is disagreeable to try to follow it & I certainly wouldn't stay long on the new site if I were looking for a holiday. After trying to work out the new format for 10 minutes I felt that I needed a holiday myself.
The person responsable has mixed up the text on my pages so that it actually reads like something an illiterate would have dreamed up. I've rewritten it & hope that on Monday it will be re-done - but what an insane idea.
It might not be too bad for one property (it's still a down-grading from the excellent format that hr had developed), but for those of us with several units it is hopeless.
It's also full of design errors, Ross. I wanted to change "1" king bed" to "0" and couldn't: the choice now is "1" or "2". THE PARAMETERS have changed & our bed(1m60) is now just "double" - but I can't change the description.
How many other errors are there? Marcelle would never have let this loose until it had been properly tested.
That makes 2 important errors that I picked up on a very fast perusal of only one my pages. I haven't got the heart to look at my other 3 units.
Best,
Alexia.
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

I took a deep breath & went back to hr to check on our other units.
Ross, it's even worse than I thought: I found another crazy piece of text on the web site which I want to erase but when I log on I find that this text isn't in the home-owner's section ..... which means that I can't erase it!
Best,
Alexia.
ashtondav

Post by ashtondav »

Strange, no problem with mine. Looks very much like it did before...
Sometimes i sits and thinks - and sometimes i just sits...
paolo

Post by paolo »

I thought the old format looked really good, and this one is a bit of a mess to look at. But on the positive side...

- as all the information is now on one page there is less clicking required, which is important;

- you can print all the information off in one go;

- there are more ways to click on 'Enquire'

I guess we will get used to it, and perhaps it will increase enquiries. It should cut down enquiries for booked weeks anyway.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

Yes, it is a mess to look at - it's not clear where to go. Left, right, down, up - the eye has to do a lot of work & that isn't user-friendly.
Apparently it was done for the search engines.
The good news is that the jumbled text that I referred to yesterday is a glitch which has only affected multiple units, and with Syed's help my site is now sorted out.
Best,
Alexia.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

I was very taken aback when I saw the 'new improved version' last week and emailed my feedback to them. I agree - it's terrible! I was attracted to advertising with them initially because it was such a good-looking site. I'm sure most prospective advertisers take the look and feel of a site into consideration when choosing, and don't necessarily realise that SEO may have something to do with the way it has been set out.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

Jane,
I understand that HR has had a lot of feedback, and it is mostly negative. None of the advertisers I have spoken to is happy about it.
Best,
Alexia.
borddelamer

Post by borddelamer »

I totally agree the new format is naff!!!!!!!!!!! :x I hope that we still get bookings!!!

Can anyone check out my website and tell me what they think at www.my-french-apartment.com or holiday-rentals.com number 53888

Richard
Richard
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Hi, your site looks great, but I can't read the last line of text under your title. (MAybe a link to something?) , it;s hidden by the text box below.
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Richard,
I think your site is superb, I like the fact that the menu on the left stays with you whichever page you're viewing. Prices look rather cheap for Nice though! The only thing I can comment on is Accommodation spelt with only one 'M' on the left menu, sorry, I've got a thing about spelling!

Kathy
claire

Post by claire »

hi there

i think the new sites difficult to negotiate too.

i wonder where we stand for a refund? i shall check it out.
debk

Post by debk »

Improvement or not, I think WVR is just melding h-r into a more standarized format being used for all their sites.

It's probably good to let h-r know of your unhappiness, but they are now just a little cog in a much larger corporate wheel.

More on the WVR site mergers here
viewtopic.php?t=1621

It was bound to happen... why else did WVR invent itself?
debk