Rating - AA vs Enjoy England

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

I just had a look at the AA. Am I right in seeing that it costs £146 currently for one unit? That I assume includes all the necessary inspection and paperwork?

I don't suppose I will go that route as I expect for one reason or another I couldn't get above 3*. :(
DaveN

Post by DaveN »

Hi Nemo,
That's how I read it, and what I sent with my application.
The only extras are for signage which I don't want, and possibly for a URL from their listings page to a personal website (I found the description for that a bit ambiguous!) which I would happily do without.
Have you checked the AA criteria to see that they would cap you at 3 stars? Although similar to the VB/EE scheme they seem to be a bit more pragmatic, realistic, and focused on real-world issues (e.g. you don't have to have a butter dish!).
Some of it still seems a bit OTT though (e.g. more points for putting tourist information in alphabetical order in a folder as I recall)...
Open for business.
DaveN

Post by DaveN »

As "half an update", I now have my assessment visit booked in for 26th Jan (it could have been earlier, but it was the first date that was both un-booked, and that I could be on site).

Wish me luck, and I'll let you know how it goes...
Open for business.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Wish you luck then Dave but I'm sure you won't need it! We wait with interest for the update....
DaveN

Post by DaveN »

Well we've had our inspection, and after some pretty frantic activity getting things sorted after some "guests from hell" we got the grading we were hoping for.

The inspection took remarkably little time, but from the discussion that followed it was clear that a professional inspector can pick up a lot of information in very little time! Nothing bad I hasten to add!

So we came out of it with a 'good four star' rating.

I can't really give any comparison with a VB inspection, as we've never had one, but the inspector did seem to have a pragmatic approach. For example after seeing the contents of the cupboards and drawers in the kitchen he commented that we were clearly well equipped, but without counting the egg cups and insisting that we dig out the butter dish!

I suppose the only doubt about going down the AA route is that there is no 4.5* grading equivelant - i.e. we may have been 4* gold with VB, but 'just' 4* with the AA, but I'm not going to loose any sleep over it. I'm too exhaused after setting everthing right for that!
Open for business.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Well done Dave! We've found the inspectors that VB use (actually employed by G4) have been helpful, and as with your experience can pick up on a lot very quickly whilst also being sensible. Example - ours didn't count egg cups but did pick up a piece of cutlery and hefted it with an appreciative comment on its weight.

The inspectors also seem happy enough to talk and advise "unofficially" which can be very useful.

I still don't have any feeling for AA v VB (usefulness rather than inspection) - how about you now?
DaveN

Post by DaveN »

Hi Greenbarn,
The main 'usefulness' aspect for me was to be able to list on the VisitNorfolk website, which does pretty well in the Google search results. (I've also noticed that it seems to provide me with a commission-free way of taking credit card payments via Guestlink, though that's not entirely clear).
Since I had to have a grading to list with them, then either was equally useful, and the AA was cheaper.

I still need to get AA to update their listings as proof that I've been graded before I can advertise though.

I don't hold out much hope for my listing on the AA site - especially as they stick up a Cottages4U ad when looking for self-catering accommodation, but that wasn't really the point.
Open for business.