TRIP ADVISOR

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
catherinedonegal

TRIP ADVISOR

Post by catherinedonegal »

hey, long time no see.

just to warn everyone there is a prog on uk channel 4 tomorrow night at 9pm about trip advisor.

hope you can watch or catch up on.

EDIT TO ADD: please post on any other appropriate page here.
salmoncottage

Post by salmoncottage »

Have mixed feelings after watching (part of) that program. Thought some negative points brought up could easily have been avioded by the owners. On the other hand, how do you avoid guests who would appear to probably benefit more by booking into a psychiatric clinic rather than a B&B? Ughhhhhh!
Hell. I hope they're not reading this post... :roll: :?
'Oh, I do like to be beside the seaside'
CSE

Post by CSE »

The TV prog. Is being discussed on this thread too.
viewtopic.php?t=15969&highlight=
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
tandrash

Trip Adviser

Post by tandrash »

Review sites are prone to abuse but I think if you approach them with that in mind and look for themes and trends then you can quickly tell when someone if just having a go. I still use Trip Advisor and think it does offer something worth while.

Jez Lister
Serviced Apartments Leeds
Serviced Apartments Manchester, Liverpool, York
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Well according to this new survey, Travellers have 'deep distrust' of user reviews.

Mind you, if you look carefully at the survey sponsors, they do seem to have an axe to grind and that always make me suspicious of the reporting.
In any survey, if you look hard enough, you'll probably find some facts to support your prejudices.
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
Holiday Ray

Post by Holiday Ray »

From the above article
Only 19% always trust postings on user-review sites and just 20% of holidaymakers trust holiday rating systems.
Does that mean that 81% "nearly always" trust postings on user-review sites ? probably not, but the above statistic is pretty meaningless really.

It's quite often the stats that the author 'doesn't want us to know' that can be the most revealing.
In other words, statistics can be presented in any manner the author wishes them to be presented, depending on their 'agenda'

I wonder if Travolution and Jetsetter have any sort of 'business relationship'

I used to be a cynic, now I'm just cynical 8)
Ray
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Those are my sentiments exactly, Ray !
Holiday Ray wrote:I wonder if Travolution and Jetsetter have any sort of 'business relationship'
I suspect that Travolution have simply copy/pasted the Press Release that was sent out by Jetsetter PR dept.
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
Holiday Ray

Post by Holiday Ray »

Quite possibly e-richard,

I wondered why Travolution included a link to the Jetsetter website, me being cynical, thought there might have been a little 'link exchange' going on there, or something.

Or are such large companies above 'that sort of thing'

I would be VERY surprised if there wasn't some sort of 'mutual benefit' going on there.

Not that there's anything wrong with that of course :wink:
Ray
domino

Post by domino »

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16501967

Interesting link . TA made breakfast TV this morning.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Thanks for posting that link, domino. I've just watched it and what a slimy, patronising git Steve Kaufer comes across as. He managed to wriggle out of all the questions asked regarding the credibility of reviews, which I suppose shouldn't come as a shock.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

la vache! wrote:... what a slimy, patronising git Steve Kaufer comes across as. He managed to wriggle out of all the questions asked regarding the credibility of reviews, which I suppose shouldn't come as a shock.
Leonard Cohen wrote:
Things are going to slide, slide in all directions. Won't be nothing, nothing you can measure anymore.
I have seen the future, it is murder.
Jim
Dotty

Post by Dotty »

la vache! wrote:Thanks for posting that link, domino. I've just watched it and what a slimy, patronising git Steve Kaufer comes across as. He managed to wriggle out of all the questions asked regarding the credibility of reviews, which I suppose shouldn't come as a shock.
I caught the end part of this segment on TV as I was doing the morning going out rush.... Can confirm that what LV wrote is completely accurate based on what I saw.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

On the other hand
Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future.
John F. Kennedy
:wink:
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Yes a slippery character indeed. I had a quick look at the properties concerned and I think the B&B that has suffered at the hands of the odd bad review - was simply because of the owners response.

The owners may well be lovely people but perhaps not as articulate as others and the responses are simply long diatribes which does them no favours. We've touched upon it several times now in other threads and this for me simply confirms - it's how you respond and what you say that is the key difference between rising above a bad review or sinking down to its level.

Easy to say I know, but that is what is so great about being a member here - you can post about a difficult guest or bad review and know you will get some really positive help.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Trip Advisor also being discussed on Jeremy Vine show today after 1pm (UK time), apparently with the TA slimeball. He must be on a UK PR mission this week!