Does a real fire result in more bookings?

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
Elizabeth

Does a real fire result in more bookings?

Post by Elizabeth »

I am just in the process of refurbishing a house in the Cotswolds which I intend to rent as a holiday let. It is a small 2 bedrooom terrace cottage. What I wondered was; is it worth all the extra work and cleaning to be able to offer an open fire or should I just opt for a gas flame effect one (or even an electric one). Any opinions would be welcome.
Bellywobble

Post by Bellywobble »

Given a choice of cottage with an open fire or one without, I would always rent the one with the fire (in winter). But from a practical point of view, are your guests going to be able to clean it without making a mess ie do they have to carry an ash pan through the cottage to get to the outside? If so, they are likely to make a trail of mess.
You also would have a problem if you are letting to anyone with children and would have to provide a safety fireguard. In the days that I had one, they were not very attractive items!
Not an answer really, sorry, but just a couple of points to consider.
gh

Post by gh »

Hi Elizabeth,

Welcome.
Had a peak at your site, really nice and what views you have, just imagine looking out onto the countryside sitting beside a roaring log fire with a glass of Malt. :)
You can guess I opt for the fire, however, safety for guest's is something to think about.

Regards
enid

Post by enid »

What about a woodburning stove? Still the ash but safer than an open fire and very cosy.
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

Hi, we're investigating a dual fuel burning stove at the moment. I know it will have a door but I'm going to make a fireguard available too for guests with kids.

I remember mam drying her washing on the fireguard when we were little! :)
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Definitely an open fire or woodburner for winter lets in England! A big plus.
Buckie

Open fires

Post by Buckie »

Hi. Elizabeth, We have two cottage apartments near to Loch Lomond which originally had open fires. After a year of cinder burned carpets, ash filled hearths, and a steady stream of assistant being called for (we live on site) to kindle the fire and even stoke them we have done away with them. We see no noticable drop in bookings by not having them. Like some of the other answers, an enclosed wood or multi fuel stove may be the answer but you may still require a child guard to avoid some of the rediculous claims we hear about these days. Hoipe this will help you decide. Buckie.
Christine Kenyon

Post by Christine Kenyon »

Hello Elizabeth. Firstly, I'm intrigued that your website is for a cottage on Mull but your question relates to a cottage in the Cotswold .... there must be a story there somewhere :roll: . Secondly, I'm very impressed by your level of bookings for this year - well done! You probably don't need us to answer your question about whether or not to have an open fire!

But,I'll put my sixpenceworth in anyway. Yes! go for an open fire (or wood burning stove!). They may be a bit of faff and they may make a bit of a mess, but folk love them when they're on holiday - or least that's our experience.

I don't know if it's true, but I have heard one story of someone in our village who replaced the open fire with central heating ... and lost bookings. An open fire seems to appeal to the romantics.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Thanks for all your comments and your welcome to the forum. Please keep the comments coming. I had originally intended to keep the open fire but then I started hearing stories of burnt carpets and ash everywhere, not to mention safety (especially when you get guests who have never used an open fire before). Even the man who came to give a quote for restoring the fireplace questioned the wisdom of an open fire in a holiday let. Unfortunately I think the room is too small for a woodburner or I may have considered that. It already has a storage heater and the fire would really only be a top up. I think a wood burner would provide too much heat. I am currently looking into the possibility of an LPG flame effect fire, I believe some are quite realistic looking.

Finally, an explanation about the website. We have a holiday let on the Isle of Mull which we have let for three years now (thanks for the congratulations about the level of bookings....it has just gone mad this year). The Cotswolds cottage is a new venture and has no website yet.
paolo

Post by paolo »

As a punter, yes it would make a difference to me in the winter. But if there were other bonuses - lovely house, lovely location - I'd live without one.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Loopy Lou

Post by Loopy Lou »

Go for the gas fire - best of both worlds - but you will still need a safety fireguard for children. And tell your guests not to put anything on it to burn. Terms and Conditions:The booker must be responsible for the safety of each member of the party with regard to the fire - no liability to the owner, blah blah.

I have an open fire at home, which I love, but it does make mess and work and dust and soot.........

My tuppence worth!

Loopy
Louise
www.lacharronniere.com delightful gites in the Vienne countryside.
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

We have an enclosed wood burning fire in the lounge in the villa and guests that have stayed there in low season absolutely loved using it.

Have to add that we have marble floors, so we don't have any worries about singed carpets or rugs.

You can get some lovely real look coal or wood burning fires that are gas (in the UK)..we had one..and the effect was so realistic!
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

I must confess to what I thought when I saw the subject heading for this. I took "real fire" to mean the house had been on fire..... and was very puzzled.. :oops: I thought it was a bit extreme to get bookings!
enid

Post by enid »

took "real fire" to mean the house had been on fire..... and was very puzzled.
So did I- thanks Sue I don't feel quite so daft now I know I'm not alone!!
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Oops...never thought it could be read like that. My turn to feel silly!