Hey it's February already. What are you doing for 2006?

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Fraise,
I'm all for people making a profit but some of them seem to think we'll all pay whatever figure they make up!!
When this all started a couple of years ago they were even making up the law to suit themselves. Hopefully, most of the “cowboys� have disappeared.

Nonetheless, it is a subject which should be treated seriously. After all there is a statutory fine of up to 45,000€ for non-compliance.

Alan
CostaBlanca

Pool security

Post by CostaBlanca »

Hello Alan,
the four authorised systems
there is a statutory fine of up to 45,000€ for non-compliance
I assume that you are referring to France only (I hope). When was this legislation introduced and can you point me to a link where you have discussed this before?

Thanks
Maria
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Maria,

Yes, I was referring to France only.

You could do worse than taking a look at the following link.

http://www.french-news.com/forum/forums ... 86&posts=6

Alan
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

I'm just hoping that they don't bring the 'fence around a pool' law to Spain. We just have not got the room to put a fence around our pool.

We are seriously thinking of getting a pool alarm though for the new season.

Does anyone have one already.....can anyone give me a general idea as to how it operates. Do you take it out of the pool when in use and then put it back in the water when the pool is not in use? Sorry for sounding thick!
enid

Post by enid »

I have just told Kevin about this thread - 'what did you 'say' - 'I said we are re-doing the regrouting' he said what about - finishing the annexe to gite 2 which still needs walls built floor tiled staircase in..... - then repainting bedrooms gite 1 and deep clean for both gites - then finish the health suite, floor tile grouting paint ceiling - then all the garden tidy up then........

And we have to move back into the house!!!

But what I don't understand is why I don't lose any weight!!!!!!
gh

Post by gh »

Loopy Lou wrote:John,How do you find it works in practice? Do you keep having to cover the pool when it's not in use? What are your rules for your guests?Sorry for all the questions.
Lou
Our is being installed in April so cannot say practicalities yet, however, we intend to keep it open when it's just us at the house closed when unattended i.e. gone shopping end of the day etc, the guest's will be told to use it everytime they're finished using the pool.
Pool's are a nightmare for owners, we can't be sure they will do as instructed with cover's or alarms or whatever safety system you use. Herd one story that a kitchen chair was used to hold open a gate, couldn't be bothered opening it. At least I will feel a little better having installed a cover and including it as part of the booking form, but that is still not 100% .
Any views on this.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Crystal,

I use the in-pool type of alarm. It is a permanent fitting to the side of the pool with a detector pipe which extends into the water. It monitors wave forms in the water and is active all the time. If it detect what it thinks is a person entering the pool the alarm sounds.

To use the pool you simply disable the alarm with a magnetic key and go in. Once you have left the pool and the water has settled the alarm automatically reactivates itself. It’s not fool proof but it’s quite effective and it’s the cheapest alternative, by far.

Alan
CostaBlanca

Post by CostaBlanca »

Alan,

Thank you for your reply and the informative link. I would like to know why it was introduced. Were there so many drownings? Why are indoor pools excluded? Here, the usual pool deaths that I have read about have been by drowning in very busy public or hotel pools.

Thanks again,
Maria
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Maria,

The story has it that there was a drowning accident involving a child of a government official's family and as a gut reaction the laws were brought into force. At the same time Denmark was abandoning similar laws they had had for 15 years - because they were ineffective.

Why don’t they apply to indoor pools? Why don’t they apply to rivers, ponds and lakes? Why don’t they apply to the beaches? Why did they apply to rental properties two years before they applied to purely domestic pools? Who knows?

Alan
paolo

Post by paolo »

johnel wrote:At least I will feel a little better having installed a cover
Is that a rigid sliding cover, and if so are they as horribly expensive as I fear?
Paolo
Lay My Hat
CostaBlanca

Post by CostaBlanca »

Alan,
Alan Knighting wrote:Maria,

Why don’t they apply to indoor pools? Why don’t they apply to rivers, ponds and lakes? Why don’t they apply to the beaches? Why did they apply to rental properties two years before they applied to purely domestic pools? Who knows?
Just been doing a search for Death by Drowning in Spain in Google. One site suggested that 60 children drowned each year but that included pools, sea, reservoirs, etc. Obviously, I do not know how accurate this figure is. One child drowned last month here in the Marina Alta. He entered somehow to a locked public pool and fell in aparently. Another Spanish forum that I came accross were discussing the merits of pool security i.e fencing, alarms, covers. Maybe legislation is being considered here as well! Must do more googling.

Saludos,
Maria
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

Thanks Alan. Please can you let me know the make and model of the pool alarm you have? I assume I would be able to purchase the same type here in Spain.
cromercrabholiday

Post by cromercrabholiday »

Replacing a sash that has broken, a window frame that has rotted, cushion foam in a three-year-old sofa (£10 each as a courtesy gesture from where we bought it), top up wine stocks.

John
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

We have a new property, so we won't have much in the way of maintenance, and the next month is our high season. We do though have to add some finishing touches, pictures, rugs, and some proper curtains. And we need to find some furniture for our small terrace and garden.
CostaBlanca

Post by CostaBlanca »

Hi Crystal,
Crystal wrote: Please can you let me know the make and model of the pool alarm you have? I assume I would be able to purchase the same type here in Spain.
A number of companies are selling Pool alarms in Spain. Here are 2 links. It would be interesting to see if they are similar in type and price to the alarm that Alan has:

I have nothing to do with either company and I have not bought anything from them before.

http://www.seguridadplus.com/alarma_par ... 1266_1.htm
[url]http://www.piscinas.com/?sec=poolguard[/url]
Maria