Site Review please. Newbie to Lay My Hat

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
Morelans

Site Review please. Newbie to Lay My Hat

Post by Morelans »

Hello,

I am glad I found this site. First time posting and I look forward to sticking around for a while.

I have worked in computers for 18 years but really only mess around with websites. However we have just started our first Vacation Rental and I am very nervous about how I have positioned it with the pay sites I listed on as well as my page in general. Looking for that easy flow- simple and to the point with great pictures and info.

The link that takes you to the BROUGHT TO YOU BY has yet to add my home as she is out of town. Will be there soon.

Thanks for taking a look and responding. I will look around as well and see what I can find. I guess I should not really leave an opinion on others until you all tell me what you think in case it stinks. :)

Ok.. pressure is on now. Here it is. http://www.southernboids.com/Rock%20Creek%20Cabin.htm

Thanks in advance! Look forward to some honest opinions.

I think...

Maybe.
paul smith

Post by paul smith »

I think it's a very clear and wel designed website. Great picture gallery.
enid

Post by enid »

This looks agreat property and location. I have a few problems with the Site.

The background colour makes it very hard for me to read the text - the blue links actually hurt my eyes. A couple of nit picking comments re the text - the description of the bed runs into the shower description - sounds like the bed has a shower in it - a novel idea :lol: The list of facilities very good - the sentence beginning Also re the balcony doesn't fit with the listing style.

The photos are very good and I liked the slide show - but I wpuld also like a page of stills so that I can look at this bedromm or that with a description too! Can you do some other pages - availability perhaps - how to book etc.

As I said I think the property looks great and with a couple of tweaks the site could really show it to its full advantage. Just my opinion but I hope it helps your thinking a little. :)
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

What a great house in a fabulous location!!!Plenty of pictures of the inside as well as some of the river,well done!!The background colour was fine for me . :lol:

www.thepetitmanoir.com
Morelans

Thanks for the information - more

Post by Morelans »

I am looking over the suggestions and will see about making some changes. I really apperciate you all taking the time to read over our page and tell me what you think.

This is our first rental and I do not want to have my page be the reason for no bookings. The home really is beautiful and in a great location so if it fails I would have to say that lies entirely on me either not marketing it correctly and or my page stinks.

I have been reading through the forums as well as checking out as many other Vacation pages as I could find here. Some of you really have advanced page making skills!! I love the fact you allow others to view and comment on your pages and everyone attempts to help each other.

At first it looked like the US was on the short list for vacations as most of the pages I viewed were for far off exotic places outside the US. I was so excited about our rental home but after seeing all of the other rentals out there and the beautiful places from all over the world I am feeling like I want to expand already.

I guess it maybe a good idea to try and get this place booked first.

Thanks again !!

Shawn Morelan
Chalky

Post by Chalky »

Hi Shawn,

It looks like a lovely home in a great setting.

As far as the site is concerned, I too found the link colours a bit hard on the eyes, and I'm not sure about the intensity of the background colour either. I agree with Enid that I'd like to see more pages with descriptions and pictures of the accommodations. Also, there's no obvious way back to your home page from the picture gallery, which I think is important.

Good luck with your bookings,
Chalky

Catalan Villa

Post by Catalan Villa »

Great site, but don't you think by placing links to other sites you maybe doing yourself out of business?
debk

Post by debk »

Hi, Shawn -

Welcome!

I have no problem with the background color of your page. A bit somber perhaps but I think it fits fine with a cabin theme.

The blue links were a big problem for me. Best to tone them down into something that integrates more smoothly with the rest of your site.

Also, as mentioned before, "still" (not moving, not slideshow) photos are important. As you probably know, most people give a webpage just a few seconds before deciding whether to move on. You can grab them with excellent photos... but you'll lose them if you make them work too hard (eg, requiring them to watch a slide show before they know whether they have any interest at all in your property).

Personally, I gave up on slide shows after sitting through too many that never showed me anything worthwhile. YOURS may be great and full of excellent photos, but many users aren't going to wait to find out. Wow them with awesome photos as soon as you can.

Finally, I recommend an availability calendar and all other information be put on the site asap to make it as easy as possible for your visitors to choose you.

Hope that helps. Have fun,
debk
Morelans

Great Help, THANKS! I have made a few quick changes.

Post by Morelans »

I will be adding a link for just still pictures you can click on to enlarge next. I will put this just below the Slide Show link.

I am also looking into adding the availability calander.

Hope these new colors are better...

Thanks again
Shawn Morelan

http://www.southernboids.com/Rock%20Creek%20Cabin.htm
debk

Post by debk »

That creme link is a great choice! I think it will really help when you change the ones about the photo, too. Well done. Addicting though, so watch out...
debk
enid

Post by enid »

That creme link is a great choice!
I agree - much gentler on my poor old eyes and good with the green too.
Morelans

Im back again! Third times a charm?? :)

Post by Morelans »

I have added the Pictures link now just below the SLideshow for those who would prefer to pick and choose which to view. I have also added some info on the pictures page as well and of course the link back.

So now what do you have for me - I think it is coming along great!

Thanks
Morelans

wow.. avail calendar easier than I thought

Post by Morelans »

Ok so I did use a free one but hey.. it has the correct days on it and I can change it right?

I think that is about everything that was suggested.. so this site should be bullet proof now yea?

Thanks

Here she is:
http://www.southernboids.com/Rock%20Creek%20Cabin.htm
Chalky

Post by Chalky »

Shawn,

If you are going to have so many links to external sites, why not have them open in a new window so when people close them they're back to your site, without having to click the "back" button?
Chalky

Morelans

I actaully had them open new windows first... -more

Post by Morelans »

I was reading the tips and tricks somewhere in here and it said people do not like it when links clutter up their page with new windows. So.. I took them out.

It is a hard balance I guess tweeking here and there and getting it just right.

Thanks