Good news: one-year holiday on business rates extended

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
harcourtv57

Post by harcourtv57 »

According to the valuer (who is based in Bristol for some reason), its £3,500.
apexblue

Post by apexblue »

Then you are exempt until Apr 2013.
It is better to remain quiet and have one think you are stupid, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt....

The biggest mistake we make in life is thinking we have time.
harcourtv57

Post by harcourtv57 »

That's what I thought. But the paperwork I got this morning is asking for the sum i quoted to be paid before April. (I would phone the council but have a bad cold so finding it difficult to talk)

And despite the refund once the exemption is removed, which seems likely, we will be worse off with the much higher payment each year and also have to make arrangements for rubbish removal.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Your demand doesn't sound right. Based on my ongoing experience with the valuation office and council that doesn't surprise me! I am still trying to get my rates sorted one year down the line from purchase. I know it can be done easily, because it was easy with property no 1!

Have a look at these below.
http://www.2010.voa.gov.uk/rli/static/H ... gland.html

http://www.portsmouth.gov.uk/business/3539.html

The non domestic rate multiplier is currently 0.45p, so apply that to you, £3500 x 0.45 = £1575 would be your rates bill, if small business relief didn't apply. However I think it should if this is your first or only business rated property. You do need to "apply" for small business relief though, it's not automatic, so don't panic yet, just get in touch with your business rate department.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

apexblue wrote:www.bira.co.uk/news/freeze-business-rates-increase

Please sign to extend the freeze on business rates after Apr 2013
Signed and see that it only needs 25 signatures more. I'll pop it on my facebook page to try and spread it a little. Perhaps others could do the same?
harcourtv57

Post by harcourtv57 »

Thanks apex and nemo - I have now found in the very small print with associated paperwork that as you have said you have to apply for exemption it's not automatic - but why do they have to make it so complicated? I bet if I had just paid up they wouldn't have said anything either!
DaveN

Post by DaveN »

Well it looks from the headlines in the Autumn Statement that rate relief will be extended until April 2014.
Anyone else read it the same way?
Open for business.
DaveN

Post by DaveN »

Well it looks from the headlines in the Autumn Statement that rate relief will be extended until April 2014.
Anyone else read it the same way?
Open for business.
apexblue

Post by apexblue »

Chancellor George Osborne has dealt a blow to retailers, ignoring their pleas to freeze business rates and save them from a £175m bill next year.

Osborne failed to address the issue as he unveiled the Autumn Statement in Parliament today.

Retail Week and the British Retail Consortium (BRC) have been working to lobby Government to halt a 2.6% increase scheduled for April next year through the Fair Rates for Retail Campaign.

Some 1,480 people have signed a petition calling for a rates freeze as well as a fairer way of calculating the rates against Consumer Price Index rather than the current Retail Price Index.

The Chancellor said small businesses business rate relief would be extended for another year to April 2014.
It is better to remain quiet and have one think you are stupid, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt....

The biggest mistake we make in life is thinking we have time.
DaveN

Post by DaveN »

But from the Gaurdian analysis...
The government will extend the temporary doubling of the Small Business Rate Relief scheme for a further 12 months from 1 April 2013. More than half a million small businesses will benefit from this extension, with 350,000 not paying any business rates until April 2014.
:? :?
Open for business.
Wonkeye

Post by Wonkeye »

DaveN wrote:But from the Gaurdian analysis...
The government will extend the temporary doubling of the Small Business Rate Relief scheme for a further 12 months from 1 April 2013. More than half a million small businesses will benefit from this extension, with 350,000 not paying any business rates until April 2014.
:? :?
I don't get your 'But'. Isn't this the same as apexblue's quote: "The Chancellor said small businesses business rate relief would be extended for another year to April 2014."?
DaveN

Post by DaveN »

:oops:
Case in point I think...
(I'd quickly skimmed the response on my mobile, and missed the last line!)

Nice to get a bit of good news then...
Open for business.
falbayview

Post by falbayview »

yes, good news indeed!

wonder if you have to apply for it again, or will it be automatic for those who qualified previously.

automatic qualification would be less work for the non domestic rates section but i'll bet that's not the case... hope i'm wrong :oops:
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Having been on it for a while, I didn't have to reapply - it just carried over to all those who currently qualified. (in England anyway - the other "countries" can have differing rules :roll: )
waterwitch

Post by waterwitch »

Great news! I expect if you already qualify it will just automatically roll-over - it does for me.