A22 tolls definite 8th December

For topics that are specific to Portugal, please go here.
Armacao lover

A22 tolls definite 8th December

Post by Armacao lover »

Apparently the A22 tolls are definite see .http://www.algarveresident.com/0-44655/ ... or-algarve
I personally have no probs with the tolls but it is the messing about to pay it if you are just visiting. They are not organised yet but this is typical in my experience . Take the lettings licence. So difficult to organise.
tavi

Post by tavi »

Hi, Armaçao, the payment system for visitors is a joke.

The options for visitors will make it very inconvenient, if not impossible, for them to actually pay the toll.
CSE

Post by CSE »

I have written about the tolls (as applied in North Portugal) here on this forum. I have also written about the subject on other forums. With help on how to pay the tolls. It is not easy but it will be cheaper than paying the car rental companies charges on top.
The North of Portugal has had these tolls since October 2010.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Tom Hart

Post by Tom Hart »

casasantoestevo wrote " I have also written about the subject on other forums. With help on how to pay the tolls."

I would be most grateful if you could repeat your help on how to pay the tolls (for hire cars).
RichardHenshall

Post by RichardHenshall »

I won't attempt to answer how you pay to tolls in a hire car but the actual toll charges are available in http://dre.pt/pdf1sdip/2011/12/23200/0520805209.pdf
Rogthedodge

Post by Rogthedodge »

Evening to all..
Tom I, like Richard would like you to repeat it, as it is a subject of interest. I thought I had read every word wherever printed on "The A22 Toll" particulaly on the hire car subject.

As said before no real problem with the toll just need an easy way for me and my guests to pay it.

Oh and why start another thread when we already have one?? :?

Rog
Deary me am I real.

www.holiday-rentals.com/52179
RichardHenshall

Rogthedodge wrote:... just need an easy way for me and my guests to pay it...
Don't we all!
Rogthedodge wrote:... Oh and why start another thread when we already have one?? ...
I've read dozens of threads here and elsewhere - what harm will one more do?

I think that http://www.ctt.pt/fectt/export/sites/de ... Rapida.pdf summarises the options currently available.
tavi

Post by tavi »

I picked up a leaflet from the post office on how to pay the toll for Foreign Registered cars. It's written in Portuguese, French and English, and is pretty confusing in all three. So this is my understanding...and this would also apply to hire cars too.

You can buy or rent a transponder to stick to your car which you pre-load minimum €50. You also pay a deposit (if renting) to encourage you to bring it back. On bringing it back you are not reimbursed any unused balance, so if you only wanted to do one return journey to the end of the Algarve (€10 more or less) you'd be somewhat out of pocket.

The other way is to just drive through the toll. You then go to any post office or Payshop within 5 days and supply your car reg number - their computer will (hopefully) be able to tell how much you owe. So a small €2 toll could cost you the same again in driving around town looking for a Post Office, paying a parking meter charge...not to mention taking a Senha and waiting half an hour!!

Not sure how this will work if you're driving into Spain....unless they're going to stick a payshop on the end of the A22 where the passport control used to be?

This is only my understanding, maybe Casaestevao can tell us how it works in reality up North!
Rogthedodge

Post by Rogthedodge »

Richard

You are just showing us that not only can you speak Portuguese but can read it...LOL!!! :)

Tool booth, pay what you owe, now off to enjoy the Algarve, how easy is that????

Return to Faro>>>> Toll booth, pay what you owe, we really had a good time in the Alagarve, we will be sure to return next year everything was so easy........... :twisted: :(
Deary me am I real.

www.holiday-rentals.com/52179
tavi

Post by tavi »

Thanks Richard for that - interesting that the rent a transponder option now only exists for Foreign Reg cars. Minimum preload is not €50 but €10 - so sorry about that.

It seems that the only option for Hire cars is post payment. Not sooner than 48 hours after your journey but within 5 working days.

Where? At a Post Office which has the NAVe system(in other words not all), or a Payshop. Multibanco also but that won't work for non-Portuguese cards. What's an EC?

Unlikely that the Car Hire Companies are going to provide transponders in their cars.

Yes, it's not the cost so much as the enormous inconvenience caused to visitors to the second most important tourist area in Portugal.

Sad, really.
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Just to add to the confusion, I've just read this from a fairly reliable source:

It seems the the Portuguese Car Rental Association (ARAC) is nearing an agreement with the authorities on the tolls.

The solution being discussed is a vignette for rental cars allowing free traffic on motorways at a fixed price per 6 month period.

Provided a solution is agreed ARAC will decide the price to be charged by car rental companies.

As a result the scheduled start of charging tolls on December 8th could be pushed until January 2012 in order for the technicalities to be sorted.
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
RichardHenshall

:roll:
tavi

Post by tavi »

Would be great if the car hire companies can come up with a user-friendly solution. However, I can't see how negotiations with the toll company will result in a delay of the start date.

The rates per kilometre were published officially yesterday, not just for the Algarve but also for the other three motorways which start charging on 8th December.

This time, I reckon, there is no reprieve.
CSE

Post by CSE »

e-richard wrote:Just to add to the confusion, I've just read this from a fairly reliable source:

It seems the the Portuguese Car Rental Association (ARAC) is nearing an agreement with the authorities on the tolls.

The solution being discussed is a vignette for rental cars allowing free traffic on motorways at a fixed price per 6 month period.

Provided a solution is agreed ARAC will decide the price to be charged by car rental companies.

As a result the scheduled start of charging tolls on December 8th could be pushed until January 2012 in order for the technicalities to be sorted.
How can it? the roads in the North are already being tolled. This would mean the car hire companies in the north do not have a say in any matter.

At the moment just visit a PO or service station purchase a ticket for the distance you have travelled and want to travel if you have not already pre-purchased. There is no need for any transponder.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
RichardHenshall

e-richard wrote:Just to add to the confusion ...

... The solution being discussed is a vignette for rental cars allowing free traffic on motorways at a fixed price per 6 month period. ...
I've read a quoted email (from a car hire company) on another forum that suggests it's a done deal, though covering only from 1st January 2012 to 30th June 2012.

Have you (e-Richard) heard anything from your source?