Charging for electricity

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
ceilwart26

Charging for electricity

Post by ceilwart26 »

Do any of you have a way of reducing electricity usease?

My bills are getting very expensive and the lady in today has the heating on 40o and all the windows/doors open in December!
I know because she called me in to complain that she had ran out of complimentary diswasher tablets.

We are 4 and 5 star so I don't think it's appropriate to fit a meter, but I would love to have a way of curbing excessive usage.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Jan
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

If you have typical wall mounted central heating thermostats, it's possible to limit the maximum (and minimum) setting to which the dial can be turned. It involves taking the cover off and bending one of the tabs which will then act as a stop on the rotation of the dial. TAKE CARE - these stats have a live mains voltage feed, so make sure it's isolated; usual disclaimers.

That won't help with usage of appliances; the only thing I can think of that might help is one of the so-called intelligent monitors which can give a readout of consumption - in £ if required - which might act as a conscience pricker, or maybe in conjunction with a reasonable set amount in the rental, beyond which you'd be looking for payment.

I agree with your view on not charging separately in 4 & 5 star premises, but it's something I think we're all going to need to address in some manner as energy prices spiral. What to do? :?
gam

Post by gam »

Limiting the maximum temperature probably won't help if guest decides to leave all the windows and doors open e.g. if it's only 5 degrees outside then even limiting the thermostat to 18 degrees will still have the heating working to the max in an attempt to heat the whole outside too.

I wonder if the same principle that is often used for air conditioning would work? i.e. a switch which turns the system off if a window is open.

Greenbarn's idea of a consumption readout to prick the conscience is a good one if you're talking about considerate guests but someone who's quite happy to turn the heat up to max then open all the windows and doors probably isn't the considerate type! I think Greenbarn's other suggestion of a set (generous) allowance might be the way to go.
Naomi

Post by Naomi »

The problem of energy overuse has been bothering me. I had exactly the same problem with guests turning on the heating to maximum and opening up the windows. I even had someone ask for summer duvets during the cold snap of the 2010 winter.

My heating bills are colossal.

So last month, I installed heating thermostats that have six time zones per day. They are fitted as standard at Center Parcs. If someone over-rides the heating setting in one part of the day, it goes back to the preset level at the next time zone, which prevents people having it on all day and night at excessive amounts.

I have notices of what the temperatures are for each time zone next to the thermostats, in the guest information manual and in the access statement online.

Incidentally, I am 4 rated and the VisitBritain inspector told me that I could charge separately and keep my rating.

I shall be monitoring how the new thermostats go.
Yorkshire Lass

Post by Yorkshire Lass »

I like the sound of your thermostats - could you tell me what make/model you've bought as I definitely think I need to invest in something like this to keep my heating bills manageable. I suppose with something like this you need to keep your heating on 24/7. At the moment I've got a very simple system which comes on and off twice a day and only has a simple thermostat which you set to one temperature.
We're all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars

www.kingshousescarborough.com
www.facebook.com/scarboroughholidaycottage
www.sandsendpavilion.co.uk
gam

Post by gam »

If you're thinking of investing in a new timer/thermostat, a member called DaveN installed a WiFi thermostat (see this thread). A bit pricey at £150 but a very interesting device and an absolute boon for off-site owners.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

In our house we have this which allows for different settings at different times of day. The programming controls are under a hinged flap, and I guess it would be possible to seal this with something tamper-proof. That leaves a couple of buttons which allow the temperature to be raised or lowered until the next time setting kicks in.

I haven't used them in the cottages as they have underfloor heating with individual stats in each room, so replacing the lot would be pricey. Something I might have a think about though, especially in the hallways.

The main drawback I can see is when the property is empty and you want to knock back the heating. I'd have to investigate ours to see if the frost protect function does the job, and whether it can be set without disturbing the flap.
The wifi stat sounds like it could be a really good idea!
DaveN

Post by DaveN »

Ah - I was about to chip about the Wi-Fi stats...

The one I have works in a similar way to the other programmable ones discussed here, but only has four 'set-points' per day.

I can keep an eye on both the setting and the room temperture remotely, and change it if I see fit, but unless it was clearly being abused I would be reluctant to do so.
You can even remotely lock the key-pad to stop further meddling!

For me the main benefits are being able to check that the heating is on the frost protection setting when the house is unoccupied, and the ability to turn the heating on before guests arrive.
Open for business.
ceilwart26

Post by ceilwart26 »

Finally the electricity eaters have left, leaving both the dishwasher and washing machine running empty! Garrh - but with a lovely note to say they can't wait to come again. No.

Sadly for me we have underfloor heating with too many stats to replace them all, although it may become necessary before long. I think I might give up these winter breaks as some can cost more than I receive in rental!

Jan
Jan Holmes
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

That's a shame Jan. Are you able to work out what a fair usage would be and warn people that charges will apply for beyond that?

A carefully worded message that doors and windows musn't be left open etc? What is the point of running the dishwasher and washing machine empty? To make them clean......? :shock:
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Nemo wrote: What is the point of running the dishwasher and washing machine empty?
Based on the evidence so far, I'd guess they are major shareholders in EDF Energy.
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
Naomi

Post by Naomi »

Yorkshire Lass wrote:I like the sound of your thermostats - could you tell me what make/model you've bought as I definitely think I need to invest in something like this to keep my heating bills manageable. I suppose with something like this you need to keep your heating on 24/7. At the moment I've got a very simple system which comes on and off twice a day and only has a simple thermostat which you set to one temperature.
I have just found the information - the make is Honeywell and the model is CM907. It is a 7 day programmable thermostat and is very user friendly.

http://products.ecc.emea.honeywell.com/ ... cm900.html

My only criticism is that one of the switches (to set between auto and manual) is not that robust.
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

We have just had a Proliphix installed in our villa in Florida and can control the A/C heat via the internet, when we get a booking we enter the dates and that's it done, you can enter dates up to one year in advance.

Guest's can adjust the controls up/down, it has 4 settings and automatically goes back the programmed settings 4 times a day, when the house is empty the the A/C goes up to 85F, saving us a bit of money.

http://www.proliphix.com/products-netwo ... series.htm

We can also turn the Pool heat on/off, you can also turn on/ff an electric water heater, they are expensive but are supposed to pay for themselves in one year.
Stewart

Managing Energy Costs

Post by Stewart »

We have an efficient CH boiler and controller (Worcester Bosch CDi)that varies the temperature over six time slots in every 24 hours. So temperatures are set to run cooler during sleeping hours, are boosted for getting up, lunch and evening and otherwise ramp down mid morning and afternoons.

Guests can change a temperature during a particular slot but it will revert to the pre-programmed value after the slot expires. We have been asked only once in the last six months to make a permanent change. For most people the pre-programmed heating schedule works for the majority of the time but they will on occasion make a temporary adjustment. We get the feeling though that adjustments are very rarely made.

Comfort is highly subjective. A person compelled to make a change one day doesn't necessarily do the same every day (even when the weather conditions are similar)

You can throw all the technology you want at it but you need to give your guests the ability to make changes as they see fit. We think the above arrangement is probably the most we can do without having either the place baking hot 24*7 or imposing total control and alienating our customers.

We have also agonised about charging for energy separately during the low (cold) season. Our property is priced for mid-market and rates are lower than our immediate competitors. We'd rather cut room rates than try to keep them and absorb the energy costs. We have come up with a daily allowance that will equate to meeting half the energy costs. Consumption above this is charged at cost. I guess we are trying to show a commitment and hoping our customers will buy in to behaving in a responsible and eco-aware way.

For the increasing number of "deal seekers" the approach is not too far away from the airlines.

This is our first low season so we'll be taking soundings as often as we can to see if this proposition flies.
Naomi

Post by Naomi »

Stewart - thank you for your informative reply. May I ask you a couple of things?

What are the temperatures that you set in the six time zones?

I have been searching the Internet everywhere for optimum temperatures without success. I realise that it will depend on where you are and in Scotland, the temps will need to be set higher than southern England.

Have you rigged your thermostats so that guests can only alter the arrows up and down and not the master controls?

Moderators - can this thread go into the Members Section? How do you alert the mods - I can't see how you do it?