Personal brochures, PDFs and optimising pics

Using press and magazine advertising, brochures, mailings - old hat or still cost-effective?
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Paolo,

Another neat little tool you might like to try if you are into playing with graphical objects.

It is called Professor Franklin and includes a library of pre-designed effects you can apply to pictures. Look on CNET for the source.

Alan
paolo

Post by paolo »

Thanks, I will check it out.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

If anyone is still considering the virtues of creating PDF files but finds that Adobe Acrobat is too expensive go to the following site for a selection of downloadable tools.

http://www.download.com/3120-2001_4-0.h ... =nl.e415-2

Alan
Paul Rutter

Post by Paul Rutter »

Hi all, forum newbie here.

just thought I would add that in my opinion norton AV is 'rubbish', I have used Grisoft's AVG for years now and it is 100% every time, run norton and then download AVG and then run that. be afraid. <http://www.grisoft.com> Oh its free as well.
also norton slows up internet and hogs the ram. AVG will not scan for malware.
Norton is only aimed at preventing 'virus' and 'trojans', if 'spyware' is installed as part of a download then it can only assume that you are making an 'informed choice'.
Well spyware comes for free even if you dont download anything, as the codes can be hidden in almost anything.

may I 'ad' hijackthis and spybot to the list of useful toolz

Paul
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Paul,

I use Norton Internet Security and AVG Anti-Virus and Webroot Spysweeper and Netgear Firewall. Between them almost literally nothing undesirable gets through.

I agree, Norton not only slows down the Internet but slows down things like Word by doing a virus scan on loading but it is effective. On balance I prefer AVG for anti-virus and, as you say, there is a free version.

Based on my experience, the subjects of viruses and spyware are grossly exagerated. I haven't had a single instance of either during the last three months. That's not to say that I would be without protection against them.

Unsolicited mail (spam) and fraud (scam) are much bigger problems if one is stupid enough or gready enough to fall for them.

Alan
rich_sipe

Post by rich_sipe »

Wow took a while to catch up on this conversation. I LOVE Photoshop. It takes a while to learn but it is well worth the time. I don't claim to know more than 25% of the program but once you get the hang of it you can really make your website and printed material WOW!

We just finished construction on our vacation home and it is the middle winter so the golf course next to our house is brown, not very nice for photos showing the views. So, using photoshop, I made the grass green. The examples are below.

ImageImage

ImageImage

I could have taken more time and done a bit better job but even what I did is a great improvement. I try and touch up most of my photos to give them more of a professional look. My photo eye is not the best but I think the photos still are improved.

We also have created a print brochure that we printed on some parchment paper (kind of a old style nice paper light brown in color). Eagle Crest Rental Brochure It could use some more work but it is nice to be able to hand something to people. I think I will also be creating business cards because I find that people either can't remember the URL or they just don't remember to check it out once they get home.[/img]