Search Engine optimisation ..............

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
mpprh

Search Engine optimisation ..............

Post by mpprh »

Hi

just a warning :

BMW Germany has been dropped from googles listings because of dubious search engine optimisation practises.

This is an example of "cloaking" where the robot sees a different page to that of users.

"In this case, Google found BMW used techniques that presented substantially different pages when the search engine visited compared to real human visitors. These doorway pages violated the company’s webmaster quality guidelines, specifically the principle that says: “Don’t deceive your users or present different content to search engines than you display to users.� "

The full article is here : http://www.just-auto.com/news_detail.as ... 814&dm=yes

Peter
The Languedoc Page
www.the-languedoc-page.com
paolo

Post by paolo »

Sounds like some very well paid SEO firm is now very much poorer.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Ju

Post by Ju »

It sounds to me like Google are getting too big for their boots. If I am looking for a BMW on the web I except the BMW site to appear. If it doesn't I would go toe MSN or Yahoo.

Google do NOT own the web, and it is about time they realised it.

Rant over.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

I have just done a Google search for BMW Germany and guess what. BMW.de is number 1 on page 1. A bit further down page 1 is a notice saying BMW.de isn't there. Rhubarb!

Alan
mpprh

Post by mpprh »

A follow up :

"Google’s blog on Wednesday confirmed the automaker had complied with conditions for re-listing. "

Full story here : http://www.just-auto.com/news_detail.as ... 815&dm=yes

Just wonder how quick the reinstatement would have been if it was a Mr Smith with a B&B in Dordogne ?

Peter
The Languedoc Page
www.the-languedoc-page.com
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Peter,

No doubt, in an instant.

Alan
marcus

Post by marcus »

As a Mr Smith who lives near the Dordogne I hope to be able to answer that soon.

I have a site (not my rental site) that I bought and introduced a month ago. Doing well in MSN but not even indexed by google.

A bit of research told me that the site name had been previously owned by someone else (I didn't know that when I bought it) and that automatically leads to a site being struck-off by google (to avoid exired domain names with high pagerank being used for dubious practices, apparently)

As I now know, many pages have been written on this subject. I have applied for reinclusion in the google index but understand this can take many months (if you are not BMW).

I wait with bated breath but little optimism.

Cheers
Marcus
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

It took us about 6 months, and with a loss of page rank (From 5 to 4)
Cheers
PC
niels

Post by niels »

Those are the benefits if you are a authority site, they even got 30 days to fix it.
ck

Waiting on Google!

Post by ck »

Ju stated:-
It sounds to me like Google are getting too big for their boots.
This is true but like most things in life the bigger companies have the bulk of the control over what we lesser mortals are allowed to consume. Putting that aside over 80% of net users use Google, which, as irritating as it is, is something we're going to have to put up with! Educating users to utilize other search engines is far outside our scope.
Whilst on the Google subject I would be interested to hear from as many people as possible just how long it took them to get a listing on Google, so please take the time to jot down a few lines with timescales etc.
I understand that "suggesting" your site on the ODP via DMOZ is the first step to getting a listing on Google. Anybody got any advice on speeding the process? To my understanding all submissions are "human edited", graded and then put in the "sandbox" for an undisclosed period, is this actually what happens, if anybody knows the truth please let me know!
I've been waiting for about two months now and have pretty good page positions on Yahoo, Altavista and MSN. Look forward to hearing your thoughts on this subject.

Best regards,
ck

Still trying to get it right!
niels

Post by niels »

Is bodrumbay.com your site? if so, the homepage of that site is in google, cache date: 14 Feb 2006 19:24:07 GMT

The best way to get in google fast is having inbound links, a listing in dmoz is nice but not required, and it can take months/years before someone reviews your site, depending on topic and the backlog.

Maybe setup a small link section and exchange some links with friends or people from this forum.

Niels
paolo

Post by paolo »

Applying to DMOZ has got nothing to do with being indexed on Google. All you need to do to be found by Google is to have a link to your new site from a site that is already indexed by Google. When Google next visits that site, it will follow the link to your site and make a note of it. Then it will come back and index it. This process normally takes between a few days and a few weeks.

After that, you will find your site has a low Pagerank and is impossible to find in a normal search - this is what people call the sandbox or ageing delay. It takes something like 6 months to get through this.

If you can get your site listed on DMOZ (this can take more than a year, if it ever happens), it should give you a boost in the search engines - as DMOZ is human-edited it confers extra respectability to be accepted. It would also get you indexed by the search engines, but that should already have happened long before DMOZ includes you.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Paolo,

I don't want to get into the question of what phrases people will use when doing a search. I want to raise a question about SEO.

When I do a search on "Alan Knighting", (I know, I know, it's not a phrase that anyone would use) I get the following results, immediately:-

Altavista - page 1
AskJeaves - page 1
Dogpile - page 1
Google - page 1
Lycos - page 1
MSN Search - page 1
Yahoo! - page 1

My question is, "How come? I have done no SEO optimisation on my name but there it is on page 1, sometimes No. 1. How come?" If I changed my name to "French Holiday Home" would I still be on Page 1 or would I disappear into the morass?

Alan
ashtondav

Post by ashtondav »

Alan

No real mystery here. The more specific the search and the more specific your name the more likely you are to be number 1. Simply because there are few alternatives which match the search request.

If you search my username, which i use in a number of forums and is more specific than yours, not only am i number 1 on google but google only has 2 pages (268 entries)!

Call yourself 'Monflanquin-villa.com' and you are more likely to be No 1, or first page, when someone searches 'Monflanquin villa'.(Google has 28,000 entries) Call yourself french-villa.com and you would probably have to do some SEO to get on page 1 for a search for 'French villa', where google has over 6,000,000 entries!

Regards

Tudor
Sometimes i sits and thinks - and sometimes i just sits...
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Tudor,

The way I read your reply is that SEO is totally necessary when one wants to be a prominent little fish in a big pond.

Alan