We just got our new website open

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
Margalide

We just got our new website open

Post by Margalide »

Hi,

I'm new to the forum, but been reading it all for a while, getting tips.

Anyway for this year we've decided to try having our own website instead of just relying on listing websites.

I think we need to get a professional photographer in to take some new photos, but will probably wait until Spring when the skies are blue and there are some leaves on the trees!

Still more to do in the "Location" part, where's the supermarket, etc. and a whole page for interesting attractions in the area.

http://www.maisonmargalide.com
sallyandalan

Comments on Maison Margalide website

Post by sallyandalan »

Hi,

I've just joined the forum, and am no expert, so don't take these comments too seriously. Looks like a nice property, and the pictures seem good to me.

I found the overall website layout a bit confusing though, I wasn't sure what the login button at the top-left was, and after clicking "check availability" it took me a while to realise I needed to scroll down to see the calendar.

On the location page, I think it would be good to add mouseover text or something to make it clear what the different pushpins represent, and maybe add a "Get directions" button, or some text explaining how to find it.

Regards,
Alan
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

It seems a bit clunky to be compelled to access your (hidden) photo gallery by having to click on 'Availability'. If I was breezing through for a quick look, I'd probably never find it. It seems a missed opportunity to repeat some of the same information on your 'Availability' Page that you already have on the Home Page. And I find the following guest quote incomprehensible:

"Just returned from a fabulous day walked the stone fridges followd by lunch at the ' 3 pics ' gorgeous and lovely weather."

I also find your 'Privacy Policy' long-winded and pretty draconian (maybe it's just me?). If I read that: ... "We may share information with Governmental Agencies, Police or other companies assisting us in fraud prevention or investigation ..." - I'd probably run away to the next holiday site. Do other members on here have 'privacy policies' on their websites, I wonder?

You urgently need some good photographs of places to visit and guest activities in your area. But it looks to be a nice property in an interesting location, so the best of luck!

Jim
Margalide

Post by Margalide »

Hi Alan & Jimbo

Thanks for your comments.

The Log In is for guests who have booked to come back and make changes or pay their balance etc - I just changed it to "Guest Log In" - still finding my way around the admin and where to change and add things.

The privacy page was put there by the designers, probably some EU law, if you collect people's info, then you've got to tell them what you are going to do with it.

Thanks again for the comments, still a work in progress and getting more info on there, what's there is basically what is on our listing adverts.

Thanks Ros
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Margalide wrote:The privacy page was put there by the designers, probably some EU law, if you collect people's info, then you've got to tell them what you are going to do with it.
Can you not just display the privacy policy once guests have logged in ?

I liked your on-line booking system in that one click fills in all the details, but then its impossible to go further and book ?
When one clicks "checkout", there is no way to submit the booking, you can only go "back". Is this just a temporary issue ?
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

Jimbo wrote:It seems a bit clunky to be compelled to access your (hidden) photo gallery by having to click on 'Availability'.
To be fair, you get the same page by clicking on "The Cottage" which I think would be the logical place to click on if you wanted to find out more, so I think it's a bit harsh to say it's hidden.
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

kendalcottages wrote:
Jimbo wrote:It seems a bit clunky to be compelled to access your (hidden) photo gallery by having to click on 'Availability'.
To be fair, you get the same page by clicking on "The Cottage" which I think would be the logical place to click on if you wanted to find out more, so I think it's a bit harsh to say it's hidden.
Given that a rental site's photographic gallery is, initially, the most important item for me when I'm in a rush and breezing through a number of websites hoping for a property/location to grab my attention, I'd say that the logical place to find a photo gallery would be to click on a header or a link that said 'photo gallery'.

But we all have different approaches to searching, so I apologise for saying 'hidden'. Perhaps 'tucked away' ...?

Jim
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

That wasn't my point, Jim. Your post claimed that the pictures could only be found by clicking on 'Availability'.

In the absence of a gallery page, the most logical place (for me, at least) to expect to see further pictures was by clicking on "The Cottage" and I was merely pointing out that clicking there brought up the same page.
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.
Margalide

Post by Margalide »

Wow, so much feedback!

Before I start a fight between Jim & KendalCottages, I'm reading the comments and making changes all the time. It did say "Online Booking" but after the first comments changed it to "The Cottage".
Can you not just display the privacy policy once guests have logged in ?
I had to email the designers about this, just got a reply. EU Law says you have to explain what you do with peoples info they submit and also what any cookies do that are set by a website, so it has to be visible before they log in.
I liked your on-line booking system in that one click fills in all the details, but then its impossible to go further and book ?
We like it too especially when it turned out cheaper to have this website with the booking bits, than the quote we had from a local designer without the booking.
When one clicks "checkout", there is no way to submit the booking, you can only go "back". Is this just a temporary issue ?
You need to enter the Guest Information, who's staying, age of kids etc before it will let you continue. Seemed obvious when the designer talked me through it, but I've added a bit more text to explain.

Ros
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Margalide wrote:
You need to enter the Guest Information, who's staying, age of kids etc before it will let you continue. Seemed obvious when the designer talked me through it, but I've added a bit more text to explain.
Yup, I understand now, but even though you have added that little bit of text at the top be aware that "most" people do not read instructions :cry:

Just a thought/suggestion, and your designer may or may not agree:
Always show the continue button, but in a disabled (dimmed) state until all the necessary info has been completed, then make it live. Its kind of more intuitive that way.
** Richard
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Margalide wrote:Before I start a fight between Jim & KendalCottages, I'm reading the comments and making changes all the time. It did say "Online Booking" but after the first comments changed it to "The Cottage".
Well, that's a relief! Thought I couldn't remember a link called 'The Cottage' when I viewed the site.

Jim
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

Ah... apologies, Jim...! :oops:
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

No worries, KC. Your post made me think that perhaps I should choose my words more cautiously (not for the first time!).

Margalide (aka Ros) has given a pointer to others hoping to benefit from this section of LMH by responding speedily and thoughtfully to comments - and by initiating change. Always encourages participation from other members.

Jim
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Jimbo wrote:Margalide (aka Ros) has given a pointer to others hoping to benefit from this section of LMH by responding speedily and thoughtfully to comments - and by initiating change. Always encourages participation from other members.
Hear hear
** Richard
Margalide

Post by Margalide »

Just got back from a couple of days skiing in Cauterets with friends.
e-richard wrote:
Margalide wrote:
Just a thought/suggestion, and your designer may or may not agree:
Always show the continue button, but in a disabled (dimmed) state until all the necessary info has been completed, then make it live. Its kind of more intuitive that way.
I've passed that on to the designers - make sense to me.

I've just added the extra currencies to the website, now we can take pounds, euros and dollars, hopefully it should ease the problem of cross border bank transfer or cheques and can pick up some out of season short breaks for the French & Spanish