new owner and website

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
sylvie

new owner and website

Post by sylvie »

Hello, I rent a flat si nce a few month, and the website is new and newly translated : http://locationmimizanplage.free.fr
I would be glad to have some experienced advice... Have a nice day
CSE

Post by CSE »

I must have missed this one, sorry about that.

The website is in French and my French skills are not enough to give you suggestions as what you should or should not be adding.
I do not like to use Google translate as it can throw up some awful errors.

I do not think you should be using Blogger to make a website. Maybe use something like Wordpress (WP). The links on the right open up new pages all the time It is considered good practice to have links on your own website to open in the same browser page. Links to other websites usually open in new browser pages.
I can see some errors in your photo albums. Like on this page.
http://location-mimizan-plage.blogspot. ... plage.html
Open up the album and it says you have 4 photos. One of them appears as a red dot. I assume the link is not correct.
Having stayed in Arcachon recently I know the area has great vocational opportunities. I am not a beach person but the beaches in that area are fantastic. I really do not think your photos do the beaches any justice. Some are taken on overcast days, some people in the photos have either raincoats or jackets on.
I liked the video of the dolphins and of the link to the webcam.
The location of your property should sell it very well.
One last thing:
One link you have reads Kontaktanzeigen, but it does not link to any sort of vacation business. Is this correct?
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
sylvie

Post by sylvie »

Hello casasantoestevo. I like your help, because you have really observe my website! I am going to put more sunshined images of mimizan. i suppose you referr to the diaporama in the index page?
About "Kontaktanzeigen" it was integrated in the back-link of http://www.ferienhausmarkt.com/; but I will read carrefully their conditions and see if I can omitt this part!
Strang about the page http://location-mimizan-plage.blogspot. ... plage.html, I do not see the error... I will prospect more.

For the website it is done without any tools (like wordpess or Blogger). I wrote it (my job). So, the links on the rights are going outside : to Blogger. Maybe I have to think to stay in the same window anyway.
I chose google translate because I don't care about the exact translation for explaining my little flat... I think pictures help.

Thank you for your help. I like to hear new advice.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

sylvie wrote: I chose google translate because I don't care about the exact translation for explaining my little flat... I think pictures help.
I just tried it and gave up quite quickly. I don't speak French (only a little) and therefore had to use the translate version. I couldn't see any words on the welcome page, just a photo. The news on the right hand side didn't translate.

When I went to a new page the translate made it slow and not good to use. Therefore as an English speaking guest I would have given up. However, I'm guessing that you won't come up in any English searches anyway and therefore won't get any English customers via your website?
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

I suppose it depends on your intended market.

If you don't offer a good quality English translation, then I guess it's fair to assume you won't get as many English guests as you might otherwise.

I notice you are quite close to the border with Spain so maybe a Spanish translation would also be worth considering.
...because I don't care...
...but really you should!! :)
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.
964kevin

Post by 964kevin »

Sorry, but for my part the initial banner makes the sea look good etc, and the rotating images it looks overcast and not welcoming.

The purple left banner is not colour friendly with the sandy mainframes....otherwise my French is shocking.

Kevin
http://www.encantada-vacation.com

Our little piece of Florida, never get tired of being there. Love it and the people to bits.
sylvie

Post by sylvie »

Thanks for you all to have taken time to see the website and to answer to me. First of all, I apologize of a mis-understanding : I don't care of an exact translation, but I care to be correct for foreigners visitors.
In fact, I rent a lot with french people, and in Mimizan most of the others tourists are from north europe. For the moment the traduction is not a main point, because as you said, I don't come up in foreign searches. But I don't like the slow translation although. I have to think about it. But I like the multiple traduction in all languages.

I really need to change the welcoming diaporama...
sylvie

I changed the website

Post by sylvie »

Hello, I tried to modify my website, hearing all your remarks. The domain has a new name, the welcoming slideshow is more sunny, and soon a better translation... http://location-landes-mimizan-plage.com
wallypott

Post by wallypott »

Hi Sylvie

I only went into the welcome page and the description page - I'm on a slow connection and I could only handle so much frustration, but, the translation seems ok to me. Some of the exterior photos of what I assume are the house you rent could do with a bit more dressing - i.e. the garden photo with a the table and bare cement wall behind. Also some of the photos are of some quite strange things and seem more like your holiday snaps than photos to sell your product. The pink wire coat hangers (why?). Its a shame because they make it all seem a bit unprofessional.

Your beach shots are great though, and look very inviting, but if you have a look at some of the other members websites (not mine) you'll see what I mean about the professional photos.

Please don't take it badly.
CSE

Post by CSE »

I have to say too remove the Google translation.
I also found the site did not load as quickly as some. That may be due to the slide show? Maybe there is a way to reduce the size of the script.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Essar

site

Post by Essar »

Hello Sylvie

Open any pdf documents in a separate window not your main window - they are not web pages just documents - try a more contemporary font and lose the shape pictures (thumbs up etc).

Try using a menu bar for your links to other pages and documents rather than linked text in different areas of the home page (you should keep them aswell if you have a menu bar).

Agree with other post lose the Google translator, it irritates as you click around your site.

The linen charges just go on and on, your potential guests are going to give up on trying to calculate the true costs. If you can include all your local taxes and linen/towels into your main tariff price then do it, its so much easiers for guests.

You need more info on deposits, balance due when, security deposit if you have one and how you accept payment, keep it together with your pricing.

Agree with others your beach pictures are great but the street scenes and local shops etc are unnecessary. The video idea is great but you should "dress" the apartment so it looks as it would when your guests arrive - no dishes on the drainer, clean and tidy - not looking like you did it when you stayed for week yourselves and just had a quick idea to film a video.

Sorry for being so rude, your area looks fantastic, the beach is to die for, bring your site up to reflect the area and the facilities you provide to match.
"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note"
"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise"
"As for my amnesia, I've had it as long as I can remember"
la vache!

Re: site

Post by la vache! »

Essar wrote: The linen charges just go on and on, your potential guests are going to give up on trying to calculate the true costs.
I was going to jump to Sylvie's defence and say that it is normal to pay extra for bed linen and towels until I saw that list. To charge for mattress protectors is ridiculous, even for the French!
I'm getting more and more French people who come back because there is so much included now, and they are happy to pay perhaps a little more than the normal price rather than be hit with all the extras (or find absolutely nothing provided when they arrive in a rental).