In today's Telegraph

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
kendalcottages

In today's Telegraph

Post by kendalcottages »

Not a very good article I don't think, but I'll share it anyway...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/sea ... ncome.html
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.
charles cawley

Post by charles cawley »

Sloppy journalism:

"The number of enquiries for holiday cottages has also been growing exponentially, more than doubling since 2008."

But the article is worth a look to see the hype going around. Many of journalists are still exhorting little people to sink large sums into stocks and the endless pictures of conceited families beaming at the head of articles about pensions etc: still bombard us in the financial supplements.

Holiday Lets can make reasonable money, but selling the idea that this can be done without careful / good management seems to perpetuate the idea you can get rich and stay rich just by investments alone.
No web-site for now.
Advice about holiday letting
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

Yes, Charles...

The quote isn't helpful either:

“We had to de-chintz it first,” Steve recalls. “We had a mortgage, so it made sense to let it for one week in four to meet the repayments. We kept back the weeks we wanted for ourselves and so it was effectively ours for free.

:roll: :roll: :roll: No, no, no... it wasn't free at all!!!

That's like saying if I take out an ad for £200 and I get even just one booking for a short break, then the ad has paid for itself. No... it hasn't!!!! :lol:
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.
Windy

Post by Windy »

LOL - I do so hate those smug "Peregrine used to be a banker but he and Claudia decided to up sticks and sink this year's bonus in a delightful £2 million cottage in the Cotswolds" articles.

Still I'm glad Steve has time for Muffin the donkey.
charles cawley

Post by charles cawley »

I've just looked at it again.

Nausiating.

Poor Muffin, the beast deserves better.
No web-site for now.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Windy wrote:LOL - I do so hate those smug "Peregrine used to be a banker but he and Claudia decided to up sticks and sink this year's bonus in a delightful £2 million cottage in the Cotswolds" articles.
Well, with your comment and that from Charles I really thought I ought to read and now I need a new keyboard (don't ask).
Windy wrote: Still I'm glad Steve has time for Muffin the donkey.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I didn't realise The Telegraph condoned such practices........
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

“We feed the animals every weekday morning with the children,” says Steve.
Saves a packet on their expensive educations, I suppose?

Jim
charles cawley

Post by charles cawley »

Sometimes you suspect journalists have a sense of humour.
No web-site for now.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

The rise of the staycation, the frugal alternative to the holiday abroad

ROFL, the rental price of most cottages in the UK are about double the price of anywhere on the continent.
charles cawley

Post by charles cawley »

Yes, but the balance is changing?

Also the ability to take short breaks is much more attractive if you can do so at home.
No web-site for now.
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

la vache! wrote:The rise of the staycation, the frugal alternative to the holiday abroad

ROFL, the rental price of most cottages in the UK are about double the price of anywhere on the continent.
I seem to remember we had a thread on this topic last year, but I'm not convinced that you average UK rental is double the cost of your average rental on the continent. Plus, when weighing up the cost of the holiday, you need to factor in other costs (eg. getting there).
Holiday Ray

Post by Holiday Ray »

Another very thinly disguised advert for a house sale, purporting to be an interesting article about 'The joys of owning and running your own Holiday Rental' :roll:
a film location favourite where Rex Harrison famously talked to the animals in Doctor Dolittle. Tourists flock to admire the centuries-old stone weavers’ cottages, the humpbacked bridge, the old water pump and everything quintessentially English. Steve and Jenny bought it in 2004 and haven’t looked back.

I feel nauseous
We had to de-chintz it first,” Steve recalls. “We had a mortgage, so it made sense to let it for one week in four to meet the repayments. We kept back the weeks we wanted for ourselves and so it was effectively ours for free.
Quick, fetch me a bucket
The website HL's says around a quarter of those it surveyed for its recent Holiday Lettings Insights Report said they would consider investing in a holiday home to supplement their income,
So what HL's are saying is that 75% of them would not even consider investing in a holiday home to supplement their income ? (There I go again, with my statistics :roll: )

I guess that might be something to do with the fact that if one were to buy 'said cottage' at £440,000 one would indeed need to have a very high occupancy in order to pay the mortgage on it.
Someone on here might want to do the maths, but not me, I have better things to do (like go to bed - it's late !)
So when one deducts all of the overheads and running costs (not forgetting tax on income etc), one imagines that one would have to 'go some' in order to make the property "ours for free" !

(Ray steps down from soap box and retires for the evening :wink: )
Ray
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

kendalcottages wrote: I seem to remember we had a thread on this topic last year, but I'm not convinced that you average UK rental is double the cost of your average rental on the continent. Plus, when weighing up the cost of the holiday, you need to factor in other costs (eg. getting there).
We'll have to agree to disagree in that case. I'm going on comments from guests, many of whom look at the UK for a week first but decide to come to France because it works out cheaper, even with the added cost of transport.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Mmm, I'm intrigued by your comment LV and wouldn't be surprised if what you say is true - but the further south one goes in France, so do the prices rise for rentals of comparable properties, by and large. The more reliable weather has its premium and I'd be interested to know how rates eg in South West of France* compare with similarly sized (and spec) properties in the UK - OK we'd have to include those in the UK without pools, since this constitutes the majority!

*not "the South", as it commands its own price!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Marks

Post by Marks »

2 minutes searching on HL and I found a 3 bed/3 bath villa with private pool and large garden on the Costa Blanca for £750 for 7 nights in August and cheapest available flights (from Skyscanner) for 6 people are £1074.

A 3 bed/3bath house with private pool in Newquay for £1945 for the same period.

We may be cheap on the CB but at least we can guarantee the sun.
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.