Do You Supply Initial Enquirers With Exact Rental Address?

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
pambon

Do You Supply Initial Enquirers With Exact Rental Address?

Post by pambon »

I have recently received an enquiry which also included the request of the exact address of the rental property.

Since no confirmation has been forthcoming I politely declined to give the exact address ' for security reasons' until confirmation and payment of the deposit.

Was I right or wrong? What would other LMH'ers have done?

(I have often received this request once confirmation and payment has been made but this is a first time for me while still at the initial enquiry stage.)

BTW the enquirer is genuine - no scam!
revdev

Post by revdev »

A good decision I think.
See the job, do the job!
http://www.premiumturkishvillas.co.uk
Tizfata

Post by Tizfata »

Hi Pam! :D
Sometimes I do, I'd say 40-50% of times... It depends on the wording of the enquiry.
Mostly because my town is not know and I want them to googlemap the place, see the country and the pool and check the distances by themselves.
But I understand those who do not provide the exact address.
https://www.facebook.com/lascuoladifurio

There's no second chance to make a first impression
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I just advise them of the road we are situated on, and don't give them the exact location or apartment number. The residence is on Google Earth so they can locate us to one of 30 apartments.
harcourtv57

Post by harcourtv57 »

I do the same as Helen - but we are in an apartment block so it would be pretty difficult for them to identify the exact apartment until we have given out the address, which we don't do until rental is received.
LaVilleauTady

Post by LaVilleauTady »

Pambon,

I don't have any problem with supplying the exact address, and provide a Google map link from my web site as well.

From the renters point of view, they want reassurance that the property does exits and to be able to check out distances themselves. So many rental adverts are dishonest when it comes to quoting distances to the local village/town/beach etc, I know it is something I would want to do.

I've noticed the recent trend for listing sites is to include a map showing the location of the property. Even VRBO has caught up with this trend!
pambon

Post by pambon »

Oh dear, a 50-50 decision I fear :?
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Well, I have my address and website address in every email I send, so I suppose I let everyone who writes to me know exactly where I live (if they bother to read the signature, and I'm guessing that by the follow up emails regarding availability etc. a lot of people don't even notice it).
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

I don't give exact address details until they've booked.
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.
Wendy@NorthIdaho

Post by Wendy@NorthIdaho »

I don't give the exact address until about a week before their scheduled arrival. We are in an area that is a bit remote and no one is around for 1/2 the year except for one or two full time residents. I really don't want to advertise what dates no one is there, along with photos of what is there... so the advice I've received and followed is to not give it out. When I'm asked why I don't give it out I say it is to protect the privacy of my guests while they are there which is true. When someone is there I don't want someone to come looking around bothering my guests with questions or invading the "space" they've purchased for their vacation.

We do have a google map on our website and different listing sites and it shows them the street and where they are on the lake, they can also see where the nearest town is, etc.. just not the exact house.

My 2 cents,
Wendy
New Vacation Rental called DayStar Lodge! (Sold Narrows Cottage now have a rental management company called A-List Rental Management)
The Olive Grove

Post by The Olive Grove »

I give details about a week before arrival. I just think it is plum crazy on listing sites to say "here are photos of my place, here is the address, oh and if you look at the availability calendar you can see when it will be empty to rob it". Just my thoughts.
pambon

Post by pambon »

The Olive Grove wrote:I give details about a week before arrival. I just think it is plum crazy on listing sites to say "here are photos of my place, here is the address, oh and if you look at the availability calendar you can see when it will be empty to rob it". Just my thoughts.
That was going through my head when I replied to the enquirer; although it's in a quiet residential area a couple of neighbours have had, over the years, uninvited visitors so a partially occupied rental property could be even more at risk:(

Thanks for your comments.
CarolineH

Post by CarolineH »

My address is onl my website anyone can find me - it's also on Google Maps - people have said that they have virtually driven past on street view - this gives them the confidence that what they see on the website is what is really there!

However, I live on site and rarely leave home :oops: , so security is not really an issue for me.
pambon

Post by pambon »

I'm also on google maps but haven't put my address on my website. We are also on site (albeit upstairs on the 4 & 5th floors while the apt is ground floor) but the apt is accessible by any unscrupulous person on three sides of the property:(