Out of season plans

Come for a relaxed chat about anything at all and meet your fellow rental owners.
Sue Dyer

Out of season plans

Post by Sue Dyer »

Just having the bliss of being able to use our cottage again and pick up on our country living made me wonder - is there anything you pick up on out of season - a sport/hobby etc?

We love to go walking up in the Cheviots and coast in Northumberland. To add a bit of excitement we do geocaching - this treasure hunting with a GPS (global positioning can't remember what the S stands for!!! Satellite??) There's a site www.geocaching.com which gives you the grid refs/co-ordinates of the "treasure" site, it's fairly accurate but when you get a clue like "behind the hawthorn bush" and there's a dozen of them, you can often end up scrambling around for a while looking very suspicious...

The "treasure" is in a tupperware box or similar and always comprises a log book so you can record your visit and little bits like key rings, small toys, badges. You take something and leave something. The real prize is a good walk and finding the cache!!

It's a worldwide thing - Put your post code into the site and find the nearest to you. We found a newish one last week that we had walked passed many times and not realised it was there...

Our less enegetic village pursuit is joining in the community club bingo/raffle on a saturday night!!!!
livinginitaly

Post by livinginitaly »

Wow, didn't know orienteering had come so far!, lol

Been a long time since I took part in any events organised or not, but i'll certainly be taking a glance through the website you mention.

Sounds great, merging my increasing need for 'proper exercise' and fresh air, with my deep craving for 'boys toys'... how perfect is that?!

by the way, the 'S' stands for 'System' as in, 'Global Positioning System' :)
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

we just go off on our own for the geocaching... just as well as there's a few arguments when we have difficulty finding the cache!! There's some in cities too - some are "virtual" caches where you follow clues from monuments etc. All you need is your GPS, a map and a bit of patience!!

I have fun too finding stuff for the boxes as the "treasure" has to be very small and not spoilt easily by damp.