Scam or not?

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
Guest3

Scam or not?

Post by Guest3 »

We initially had an enquiry for 3 months from this gentleman..but he is now willing to accept 2 weeks (actually 15 nights)...but still not too sure whether this is a scam or not. His English is not too good in the email..and he hasn't bothered to correct the mispelling of his surname from the 3 emails we've had from him so far. Even though he states he has an associate that owes him money he's not requesting he sends more than the required rental fee..which is normally the scam. I tried the phone numbers the 702 mobile is constantly engaged and the other one is dud. Gut instinct says no. Opinions anyone??

Dear Andre & Crystal,

Thanks for the reply am very happy to hear from you that Currently you have the 1-30 March available, so you can choose any two weeks moreso have been able to choose this date 15th of march 2006 to 3oth of march 2006.

The cost for the period is £1590 plus additional security deposit of £100 which is refundable providing no damage or excess electricity usage that is no problem.

Hope you have it in mind that am presently in kuwait on a business trip i preffer to make the payment in advance .

Without any delay as regards to the payment i will instruct my business associate owing me 6,000 pounds to issue the payment £1590 plus additional security deposit of £100 in your name.

So send the below information for payment.

1)FULL NAME THAT WILL BE WRITTEN ON THE CHEQUE
2)CONTACT ADDRESS WHERE THE CHEQUE WILL BE SENT TO
3)THE NEAREST AIRPORT TO YOU
4)TELEPHONE AND FAX NUMBER.

I AWAIT THE INFORMATION
SHELTON BRWON
TEL +447024066780 OR +448715045255
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Sounds a bit dodgy to me.
paolo

Post by paolo »

Total scam. If you went ahead he would send you a 'payment' for the £6,000 his colleague owes him then email saying 'Oh no he misunderstood and I need the remainder immediately to pay for my mother's life-saving operation'.

An 0702 number is a roving number - it can forward to any number, including I suppose, very premium rate ones.
Last edited by paolo on Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Nightowl

Post by Nightowl »

Sounds dodgy to me to; why do you need to know he has a business associate that owes him money? Why would that associate pay you if he can't pay him?

I can't put my finger on why I don't like it,but I don't.

I think I'd decline it.
Nightowl
Forever going one step forwards and two
backwards......
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

i'm playing his game!! :wink: Must admit the emails bouncing back and forwards must be irritating him. Keeping me amused anyway!

By the way matey now owes him 6500 not 6000!!

I've sent him an email asking for cash to be deposited (haven't given him any bank details)...just waiting to see what he says next...after which I will kindly decline!!

"Dear Andre & Crystal,

Thanks for quick response,i have gone through your mail stated that 15th March and departing 30th March is actually 15 nights. So there will be an additional £113 added to the rental quoted This will make the total rental due to £1703 + £100 security deposit.

I find it difficult to get you on phone ,Well there is no problem go ahead and send the booking form i agree with the the amount moreso send the below information for payment.

Without any delay as regards to the payment i will instruct my business associate owing me 6,500 pounds to issue the payment £1703 + £100 security deposit. in your name.
So send the below information for payment.

1)FULL NAME THAT WILL BE WRITTEN ON THE CHEQUE
2)CONTACT ADDRESS WHERE THE CHEQUE WILL BE SENT TO
3)THE NEAREST AIRPORT TO YOU
4)TELEPHONE AND FAX NUMBER.

I AWAIT THE INFORMATION
SHELTON BRWON

TEL +447024066780 OR +448715045255"
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

If you went ahead he would send you a 'payment' for the £6,000 his colleague owes you then email saying 'Oh no he misunderstood and I need the remainder immediately to pay for my mother's life-saving operation'
Thanks for the advice Paolo..I didn't look at it from that point of view. It was because he didn't say he was going to give me more money that I wondered 'is it' or 'isn't it'. Maybe they're taking a different approach like you mentioned above to get people to hand over money.

Well, not heard a peep from Shelton since I asked for cash. :D

I've emailed the rental listing company and forwarded his email to warn them of the scam.
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

Yeah, string him along. Sounds as bent as a nine bob note!
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

Bingo!! :lol:

Got a reply..the expected one of course!

"Dear Andre & Crystal,

Thanks for the reply i have gone through your mail that you cannot accept cheque so let forget about the booking.

shelton brwon"
ramon

One more...

Post by ramon »

TOTAL SCAM !!!!!!