Food allergys

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Paul Carmel

Food allergys

Post by Paul Carmel »

Hi,
We have some guests coming who have gluten allergys, and have asked us if they can buy any gluten free food in Calvi.

Not wanting sound like a prat on our responce, could anyone tell me what they might be looking for?
Cheers
PC
debk

Post by debk »

Paul - Around here, I'd look to a health food store (or international grocer with health food section) for gluten-free flour, breads, biscuits and pasta. Perhaps you have something similiar in your area?

Living with Coeliac disease, or gluten allergies, is no picnic.
debk
ps- More, below.
Gluten occurs in bread, biscuits, cakes and pastries, pasta, breakfast cereals and is also used in some manufactured soups and sauces. Gluten is also 'hidden' in some foods such as crisps and similar snacks, as well as chips in restaurants.

Cooking oil (or mixed vegetable oil) can contain wheat-germ oil, so use sunflower or olive oil instead. Malt vinegar, soy sauce, mustard and mayonnaise contain gluten. Beer and whisky are made from grain containing gluten, but other alcoholic drinks, such as wine or cider are gluten-free.

It is probably best to avoid oats as they may contain a small amount of gluten. Oats have generally been shown not to upset people with coeliac disease. However, most oats are milled and stored in the same mills as wheat and are probably contaminated with gluten.
paolo

Post by paolo »

Paul,

Look for a bio (organic) or dietetique shop - in France they tend to be the same thing. If there is one in Calvi it is very likely to have some gluten-free things. I don't think supermarkets stock anything.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Gluten is essentially wheat, right?

It's my understanding that rice doesn't have gluten, nor does meat, nor veggies/fruit. So on some level it's possible to live gluten-free without buying special (and expensive) snacks and supplies. But that doesn't seem to be what they're asking...
Brooke
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

In the UK you can get it from your local pharmacy on prescription, so maybe you can ask there? All of the stuff can be bought too.
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Thanks folks,

I have asked for a specific list from them,,,,,,,we shall see :shock: You have to remember Calvi is small ( 5000 ) in the winter.
Cheers
PC
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Paul, I assume there is a local pharmacy though?
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Helen,

Yes, we have a hand full, for a small town like Calvi, and they all seem to thrive. I think we must be living with a bunch of hypochondriacs.
Cheers
PC
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

How I wish I was a pharmacist in France, Corsica, or even Italy, better pay, better respect.
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

I don't know about better pay, but on the receiving end, has anyone ever got out of a French pharmacy with just one product? You go in for a sore throat and come out with 2 types of syrup, some lozenges, some anti inflammatory tablets and a suppository for good measure. Back in the UK it was suck on a fisherman's friend ( no pun intended ) And get on with it.
Cheers
PC
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Is it any surprise that the French health system is 13 billion euros in debt??
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Susan wrote:Is it any surprise that the French health system is 13 billion euros in debt??
No surprise at all. Providing the world's No 1 health service is expensive, not helped by the over-prescribing which is endemic in the system.

By the way, it’s the World Health Organisation who says it’s No 1 in the world not me although my personal experience supports that 100%.

Alan
paolo

Post by paolo »

Paul Carmel wrote:Back in the UK it was suck on a fisherman's friend ( no pun intended )
Paul,

I am tempted to ask for clarification on this pun, but I'd better not.
Paolo
Lay My Hat