Group booking for two properties

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
Nemo

Group booking for two properties

Post by Nemo »

For those of you with two or more properties, I'm wondering how to handle requests/what to expect for bookings that want both properties.

As they are small and seat four on the sofas and four for dining, I'm concerned about groups of 7/8 people renting both and then congregating in one. So far it has been a two family request. They are not next door, or even in sight of each other, but a short walk away (less than a minute).

My first booking is next week for two families, so time will tell, but in the meantime I've had a request for a discount for hiring both (a short break in March). Clearly there is no saving for me and the potential for a lot of wear and tear, so what approach should I take?

Discount or not, a security deposit even though I don't normally, an email voicing my concerns?!
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Our three gites (on the same site) are regularly booked by big groups and we view this as a significant marketing opportunity. Of course, everybody tends to congregate in the largest gite and crockery/cultery walks in the same direction, but these are minor disadvantages against the value of bookings that we wouldn't have achieved otherwise.

We find that families/extended families/friends wish to book multi-gite communal holidays, but also appreciate their own space. Nemo, in your place, I'd be proactively offering the possibility of joint bookings for both properties as another option for guests. We don't charge extra for multi-gite groups because we've never found them to present a problem with damage or cleanliness. Quite the reverse, in fact.

Jim
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I don't give a discount for multi property bookings because the cleaning involved is the same and the time taken to put things back in the correct property can be a pain. I don't take a security deposit, but I always ask the person who booked if they could ensure that everything is put back in it's correct house before the departure. Aside from that, I have no issues, but I wouldn't even think about giving a discount unless it is in a very quiet period when I'd be unlikely to let them separately at fully price.
Annew

Post by Annew »

As you know Nemo, I book both of my cottages to the same party quite often.

It's usually absolutely fine. I do ask that guests make sure that crockery, etc is left in the correct cottage and I do take a double deposit. I also give a discount for renting both (between 5 and 10% depending on the time of year)

I've only ever had one problem set of guests and, ironically, it was staff members from the holiday rental company that used to market my properties. They were shockers - left both cottages dirty with furniture and crockery scattered between the two.

I did take a double deposit from a hen group last year (I was a little worried), but they left the place immaculate and were model guests!

If I were you I would speak to the potential guest on the phone and voice your concerns. You'll probably be able to get a gut feeling of what to do once you've spoken to them. I would definitely take a damage deposit if you are in any way worried about wear & tear.
If you want to find me, Google The Barton Poughill!
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Following on from this I have had another group booking request.

To add the detail to the booking I started this thread about.....two young families, both with dogs, one a repeat guest who had left the place fine before and had even admitted to breaking a saucepan lid. She had a third child so there was a baby in a cot.

Both places were left in an awful state. One dog had spread its fur throughout both properties, everywhere. Blue "pop" had been dropped, going under furniture and staining the tile grout. Again this "pop" was in both properties. A washable bath mat had something spilt that acted like glue and could not be salvaged. A toilet seat was broken. No damage was ever admitted and I didn't bother to chase them. My cleaner and daughter spent five hours cleaning them. So I have not had a good experience!

This morning I have an enquiry for both properties, a week in September and also looking for two more properties on site. These are four familes wishing to celebrate a 60th birthday. At the moment it's an ebay enquiry with no contact details other than an ebay message.

I feel I do not want the booking and can just see trouble ahead. I would need to liase with two other owners at no gain to myself and probably a lot of extra work. 16 people of all ages (don't know about dogs) gathering in any of the properties just won't work. They are small and seat/dine four comfortably but no more.

I re-read the above comments and found that obviously experience one was the opposite to your experiences and a complete nightmare, esp if there is nowhere large enough to congregate together. Thoughts on this one please?

edited to amend number of people
Last edited by Nemo on Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Windy

Post by Windy »

Nemo - I too get a a bit twitchy about groups, especially when our largest lodge is involved as we just KNOW that's where everyone will end up.

We do have a clause limiting occupancy to 8 at any one time without prior permission, but it wouldn't be easy to enforce.

Touch wood, so far we have not had an issue except for a phone call about noise out on the decking in high summer once.

Intuitively it feels like it's a more risky proposition though doesn't it?

Like all these things it depends on how much you need that particular booking. We just had a similar dilemma with a repeat booking request from someone who left dog poo all over the lawn.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Our situation is a bit different; all three properties are in the same barn conversion, the two smaller ones (each of which sleeps 4) can be linked at the lounges. One of those two has sufficient dining space for all 8, so that's all fine.

Occasionally we let all 3 properties together; not often as the changeover day is different, but it happens - last was at New Year with a group of 14. Again, we can organise things such that all can eat together by putting an extra table in one property.

We're happy to take groups of 8 in the two linking properties; we don't discount on the deal, and as has already been remarked the work involved is generally more than letting the two separately. We don't actively market for larger groups taking all three. It doesn't suit us, we can't service all three units in one day, so it's an out of season (or Xmas & New Year when it's quiet either side) thing.

Crockery does go walkies. Some time back I made up inventory lists for every cupboard and drawer in the kitchens and stuck them inside them; it serves two purposes - enables us to do a count up and know what should be there, and (maybe surprisingly) seems to encourage guests to put stuff back where it came from. However, we still expect to play "Hunt the glass" at the changeover following multi occupation - it's pretty much inevitable.

Your situation is obviously a bit different; I think I'd want to stress to the guests that neither property had sufficient seating or dining space for the whole group, but that isn't going to stop everyone sitting around in one place with a takeaway. It's going to happen, and if you try and "legislate" against it you create a bad feeling; guests with a bad feeling are trouble.

I think it's a useful market; it brings additional problems, but generally it should be worth the extra work. But only your own experience in your own properties will tell.

Oh yes - we're on site, and I think that can make a bit of a difference.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Greenbarn wrote: I think it's a useful market; it brings additional problems, but generally it should be worth the extra work. But only your own experience in your own properties will tell.
That's the crux - it should be worth the extra work. The only way it will be is if I believe I might not let the properties otherwise. That I can't tell, because I only have a couple of September bookings, but it's early days for that late in the season.

I feel sure it will create more work and I had misread the original request - it is only for a weekend - more income than a week in percentage terms but I'll put money on the fact that more cleaning will be required and there is a huge potential for damage.

I think I will reply but stress that none of the properties are suitable for them to gather in and that I would require a significant damage deposit.
NewquayGetAway

Re: Group booking for two properties

Post by NewquayGetAway »

Nemo wrote:For those of you with two or more properties, I'm wondering how to handle requests/what to expect for bookings that want both properties.

As they are small and seat four on the sofas and four for dining, I'm concerned about groups of 7/8 people renting both and then congregating in one. So far it has been a two family request. They are not next door, or even in sight of each other, but a short walk away (less than a minute).

My first booking is next week for two families, so time will tell, but in the meantime I've had a request for a discount for hiring both (a short break in March). Clearly there is no saving for me and the potential for a lot of wear and tear, so what approach should I take?

Discount or not, a security deposit even though I don't normally, an email voicing my concerns?!

Hi,

I give 5% discount for more than one booking, I put a price list of all items if they are to be broken - havn't had any problems to date.
elena

Post by elena »

If we had 2 or 3 gites I wouldn't hesitate to encourage off season group bookings - it's a definite bonus for times when some may lie empty.

We have 7 gites and although there are times when several gites being booked at once is very welcome I have to admit to hesitating in the busier periods as I feel it could be a bit unfair on other guests if they are subjected to the "group effect" and end up feeling swamped.
The dynamics do change with groups & there's no way of telling how it'll go beforehand. One gite does usually get used as the base with loads of mess and people trailing in & out and all the stuff does get mixed up even although most people try to sort it all out before they leave. If other guests are checking in the same day I find it a huge extra pressure getting it all back to normal & getting everyone out on time. If there's no hurry to catch a plane they usually linger chatting to each other & I hate giving the impression that I'm shoving them out...

For all these reasons we never discount groups unless perhaps they take all 7 gites in a quiet time and not many checking in back to back.

Elena

Dordogne holiday cottages
Tales from our Dordogne gites
join Les Crouquets on Facebook – if you like us, please like us!!
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

My houses are always[well 99%] rented together.
In fact I dont take a booking for one house in the busy months as I would then be left with one house to rent,and theres so much competition for 3 bedroomed houses where we are,I think Id be left with it empty.
My rates are higher than similar houses and I get a better percentage of bookings as group bookings are my selling point.
I do have things go walkabout, but the houses are joined and as the next group with be sharing both houses,its not too much of a problem.
Re 'wear and tear' well I bought the houses to be rented together and I dont really see it as a problem.
I dont rent to hen /stag groups or large groups of teens[rightly or wrongly]...... but I dont.
Have had a couple of groups that caused damage but a very small percentage over the years Ive rented,and it goes with the territory.[doesnt mean I dont get riles when it 'appens though, but it quickly passes.
I do take a damage/key deposit, but have only had to keep any of it a couple of times[and then it was ALL of it]. But another reason I take a damage/key deposit to get the keys returned promptly[and even then they often arent].
I think its up to the individual if they want to rent more than one house together.But for me, its my bread and butter.