Creating a Facebook page for your business Part 1 2012

Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter, Linkedin, Youtube, TikTok, etc.
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

GG and Yorkshire Lass duly liked! For me this is not only a fantastically useful topic, but it's also turning into a major nostalgia fest as I also used to live in Scarborough! (Still miss it, especially the SJ theatre). Your house looks lovely, Yorkshire Lass.

Well done Nemo on getting to the 25. I'm still plodding on so if anyone else would like to like me I'd be eternally grateful. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Maison-G ... ef=tn_tnmn

You could always unlike me when I hit the target. I won't be offended :lol:
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

Liked FC (as are Sueand Yorkshire Lass also, I forgot to mention that)... I'm sure with LMH's help, you'll get there in no time. :)
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

I've joined in the liking lovefest too :D

If I notice any of the folk I know from here put on last minute specials or similar I "share" and I'm always grateful when they return the favour.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Yes I was thinking that Sue, but who are you sharing with?

My personal page only has 11 friends currently (because as you know I'm not actually a fan of facebook.....yet....), so that doesn't go far, but does the same thing happen when you share from a business page - are you sharing with your "likes" from your page or your "friends" from your profile or both?
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

I have now 'liked' those of you who I was missing. So if anybody wants to 'like' back, the more the merrier: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bavarian- ... 178?v=wall
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

My shares tend to be Windy, Enid, Ros and Stu and any other I notice that post.

More from my page, I don't put anything on FB that I'd mind guests (some of who are FB friends) seeing. They'll know exciting stuff like which birds are in my garden and I go to my local pub a lot :-)

A couple of frequent guests are friends of myself and Lily Cottage. They sometimes post or comment on posts and are great publicists for me. (One of them let me use the lovely photo which tops my website).
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Still not clear on the sharing front Sue! So you are sharing Windy et all, when you notice they have news etc, but do you get to choose who you share it with or does it just go out to everyone? You are sharing such news/offers etc with your friends on your personal profile, but if you are on your business page for Lily are you sharing it with your likes?

Another thought - if you share from your business page, does that mean the news from the other business would appear on your business page wall? That would slightly defeat the point of having a page to promote your business I guess? Or would you then choose to leave or delete it?

Sorry, it's taking a while to get my head around this and the implications. :)
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

Nemo wrote:Still not clear on the sharing front Sue! So you are sharing Windy et all, when you notice they have news etc, but do you get to choose who you share it with or does it just go out to everyone? You are sharing such news/offers etc with your friends on your personal profile, but if you are on your business page for Lily are you sharing it with your likes?
Yes, I think that's right...

But just because you share stuff, it doesn't necessarily mean that everyone will see it in their feed. I think if they've looked at your posts with any degree of frequency in the past, then you get a greater chance of more people seeing you (if that makes sense).

You'll notice on mine that I have 2,812 likes but only "11 talking about this site". That doesn't mean only 11 readers, but gives you some indication that a lot of your fans might not necessarily be seeing what you're saying.

After a few days of doing a post, you'll sometimes gets stats about it that I think only the page owner can see. For example, I'm looking at one now from another page and beneath it it says "480 People Reached · 3 People Talking About This" so that, I think, relates to the number of people who might have seen it, and the number of people that actually commented on it. (In that particular instance, it's a Facebook page with 4,413 fans.)
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

Mine goes out to everyone but you can make a list to target if you like and just share with those people. I do this for one of the FB games I play so I don't annoy folk with the game postings.

I have picked up a new set of guests who are friends of repeaters with dogs. They saw the posts and photos from their visit and enquired so I guess that is 1 booking at least. I also have a "like" for FB on my website which a few guests have used.

I've just posted something on my Lily Cottage page and it also shows up on my personal page. I guess that happens with Stu, Windy's posts. Sorry, I'm not more help, I seem to have it working without knowing how.... :!:
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

Aaaargh, this is hellishly complicated (I guess we're all just too old :lol:). What seems to happen for me is that the feeds from my business page 'likes' don't appear on the business page itself - which is what I presume ordinary visitors would see - but they appear instead on the page that is my 'home page IF I've clicked on the 'Use FB as Maison Grillou' link on the left.

Sue, I suspect at some point you (as in your personal profile) 'liked' your Lily Cottage page and that's why you're seeing your Lily Cottage posts on your personal page.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

French Cricket wrote: Sue, I suspect at some point you (as in your personal profile) 'liked' your Lily Cottage page and that's why you're seeing your Lily Cottage posts on your personal page.
:idea: Light bulb moment - thanks FC that makes perfect sense, even if the rest is more of a suck it and see approach!

On to the case with the like button or badge if I can make anything work on my site that is!
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

A badge is now on my website (comments page) with reasonable difficulty, but that's just because it's a google site.

I added a badge, as opposed to a "like" button etc but it wasn't until it was live that I saw how large it was. All I want is a small "like" button that takes the user to my facebook page (opening in a separate window). However that needs a plug in or more complex stuff and having wasted an hour or more I gave up.

One person did talk about creating a gif and then making it link to her page which sounds possible, but I think I shouldn't waste any more time!
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I use my personal account and my business page completely separately, although it is possible to mix up the accounts if you don't change them sometimes. This is my page if anyone wants to 'like' it. I try not to do too many updates as I think that can put people off if their FB page timeline is constantly full of one person's updates.
Windy

Post by Windy »

Duly liked Nemo :-)
This is my page if anyone wants to 'like' it
Where LV?
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Sorry, I'm so good at promoting my business, I forgot the link :oops:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Brittany- ... 9924052153