Discounting

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Thank you GG for your lovely comments! Yours is pretty fantastic too and I love your website - mine's only home-grown but I'm working on it...........

Kathy
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

I'm happy to give a 5% discount on 2-week bookings throughout the year. It makes good financial sense for me, as it cuts out a fairly long drive and a day of cleaning (done by yours truly...).

I also think this is a worthwhile gesture in terms of goodwill.

I have a certain respect for the motto: never say no to a client. There are ways and means of doing exactly that, of course, but generally speaking, I like to try and avoid the 'no' word. For example, I point out that we have four good bikes available for use, free of charge, representing a hire saving of around 140 euros per week...
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Jenny I do this too - offer a little discount for 2 weeks. Also for less occupancy - I've got 56 weeks booked across the 3 houses now and for some weeks there are only 2 or 3 in a house sleeping 6 so I have offered a little discount, which has been much appreciated. I know that there will be far less cleaning and laundry to do, and the discounts have been much appreciated.
I don't give discounts to people who ask up front for one!
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi

I did say both houses so its only 21 1/2 each house[if you see what i mean]....... :wink: :lol:
Loopy Lou

Post by Loopy Lou »

As a newbie just starting out this year properly, I received an enquiry for virtually all of June from one of my adverts asking what discount would be offered. I sent an email and also telephoned saying that they could have £100 off (fourth week half price), but I haven't heard back yet. The client said that they had emailed a dozen places! It was about 9.30 p.m. uk time when I phoned and he didn't seem very receptive, just asked for the reference of the property. This was a couple of days ago. I said I would hold the dates for a week. Should I try phoning back - if so, how soon? It would be fab to have this booking.

Difficult.

Thanks, guys,

LL
Louise
www.lacharronniere.com delightful gites in the Vienne countryside.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

I'd be inclined not to call again Lou - it can be very off-putting to a prospective punter - I know, as I was on the receiving end once. If he has any manners he'll call you or email one way or the other since he knows you're holding the slot for him; only email if you have another inquiry for June. I know it's tempting to chase, esp as it can be a difficult-ish time to fill, and it's for a month, but sit on your hands if you can. Well, that's my 2 euros worth (inflation you know). :D
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Loopy Lou

Post by Loopy Lou »

My finger nails will never recover. Did you warn me of the anxiety involved in this gite letting business? :?

I love meeting the guests. Just had a lovely young English couple who live in Spain up for a house hunting trip and stayed for 10 nights. I gave them a dinner and we had a great time, even though one of their dogs got loose and killed one of my chickens! A lesson learned - chickens stay shut in when there are visiting pets.

If I haven't heard from the June people by Saturday, I'll drop a short email as follow-up. If I don't hear again I will just have to accept that they haven't chosen me and be gutted.

Aargh!

LL
Louise
Loopy Lou

Post by Loopy Lou »

PS - It's great being one of the gang at last!!! :D
Louise
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

And what a fabulous gang it is too Loopy Loo!!

Kathy
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Loopy.....

Welcome to the Loony Gang as Loopy Lou you should fit in well 8)
[aint been there much recently]

Just Joking of course :wink:

...In this business you can only do what you can do...and I think youve done this time.....If he wants to book he will.......
If he doesnt you might get 4 weeks full price
[see there is always a way to make a bad situation better :wink: ]

Im sure things will work out well for you this season Good Luck!!!! :wink: :lol:
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

I agree Ros - I wouldn't email Lou, unless you hear from him. But that's me - do others agree too?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I wouldn't either - as a potential guest it would put me off. The only thing you could say if you really want to know on Saturday is that you've had another enquiry for 2 weeks in June and you obviously want to give him first refusal, but you need to know one way or the other as you have promised to let the 'fictional' guest know by the end of the weekend. (I've used that myself on a couple of occasions!)
One more thing I'd add - June can be a bit of an unknown quantity, but don't give up yet and don't be too quick to discount - it usually gets booked up a lot later than July and August. People know that it isn't peak and often leave it until March/April to book. We always get fully booked in June in the end, usually by families with pre school children.
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

GG, LL and everyone else...

I don't do much chasing :shock: , but in this case I think I might just dash off a friendly reminder email..it might clinch it for you one way or another (and whichever way it goes, at least you would be out of your misery...saving your nails :wink: )

Good luck!
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

Susan said
The only thing you could say if you really want to know....is that you've had another enquiry for 2 weeks in June and you obviously want to give him first refusal, but you need to know one way or the other as you have promised to let the 'fictional' guest know by the end of the weekend.

I don't badger enquirers, but if they initially seem really interested in booking but then I get no response I have used that as an excuse via email to find out if they are serious or not....if I don't get a response after that ...I take it as a definite no and no further contact is made.
Partridge

Post by Partridge »

Ditto Susan & Crystal, sometimes use the same excuse, just so that I can put it to bed.
Don't waste energy on things you can't change.

Costa de la Luz apartment rental
www.ownersdirect.co.uk/spain/S5386.htm