Questions for anyone with a heated pool

For anything to do with the garden and pool
elena

Post by elena »

We aim for 26° but if asked always add that the actual temperature may differ depending on the ambient temperature. If it's particularly cool outside our heater could be on all day & never reach 26°

Also the perceived temperature also depends on the outside weather conditions - if it's 40°+ outside 26° will feel refreshingly cool.

We leave a thermometer in the pool for people to check - as LV says it does show warmer at the surface but we can live with that! :wink:

Elena

Dordogne holiday cottages
Tales from our Dordogne gites
join Les Crouquets on Facebook
Annew

Post by Annew »

28/29 degrees for our indoor pool in the winter, but we had guests last week who complained it was too cold. But, that temp seems to keep everyone else happy.

We aim for 25/27 in the summer.
If you want to find me, Google The Barton Poughill!
Annew

Post by Annew »

28/29 degrees for our indoor pool in the winter, but we had guests last week who complained it was too cold. But, that temp seems to keep everyone else happy.

We aim for 25/27 in the summer.
If you want to find me, Google The Barton Poughill!
ccazes

Post by ccazes »

At what temperature is it viable to start heating the pool without it taking forever and costing an arm and a leg to maintain?

I was thinking to not put on the heating until the pool temperature gets to about 21-22. We have an outdoor pool in the south of France with a cover that is a pain to use so I am not sure that clients will bother pulling it over the pool each evening.

Does anyone put anything about pool heating and inclimate weather making it not possible to turn it on in their T&C's?
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

ccazes wrote:Does anyone put anything about pool heating and inclimate weather making it not possible to turn it on in their T&C's?
No, but I have an abri so can assure a temperature of at least 26°C even in April. It isn't cheap, but as long as I'm fully booked it is worth it. You could always mention charging heating as an extra (something I a) dislike and b) can't do because I have multiple properties. But if it isn't worth you heating, then say that it is only heated from x - x.
Last edited by la vache! on Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

ccazes wrote:We have an outdoor pool in the south of France with a cover that is a pain to use so I am not sure that clients will bother pulling it over the pool each evening.

Does anyone put anything about pool heating and inclimate weather making it not possible to turn it on in their T&C's?
No, we aim for 27º but I do say that's dependent on ambient temperature. I also say that pulling the bubble cover on every evening and when they're out will preserve the temperature but I suspect most of them can't be bothered.

Mind you, having said that, the bubble cover's in a terrible state after last season :evil: so it's being used enough.
Kathy
Waterfront location in Le Faou
"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."
ccazes

Post by ccazes »

Thanks!
I agree with LV about not charging for it.
We are just having it installed and have been told that after the initial heating period it costs very little to function. I think we will guarantee it from May 1st. April is always a bit hit and miss with very cold overnight temps even if daytime temps are good.
We will see how it all pans out....
CarolineH

Post by CarolineH »

la vache! wrote:I only heat from start April to start November. In April and end October the pool temp depends on the air temp too - if it is very cold then the heater can't heat to 28°C. I take the pool temperature from the bottom of the pool, not the surface as this gives an incorrect reading because it is warmer by some 3°C+.
My son was swimming in our pool this weekend - not me yet, it's too cold at 22°C. He tells me that it is warm at the top and the bottom - but not in the middle, so he has been swimming either on the surface or along the bottom. Why would that be, then?
Sam V
Location: Villa in Gale, Algarve, Portugal. At home in Fetcham, Surrey, UK

Post by Sam V »

We keep our pool very warm (surface heat around 29). I do charge per day/week as an optional extra but only about half what other villas in the area charge. This way I can turn it off and save electricity if its not needed or I can offer it 'free' as an added incentive. We've had a problem with the heating system the past couple of weeks, thought it was fixed but now turns out we have to replace the heating system. The guests this week are now complaing that heating is a necessity not a luxury and wants some sort of compensation despite the fact he had free heating, which he had asked as a freebie to secure the booking!
TA lurkers walk among us; the LMH Walking Dead

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

www.algarvevillatrinity.co.uk
www.facebook.com/villatrinity
www.gardenerscottage.promotemyplace.com
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

For me, heating is a necessity, not a luxury. Who wants to swim in a pool with an underwater temperature of less than 26°C (with the exception of children and Enid!)
Maybe it is the norm to charge extra for pool heating in Portugal, but it isn't here in France, despite the fact it probably costs a lot more - especially this cold April :(
enid

Post by enid »

:D
enid

Post by enid »

:D
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Friends have just come back from Portugal complaining of cold weather, so yes, if you are offering a pool I would say in April that heating is essential. I recall the pool in our villa in Algarve being cold each morning in June until the sun had warmed it up.
CarolineH

Post by CarolineH »

I have a heat pump, and an abri. When I started up the pool in mid-March I took some electricity readings and calculated the cost. With filtering only 24 hours a day, it cost 2.50€ for a 24 hour period and with the heat pump on (water was at 11°C, so it was working flat out) it cost an extra 3.50€ a day.

I don't think this is too much when my guests are paying 650€ a week.

BTW, I'm really glad that I did the readings, because I'm much less stressed about leaving it all on, flat out 24 hours a day!
enid

Post by enid »

well I'm not actually swimming yet as it's flipping freezing here and our heat pump isn't working! 3 visist from thetehcnicien and now we are waiting for a part - so doesn't look like Ill be enjoying my pool much beore I leave and I've family coming for the last time next week . Boo hoo